ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Longest Game Completion Time For You?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still never beat Donkey Kong Country 2... that has to be a good 12 years at this point, though I haven't really tried recently (a few years ago we re-bought it for Wii, and even on co-op we gave up trying to beat it for the time being). Not that it's the hardest game ever, but it's not easy and unfortunately being a kid was the peak of my non-music video game ability.

I'm also in the same boat with thecap'n and Alice: Madness Returns. My husband bought that game because it comes with the original Alice game. I played it for like 2 hours shortly after it came out and never again. The game isn't bad, I just never played it again. I intend to go back to it eventually just because I'm an achievement whore.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue on the PS (one of the best movie-licensed games, imo) was released on November 30th, 1999, which was the day I got it. I got quite a ways through the game before being caught up with school stuff and I became much too busy to finish it

no way, i just finished this game last month haha ! well, almost because im missing 2 buzz tokens in the airport level which are basically hard as shit because of the bad engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Gran Turismo 4 came out around 2005, I beat everything except getting gold on all licenses. Only one lap around the Nurburgring and I could not go fast enough. I finally sat down sometime last year and started from scratch and finally bear it after a good 4 or 5 years.

Davers wrote:
Without a doubt, it's TMNT II: The Arcade Game for the NES. Got the game when it was released around 1990. My brothers and I played that game to death. Got to shredder ONCE and we died. Got to Crang several times but could never get past him again (there are two BIG bosses right before the plethora of Shredders with Crang being one of them).

Wasn't until around 2006 - 16 years later - that my brother and I played the game again and actually finished it. What a huge feeling of relief too. Awesome game that deserved to be finished for sure.

Same here, too. Played it as a kid in the early 90s, but could never EVER beat it. It wasn't until 2008 that I took a trip to Flordia to visit some friends and one of them happened to have the game. So we sat down and actually beat Shredder. I'd guess it took at least 15 years to beat, from time I first played it to the time it was beaten.

Parama  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had GH3 for over 4 and a half years and I will not consider it complete until I FC every song in the game, which will never happen.
Anyways, I'm pretty sure it was at least 5 years between when I first played S3&K and when I first beat S3&K, but I was like 6 when I first played it so :V

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first played Wiz 'n' Liz on the Mega Drive when I was 3 years old. I completed it on the final hidden difficulty two years ago at 20. 17 years is quite a long time for a relatively short game, but it's a challenging one all the same even by today's standards :P

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I've still never beat Donkey Kong Country 2... that has to be a good 12 years at this point, though I haven't really tried recently (a few years ago we re-bought it for Wii, and even on co-op we gave up trying to beat it for the time being). Not that it's the hardest game ever, but it's not easy and unfortunately being a kid was the peak of my non-music video game ability.

DKC2 is the hardest by far off the series. dont be ashamed by that. some levels are insane and getting the damn coins required some stupid skills and good observation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
GuitarHailz wrote:

DKC2 is the hardest by far off the series. dont be ashamed by that. some levels are insane and getting the damn coins required some stupid skills and good observation.

I have to agree with this. I really don't see how anyone can find all those coins and secrets without either literally searching every corner or having some type of player's guide. The last world is pretty brutal too. And then, of course, the extra bonus world is crazy. When DKC3 came out, I was expecting the same type of gameplay and difficulty and was highly disappointed at its ease. I do think you should go back and finish DKC2 though. It's a fun game worth going back to
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall having THAT much difficulty with finding all the bonus stages and DK coins in DKC2 (granted, the couple in Web Woods were pretty damn sneaky although there were arrows made of bananas that hinted at them). Most of them you could've honestly worked out over time. Mind you, my first 102% time was all of 14:15 and I was pretty damn proud of myself at the time, so I probably did have troubles with some of them, although I'm sure most of my time was actually chewed up trying to get through the brambles section in Animal Antics. The whole game is now a breeze having plowed through it a trillion times now, and in fact I almost feel like playing it right now and see if I can still manage a sub-2 hour 102% run >_>

The only game in the DKC trilogy that I literally was stuck on in terms of finding all the bonuses was actually the first game, and it wasn't the bonus stage within a bonus stage in Oil Drum Alley. In the 6th World, first stage, I had NO idea where the bonus was there that I was missing for years. Ended up having my friend's little brother show me what I'd been missing for years. He and I both had a good laugh at the thought of a... I think 7 year old at the time... show me what had me stumped for years haha.
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
billsfan444  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda 2 for NES took me around 15 years to beat. I played it a lot when I was a kid, had no idea what I was doing, then many years later I finished it (with the help from the internet!)

It took me the around the same time to beat Punch-out and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES too.
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't completed Crash Bandicoot: Warped yet. I think it's been about ten years since I got to the sixth warp room and never got everything, and that includes the gold relics (I don't remember if platinum relics exist in that game, lol).

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
When Gran Turismo 4 came out around 2005, I beat everything except getting gold on all licenses. Only one lap around the Nurburgring and I could not go fast enough. I finally sat down sometime last year and started from scratch and finally bear it after a good 4 or 5 years.

Isn't it a pain in the ass when the vehicle goes off course and the game fails you because of that? I mean the game screen pans out and on the right (?) side it reads "FAIL". Even though the game isn't something tangible I'd kick its ass if it were this guy which the reaction at 42 seconds. Never will I go for 100% game completion. It requires way too much effort and B-spec doesn't offer faster speeds to rush the game. 8 damn hours of just monitoring the CPU that drives your car is such a waste of time.
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff, guys! Some of those results are almost longer than I've been alive!

An interesting side topic I've noticed: When do you consider a game complete? Story Mode complete? 100%? Story Mode+ & 101%? It's an interesting measure of how much you guys put into your games that enables people to answer this question so differently.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
I've still got ZX Spectrum games that I never got around to finishing. Really not joking.

This, so much. Head Over Heels is still my favourite game of all time, but I keep getting lost on Book World and never getting round to finishing the thing. (Beat the remake, though - save states make things a lot easier than reincarnation fish.)

I did, at one point, start working my way through a spreadsheet of all the Speccy games I've got for my emulator to see which ones I have, haven't and can't (either endless or sports sim or such) finish. I got somewhere near the end of the Ds before I realised it'd take forever, by which time I'd logged 590 games. Of those, 490 were uncompleted (I'd beaten four of them on other systems but not the Spectrum), 27 were sports games, 16 were board or card (how do you "complete" bridge or chess?), 33 didn't really have a natural finishing point (Centipede and such), and one was a fruit machine sim. I'd beaten 23.

As for first-play-to-completion time... pretty sure that's the arcade version of Space Harrier. First played it in winter 1985 when it first came out, and finally beat it during my Easter break in 2001 (on the exact same machine, no less).

If we're measuring on the one save file (Space Harrier is start afresh each time), I finally polished off my Final Fantasy X-2 save this year about four years after I started it.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fascinating stuff, guys! Some of those results are almost longer than I've been alive!

An interesting side topic I've noticed: When do you consider a game complete? Story Mode complete? 100%? Story Mode+ & 101%? It's an interesting measure of how much you guys put into your games that enables people to answer this question so differently.
Goddamn whippersnapper, get off my lawn!

A game complete? I think that's entirely on a game-to-game basis. If anything I like to separate it into two categories: (for lack of better words) "beat", and "complete".

Most games usually make it pretty easy for you: just play through the game, save the princess/girlfriend/wifey/world/president/that bloke you met across the street last week/whoever/exact revenge on that prick who's made your life a living hell for the past 15-20 hours/whatever, watch the only ending roll, acknowledge the people responsible for creating the game/atrocity that you've just played through as the credits roll, and then just play through the exact same game from scratch if you so choose. However, usually there's some other bits on the side that you can decide to do as well that won't necessarily have any bearing on the end result (although sometimes they obviously do).

Let's take the example of DKC2 that's come up in this thread already. I'd consider DKC2 "beat" when you beat King K. Rool in his fancy pants Flying Kroc floating above K.Rool's Keep. You don't need to fetch any bonus coins to get there, nor do you need to pick up DK coins, but you do get an ending upon defeating him as you end up completing the objective of the game: save the noob Donkey Kong who got his butt captured by the Kremlins after belting the crap through them in the first title (seriously, how does that happen?). However, of course if you pick up sufficient bonus coins (all of them), you'll unlock the 5 different stages in Lost World, something which is not necessary to beat the game. Nabbing all the bonus coins and DK coins, and kicking King K. Rool's butt again in Krocodile Kore gives you the 102%, which is of course the max available in DKC2. At that point, I'd consider the game "complete". The game gives you a stat that you can strive to max out, or collectibles to collect for a collection of some form, whatever, so I reckon the game is complete the moment you complete one of those aforementioned things. Like getting gold in every single Cup in Super Mario Kart on 50cc, 100cc and 150cc. Same kind of idea. In the case of RPGs, I reckon that's more of an individual thing, whether you're content with just beating all the side quests available, including the toughest boss(es), or whether you require having everybody at the max level available, or whether it requires you to have Master Materia of every kind for all 8 playable characters (did that once just because I could, don't ask why).

So yeah. Long story short: game-to-game basis. If there's something that you can strive for beyond just reaching the basic climax of the story, then I wouldn't consider the game "complete" until you've reached that point. Obviously there are some which you'll never be able to complete as mentioned in Kinitawowi's post just above here, but that's not really that relevant for this conversation anyways :p
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psxfreak101 wrote:
A game complete? I think that's entirely on a game-to-game basis. If anything I like to separate it into two categories: (for lack of better words) "beat", and "complete".

Yeah, someone's been on Backloggery too long.

That said, they're pretty good delineations. Seeing an end credits roll or defeating a final boss - if the game has one - is a pretty good place to say "yeah, I beat that game" and put it back on the shelf if so inclined. But then there's stuff like Dragon Quest IX and Chrono Trigger where the post-game bonus dungeons and extra endings and things almost offer more content than the actual game, so saying "completed" after that seems fine.

THEN it gets tricky, because there's still beastiaries and stats and item lists and flavour stuff and things to max out. Typically I don't count those towards a completion, because they're pretty much all based on heavy-duty grinding beyond the scale of what a normal person playing the game might be inclined to do. Backloggery adds those in as a "mastered" category. Chrono Trigger DS is a classic example; I've maxed out almost everything one could reasonably expect from playing the main game. All endings, all bonus dungeons (the Lost Sanctum can die), all enemies (one of which you only get from maxing up to level 99), all techs etcetera. The only thing I haven't done? Got the six items you can only get from farting around playing Pokemon in the Monster Arena. Nothing left in the game for me to do other than that, but it's a hole in my stats that can only be remedied by grinding through something that, barring a few attainable items, has absolutely zero connection to the main game. Does that count? I'm not counting it, but I'm sure as hell some people would.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psxfreak101 wrote:
The only game in the DKC trilogy that I literally was stuck on in terms of finding all the bonuses was actually the first game, and it wasn't the bonus stage within a bonus stage in Oil Drum Alley. In the 6th World, first stage, I had NO idea where the bonus was there that I was missing for years.

Not sure if I ever found that one in ODA, but the other one that sucked was Orang-utan Gang (or something). There's five or six bonus levels, and one of them forces you to get the ostrich and go back to the beginning of the level. DKC2 was a cakewalk in comparison.

anthony8 wrote:
It requires way too much effort and B-spec doesn't offer faster speeds to rush the game. 8 damn hours of just monitoring the CPU that drives your car is such a waste of time.
You talking about those endurance races? I just started those races before I went to bed with a FAR superior car, and I'd win by the time I got up. Piece of pie.

To add to "what makes a game complete," I would also look to Xbox achievements and PS3 trophies. If you can get all of them in one game, I would consider it complete. While I'll never get a FGFC of GHIII, I considered it "done" when I finally got all 59 cheevos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: