ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Avatar: The Legend of Korra Reply with quote

So I thought there was already a thread for the original show, but I guess not. Since the first season of The Legend of Korra just ended, I was wondering what your guys' thoughts are? What do you think the next season will be about, or what will happen? What did you think of this season? If you haven't watched the show but planned to, I'm sure there will be spoilers everywhere, so just a warning.

Personally I really enjoyed this season. While it's not nearly as good as the original Avatar, the quality was top notch and the more mature themes really worked in the end. My gripes would be that there was definitely too much focus on the love-triangle aspect of the show, I feel like that is really unnecessary. Additionally, I thought Korra wasn't the most impressive avatar. The fight scenes were pretty awesome at times, but Korra never did anything that stood out to me. I'm hoping she becomes much more Avatar-y in the next season.

Oh, and apparently they're making the second movie in the Last Airbender franchise? I mean I can't imagine it would be much better than the first, unless Shyamalan (or a new director, one could only hope) abandoned everything that he ruined in the first movie. (AKA pronunciations, lack of comedy, generally lame bending, too much focus on the spiritual)
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty positive there is no Airbender 2 movie. There's a picture that was going around that was fake. They have no reason to make a sequel to an utter failure of a movie. It would be like them making a sequel to John Carter, it's probably not gonna happen without a complete reboot lol

As for Korra, I love it. I feel in a few ways, it's abit better than the original, but it's pretty hard to top the first series. Overall Korra is still REALLY good. Great characters, great setting, and I liked the battle they started with, bringing in the anti-benders, a very logical idea in that world. Sure the whole love triangle thing could've been done abit better, but it wasn't too bad. I can't wait for the second season. I'm expecting it to be more character driven than maybe a big baddy like this season. Maybe Korra goes out into the world to help people as the Avatar, learning more about the history between the series, with a bigger plot brewing during that season that leads into the third season.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought everything was very well done. It's damn near impossible to top the original show, so I didn't jump into this one thinking it was going to be even as good as the original. My one big gripe besides the pointless love triangle is the closure. SPOILSERS BEING HERE LOOK OUT OH SHIT The season finale was fantastic, and I thought the twist at the end with Korra only having air bending and not the other elements, when it was the opposite for the entirety of the season and she struggled with air bending, was very dark and I wondered how it would affect her character. Obviously she couldn't lose them forever, but I would have liked her getting them back to happen later rather than sooner to see how things would go along. Even seeing just one episode without her other elements would have been a pleasure. All in all, I could forgive that, but giving her the ability to cure everyone else of their bending back again sort of ruined a lot of moments of the season for me, especially Chief Beifong. It's like, "Yeah the heroes sacrificed a ton of shit, but now everything is a super happy time again and this whole equalist thing never even happened!"

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, it was damn superb first season. While it's hard to top the original series's second season (the best, in my opinion), it comes pretty damn close. I thought the last third of the season in particular was fantastic; that seriously contains some of the best action sequences I have ever seen across both series, and like HA already said, I thought it was a very clever twist for Korra to finally unlock her airbending after Amon took her other three elements. I was really hoping the Avatar State wouldn't be used as the obligatory deus ex machina like it often was in The Last Airbender, and that series's aversion didn't disappoint.

I guess if I had one sticking point with the season, it's the romance. It feels incredibly forced and very awkwardly executed, and more importantly, I thought it was very detrimental to Mako's characterization. I mean, the guy literally cheated on Asami for Korra at the end of the season. It's hard to ignore that, especially when considering him and Korra didn't really interact that much outside of fighting alongside one another. If there was like one little distinguishing scene with Asami and Mako that ended their relationship beforehand, I'd forgive it, but since that wasn't the case, I can't help but criticize how the romance in general turned out.

Commonly addressed love triangle aside, my hopes are definitely up for next season. I'm eagerly hoping that Book 2 is more development-based like The Last Airbender's was. I think the series would need it due to the relatively brief length of the first season and the underdevelopment of some of the characters (such as Bolin).

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
bballcenter7  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else has said, I thought the season was great. The best parts were the animation, which was absolutely fantastic, and the adult characters, such as Tenzin, Lin, Tarrlok and Amon. However, I felt that for a kids show, the younger characters were really underutilized. Bolin and Mako really didn't have much to do after the probending competitions ended, and Asami was also fairly useless. Korra was a bit better, but it still felt like she was standing around while the adults actually took care of things from time to time.

Also, one of my bigger gripes in the series was Tenzin's kids, because they really served no purpose beyond comic relief. I never found them funny, and Meelo especially just came off as annoying rather than cute like they were going for.

I'm really not sure where season 2 will go, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season itself was pretty good, but the "Finale" was too predictable and very meh. There's also WAY TOO MUCH DRAMA between the little love rectangle that's going on. I also think that 11-12 episodes is too short for a 30 minute show and it didn't really let them develop the characters that much.

Hopefully they make season 2 better.

bballcenter7 wrote:
Meelo especially just came off as annoying rather than cute like they were going for.

How anyone can be this wrong is beyond me. He's one of the best characters in the series, and I'd watch a spinoff show of him instantly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
bballcenter7 wrote:
Meelo especially just came off as annoying rather than cute like they were going for.

How anyone can be this wrong is beyond me. He's one of the best characters in the series, and I'd watch a spinoff show of him instantly.

This this and more this. Meelo was hands down my favorite part of the show.

I guess I'm glad that there's no second movie being made, even though the first one actually did fairly well financially. I would've liked to see it made if certain changes were in place, as like puppetmaster, I absolutely loved the second season of the original show. It was the Empire Strikes Back of cartoon shows. :p
alexhaz64 flexes
psxfreak101 actua-loling
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How anyone could not find Tenzin's kids funny, is beyond me lol They had some very funny moments. Sure they are comedic relief, but I thought they were great. I'd definitely love to see a one off episode that is just about them in future seasons.
zlinkneoXZ15  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much agree with everyone so far: awesome action sequences, love triangle seems too forced, etc. Although I did like the ending, I agree with HA that it would have been cooler to see Korra without the other 3 elements just a little longer (did anyone else think it was possible that she would have to relearn the other 3 elements again in 3 more seasons? i know amon's thing is supposed to be permanent, but I couldnt help thinking that during the final episode before the events unfolded as they did)

I like the two girls of Tenzin's, but the boy...kinda hit and miss for me. Although (SPOLIER...sorta) I laughed so hard when he farted using airbending when the temple got attacked.

Personal fav character is Tenzin; I think its awesome that he's the complete opposite of Aang, being serious and diplomatic all the time, yet has a few choice moments where he loses composure XD Also, Bolin has some awesome moments as well

Predictions for 2nd season: I think its kinda obvious Amon survived that boat explosion, but I wouldn't doubt him getting injured in someway. Also, theres still the mystery of where Amon learned the "take a persons bending technique" away, as well as his history between leaving Tarloff and family and when he's introduced in the 1st episode. And, of course,

SPOLIER

Zuko's gotta be involved somehow if he's still alive.

which leads to: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/15092/who-is-still-alive-from-the-original-series

what do you guys think about zuko and toph? I'm fairly confident that zuko will probably have to play some role somehow in the 2nd season (or possible later seasons). A friend of mine suggested he may be running a tea shop...i will shit bricks if this is true.

I'm also hoping toph is alive as well. Yeah, she has a statue of her, but who knows? And even if shes not, her daughter pretty much carries the "bad-ass" legacy pretty well.

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zlinkneoXZ15 wrote:

Zuko's gotta be involved somehow if he's still alive.

which leads to: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/15092/who-is-still-alive-from-the-original-series

what do you guys think about zuko and toph? I'm fairly confident that zuko will probably have to play some role somehow in the 2nd season (or possible later seasons). A friend of mine suggested he may be running a tea shop...i will shit bricks if this is true.

I'm also hoping toph is alive as well. Yeah, she has a statue of her, but who knows? And even if shes not, her daughter pretty much carries the "bad-ass" legacy pretty well.

Pretty sure Toph is dead, since her daughter seems so old, and I doubt Zuko will make any more than a minor appearence considering his age as well, if any.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://chirart.tumblr.com/post/25991175534/how-you-can-have-a-bunch-of-great-ideas-but-still-fuck

This is a great essay on what went wrong with this season. I gotta say, although I enjoyed the show very much, I have to agree with this person. The season could've been so much better had they fixed the writing a bit. Oh well.

As for Zuko being alive, I had no idea. It would certainly be interesting to see him in season 2. Toph I'm pretty sure is not alive anymore though :/
alexhaz64 flexes
psxfreak101 actua-loling
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, they need to bring back pro-bending. That shit was interesting. I was mad when the arena blew up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: