Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
2012 GOLDEN GODS / XBOX LIVE - 04/11/12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: 2012 GOLDEN GODS / XBOX LIVE - 04/11/12 Reply with quote

http://majornelson.com/2012/04/03/watch-the-fourth-annual-revolver-golden-gods-award-show-on-xbox-live/

On April 11th, Xbox LIVE will stream an exclusive event directly to your Xbox 360 console – the Fourth Annual Revolver Golden Gods Award Show, live from LA.

Celebrating the biggest and best in hard-rock and heavy metal, fans can tune into watch this sold out show right from their living room, with live performances from Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, Slash and many more.

This exclusive collaboration with Revolver Magazine signals the start of exciting new entertainment coming to Xbox LIVE. Starting today, fans can download the streaming app from Home, Video or Music on the dashboard. The pre-show begins at 9pm ET/6pm PT and the show kicks off at 11pm ET/8pm PT on Thursday, April 11, 2012.

This award show is available at no charge to all Xbox LIVE members in the following regions: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK and US. It will also be accessible for 24 hours on–demand for those with earlier bedtimes.

More information on the Revolver Golden Gods Award Show can be found here (http://www.revolvermag.com/goldengods/) and on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/#!/xbox/app_206157356151293).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that website wasn't blocked on my work computer. Nonetheless this seems pretty interesting, don't know where I've been to miss the other three, but I will definitely have to check this out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to watch it. Does anyone know of a site or youtube video where the whole show was posted? I can't find it anywhere. All I see is stuff saying watch it live on facebook/xbox live.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it anywhere now, but all I have to say is some of the awards I heard left me sitting there going ".... Really?"

Example #1: Jeremy Spencer getting Best Drummer of the year.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
I can't find it anywhere now, but all I have to say is some of the awards I heard left me sitting there going ".... Really?"

I literally just had to look up who that was, and the first 10 results on google are for Fleetwood Mac's guitarist by the same name. Who the hell gives these awards? Is it voted on by fans? Because that would explain it. Fans are morons, collectively.
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Nubnut wrote:

I literally just had to look up who that was, and the first 10 results on google are for Fleetwood Mac's guitarist by the same name. Who the hell gives these awards? Is it voted on by fans? Because that would explain it. Fans are morons, collectively.

Also the drummer of Five Finger Death Punch. Here are the winners (from Ultimate Guitar)

Best Guitarist
Jinxx and Jake Pitts (Black Veil Brides) WINNER*
Zoltan Bathory and Jason Hook (Five Finger Death Punch)
Willie Adler and Mark Morton (Lamb Of God)
Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel (Machine Head)
Dave Mustaine and Chris Broderick (Megadeth)
Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu (Trivium)

Best Drummer

Charlie Benante (Anthrax)
Jeremy Spencer (Five Finger Death Punch) WINNER*
Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
Chris Adler (Lamb Of God)
Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)

Best Vocalist
Sebastian Bach
Andy Biersack (Black Veil Brides)
James Durbin
Amy Lee (Evanescence) WINNER*
Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch)
Jonathan Davis (Korn)

Album Of The Year

Anthrax, "Worship Music"
Evanescence, "Evanescence"
Five Finger Death Punch, "American Capitalist"
Foo Fighters, "Wasting Light"
Korn, "The Path Of Totality" WINNER*
Lamb Of God, "Resolution"

Best Live Band

Avenged Sevenfold WINNER*
Foo Fighters
Guns N' Roses
Judas Priest
Seether
Tool

Most Metal Athlete

Gina Carano (MMA fighting)
Brian Deegan (pro motocross)
Evan Longoria (MLB baseball)
Dirk Nowitzki (NBA basketball)
Mitch Petrus (NFL football)
CM Punk (WWE wrestling) WINNER*

Comeback Of The Year

Anthrax
Dream Theater
Evanescence
Ministry
Slipknot WINNER*
Van Halen

Riff Lord

Scott Ian (Anthrax)
Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
Munky (Korn)
Slash WINNER*
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

Paul Gray Best Bassist

Frank Bello (Anthrax)
Michael Anthony (Chickenfoot)
Fieldy (Korn)
David Ellefson (Megadeth)
Nikki Sixx (Sixx:A.M.) WINNER*
Wolfgang Van Halen (Van Halen)

Best International Band

Behemoth
Lacuna Coil
Rammstein
Sepultura
Meshuggah
X Japan WINNER*

Most Dedicated Fans

Asking Alexandria
Black Veil Brides
Evanescence
Falling In Reverse
HIM

As soon as I saw BVB winning best guitarists I lost. This is absolutely pathetic. Also, A Path to Totality winning best album? Is this a fucking joke? Heritage and The Hunter didn't even make it as nominees.[/u]

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was unclear; the 11th result did learn me the name of FFD's drummer. But yeah, Thomas Haake. Come on now. Also I like the Foo Fighters but they aren't metal.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Tomas Haake and Brann Dailor. Why didn't they win?

Also, how come the awards are SO dominated by "tough guy" metal?.. fans are morons
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
PowerM3tal  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to critique the award winners. Looks like a lot of these were absolute BS.

Best Guitarist
Jinxx and Jake Pitts (Black Veil Brides)

Really? The guitarists of an overrated, whiny band that won't have any fans in two years? Why not Dave Mustaine and Broderick? Th1rt3en is one of the better newer albums by Megadeth, and songs like Whose Life, Black Swan, and Sudden Death give me hope for the metal genre.

Best Drummer
Jeremy Spencer (Five Finger Death Punch)

Who? Why not Charlie Benante or Brann Dailor? What has this guy done to get this award? That's not to say he's bad at drumming, just that others deserved it more.

Best Vocalist
Amy Lee (Evanescence)

I'm totally OK with this one. While I'm surprised at the lack of many melodic singers on the nominations, Amy Lee certainly was the best in this category.

Album Of The Year
Korn, "The Path Of Totality"

I don't know, I thought Worship Music and Resolution were awesome albums. I haven't heard The Path of Totality, but Korn never appealed to me either. I can't comment on this one.

Best Live Band
Avenged Sevenfold

Meh, it's debatable. I find that Judas Priests' last world tour was amazing and a great performance, while Tool has always impressed me too. I don't hate this choice.

Most Metal Athlete
CM Punk (WWE wrestling)

Fuck yes. Big WWE fan here, so obviously I wanted Punk to win. But how is he "metal"? Sure, his old theme was by Killswitch Engage, but the new theme is Cult of Personality...

Comeback Of The Year
Slipknot

I thought Anthrax or Van Halen would win this for sure. Once again, I haven't heard any of Slipknot's new stuff, so I can't make a decision here.

Riff Lord
Slash

Makes sense. The only other viable person I could've seen winning this is Zakk Wylde.

Paul Gray Best Bassist
Nikki Sixx (Sixx:A.M.)

I thought for sure Ellefson would win this one, but it seems that Megadeth and awards don't go very well together (just look at their track record at the Grammys). I hate Nikki Sixx as a person anyway, so my choice on this is very biased.

Best International Band
X Japan

I never thought a Japanese band would win this. I thought Lacuna Coil or Rammstein might win due to their presence in the states. X Japan is pretty unheard of here. Cool winners.

Most Dedicated Fans
Avenged Sevenfold

Weird award to give. It's like saying which band has douchier fans. In which case, either BVB or A7X deserve this award. IDGAF about this one.

Man, the Jews in Hollywood must hate Dave Mustaine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: powerm3tal
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black Veil Brides win bugs me and I like the band. Their last album was fairly solid heavy metal. Yeah their get up is silly, but they are aren't bad (Or even Emo as people love to say), but beating out Megadeth, Machine Head, Lamb of God, and even Trivium? Gotta love popularity contests :\

And how does Slipknot win with best comeback? They haven't come back with anything yet. I know they lost their bassist, but I'm pretty sure playing a few shows after that doesn't count as a comeback. Anthrax or Van Halen should've won, with Worship Music being their first new album in 8 years or Van Halen with Truth after 14 years, both returning with their (mostly) original singers and both albums being really great.

I don't know who was there for the rest of the live bands, but I gotta hand it to Avenged Sevenfold for putting on a good show last year. Their stage setup was pretty fun and they made me really enjoy a show from a band I thought had put out generally weak releases over the past couple years.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I literally disagree with every single one of those awards. Truly, there's not a one even out of the choices given that I would've gone with, most of them are who I would've chosen last (as in the case of Jeremy Spencer and the BVB guitarists).

Best Guitarists:
Seriously now, names like Dave Mustaine and Rob Flynn losing to two (at best) mediocre guitarists who lack any sense of originality? Really?

Best Drummer:
And as for drummer: Tomas Haake should've won hands down, the man's considered one of the greatest technical drummers in the history of metal, and he lost to a guy who I personally haven't seen do anything more than various rudiments.

Best Vocalist:
Honestly, there's not a vocalist on here I enjoy to listen to so I won't argue this one.

Album of the Year:
Sadly, not a one of these albums is in my top 10 from last year, however I would say that Worship Music is far and away the winner out of the choices here.

Best Live Band
A7X admittedly puts on a damn good show (and this is coming from someone who doesn't really enjoy their music), but when going up against legendary live performers like Judas Priest and Tool it just doesn't seem right. Though admittedly I'm not terribly upset by this.

Most Metal Athlete:
I honestly don't know a single person on this list so.... No critique here.

Comeback of the year
Wait, how is Slipknot even nominated? What comeback are we talking about? And how on earth did Anthrax (or even Van Halen) not win for that matter?

Riff Lord
This is another I don't have any major argument to, there's no one I would personally vote for here, but meh.

Best Bassist
I find myself agreeing with PowerM3tal, I personally detest Nikki Six both as a person and a musician. But honestly, the main thing that upsets me here is the fact that he beat David Ellefson AND Frank Bello, two of the greatest bassists in the history of mainstream metal.

I'll just leave this here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QCSjlJPFs&t=4m38s

Best International Band
Honestly while I personally would give this to Meshuggah I'm really glad that X Japan won, it's about damn time they got some recognition.

Most Dedicated Fans
Just.... Why? Also the fact that Dream Theater wasn't even nominated is just a WTF moment. Seriously these guys (used to) have fans that would follow them across the states and see 5-6 concerts per tour. Not to mention they sold out Radio City Music Hall in less than 2 days back in 2005 back when they're last radio hit was still Pull me Under.[/b]
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Guitarist

This saddens me to no end. Literally the WORST pairing in the nominations won this award. Any of the other contestants should have won it above these guys. I like the band kinda, but no, these guys did not deserve this award.

Best Drummer

While I like his drumming, no, he shouldn't have been the winner either. I'm not as mad about him winning as I was with BVB.

Best Vocalist Amy Lee (Evanescence) WINNER*
I am perfectly okay with this. She has a beautiful voice.

Album Of The Year Korn, "The Path Of Totality" WINNER*
Personally, American Capitalist was my favorite album of 2011, so I voted for that. So no, I don't agree, but to each his own.

Best Live Band Avenged Sevenfold WINNER*
My favorite concert I've ever gone to was last year's Rockstar Uproar Festival, which was headlined by A7x. They put on a fantastic show. I've never seen any of the other bands live, but according to them, they didn't deserve it so, even if you are mad they won ... at least they think you're right.

Most Metal Athlete CM Punk (WWE wrestling) WINNER*
I could not have given less of a shit if I tried.

Comeback Of The Year Slipknot WINNER*
I know what Slipknot is coming back from (paul gray) but what have they come back with? I think this award should have been given to Van Halen, but when Slipknot comes out with a new album, have them pretty much be a shoe-in for this award.

Riff Lord Slash WINNER*
It was either going to be him or Eddie. If it wasn't one of those two, I would have been pissed.

Paul Gray Best Bassist Nikki Sixx (Sixx:A.M.) WINNER*
I'm fine with this result.

Best International Band X Japan WINNER*
Count me surprised. I would have been okay with any of the bands winning, but I didn't expect X Japan to win. Kudos.

Most Dedicated Fans Avenged Sevenfold WINNER*

The only thing I could think of as the premise for this award is the amount of shit fans of the bands have to go through. Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band and I assure you, I get a LOT of crap for it sometimes. I also believe they deserved this due to helping the band through the tragic death of The Rev. So I'm happy, even though I think there are a lot of people who aren't.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say this whole event was more of an ode to hard-rock than metal of any kind, really. As such, I'm not in the least surprised at the "results" of a popularity contest like that. Hell, "Most Metal Athlete"? What are these, the Spike TV awards?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This awards show is first and foremost a fan-voted affair, so you HAVE to keep that in mind. The show is still so young/new that they can't really afford to piss of fans and have no one watching the show, but then again... when you let a few (or maybe a legion) of die-hard fans determine the results you are essentially shunning the rest of the fans... seems like a lose-lose either way.

So let's go award-by-award and get some commentary/thoughts:

Best Guitarist

-- None of these guitarists are "bad" by any means and technically this award is supposed to be based on the last year of work from these bands (considering they all had cds come out in 2011 or early 2012).. but this is a fan-voting ordeal and people will pick their latest favorite regardless of anything else. Realistically everyone in this category put out a solid body of work over the past 1-1.5 years, so there really isn't a wrong answer here, but who is the current favorite/who has more vote-happy fans. My personal taste is for Trivium and Lamb of God followed by Machine Head and Megadeth then BVB, then FFDP.. but to each their own.

Best Drummer
Charlie Benante (Anthrax)
Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
Chris Adler (Lamb Of God)
Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)

-- Again, no one here is "bad" by any means and since the fan-crazy BVB wasn't in the picks, FFDP won.

Best Vocalist
Sebastian Bach
Andy Biersack (Black Veil Brides)
James Durbin
Amy Lee (Evanescence) WINNER*
Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch)
Jonathan Davis (Korn)

-- Again, no one "bad" here, but there were definite lines between the best and the rest (imo). I was actually surprised that Amy Lee snagged this, because I thought BVB had it in the bag with their crazy fans.. but glad to see someone with an amazing range and powerful voice who truly deserved this one got it. Congrats Amy.

Album Of The Year
Anthrax, "Worship Music"
Evanescence, "Evanescence"
Five Finger Death Punch, "American Capitalist"
Foo Fighters, "Wasting Light"
Korn, "The Path Of Totality" WINNER*
Lamb Of God, "Resolution"

-- I'm sorry, but I have to cry foul on this one. I've listened to all of these cds extensively and I just CANNOT get into Korn's latest. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not my cup of tea and far from the best (imo).

I was very disappointed that Trivium's "In Waves," Machine Head's "Locust," Blake Tide's "Post Mortem," Falling in Reverse's "Falling in Reverse," Mastodon'a "The Hunter" were not on here. I was also rather shocked to see Asking Alexandria and BVB didn't get a nomination, but then again that legion of fans probably would've guaranteed one of those groups the win.

Out of this list my favorites were Resolution and American Capitalist with Worship Music right behind them. The new Evanescence had a few likeable tunes, but nowhere near the quality of their previous albums and while Wasting Light was great in its own right.. it just felt kind of odd in this grouping.

Best Live Band
Foo Fighters
Guns N' Roses
Judas Priest
Seether
Tool

-- I'm a HUGE A7X fan, but I'm no fool... Tool or Judas Priest should have easily won this. They have both been touted as some of the greatest live shows of all time, so while I am glad one of my favorites won... I definitely feel it's a bad of a tainted win.

Most Metal Athlete
Gina Carano (MMA fighting)
Brian Deegan (pro motocross)
Evan Longoria (MLB baseball)
Dirk Nowitzki (NBA basketball)
Mitch Petrus (NFL football)
CM Punk (WWE wrestling) WINNER*

-- Never understood this category and could really care less about the noms/winner, tbh.

Comeback Of The Year
Anthrax
Dream Theater
Evanescence
Ministry
Slipknot WINNER*
Van Halen

-- If Slipknot had come out with a badass record this past year after all that went down for them, then I could easily understand this award, but they didn't. In fact... they haven't really done anything since Paul passed away.. which is perfectly fine, but I don't see how that's a comeback. If they come out with an album next year... you can't nominate them again, can you? IDK, just an odd choice for my liking. I'd say Anthrax or Van Halen would get this one... but again... fans choose.

Riff Lord
Scott Ian (Anthrax)
Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
Munky (Korn)
Slash WINNER*
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

-- I don't even know what this award really means, but Slash, Zakk, and Van Halen are some of the most noteable/greatest guitarists out there... so any of them could've taken this.

Paul Gray Best Bassist
Frank Bello (Anthrax)
Michael Anthony (Chickenfoot)
Fieldy (Korn)
David Ellefson (Megadeth)
Nikki Sixx (Sixx:A.M.) WINNER*
Wolfgang Van Halen (Van Halen)

-- I don't really follow bass all that much (and my guess is that neither do most of the voters) but there are some big names here and I guess just about any of them could've taken it.

Best International Band
Behemoth
Lacuna Coil
Rammstein
Sepultura
Meshuggah
X Japan WINNER*

-- EXTREMELY surprised at this one. I thought Rammstein had it for sure... but maybe there's a bigger X Japan following than I realized... or maybe their name just looked cool and people voted on that.

Most Dedicated Fans
Asking Alexandria
Black Veil Brides
Evanescence
Falling In Reverse
HIM

-- Another A7X win, but another "I don't get it" award for me. What do they mean by dedication? Is this just who has the bigger fanbase and/or whose fans will vote more crazily? I thought for sure BVB or AA would take this, but glad to see my personal favorites take this.

------

I can't help but wonder how many votes came in total for all of these categories, how many were re-votes, and what the age/demo were for the voters.

I just worry that the relevancy of this show will continue to diminish as it is becoming nothing more than a glorified fan-voting-results show with some great performances thrown in the mix.

Regarding the performances: I didn't care much for the Sixx AM set, Trivium was badass (imo), BVB could've done a lot better because the singing was definitely out of tune and Andy was acting very strange, Evanescence had better songs to play... but I guess you are supposed to tout your new stuff first, and while I'm not a big MM fan... their set was pretty good, too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the winners (from Ultimate Guitar)

Best Guitarist

This annoys me to no end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: