The Friend Zone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
JOE2210 wrote:
they turned into a fucking asshole.

isn't that what you want in the end? why do I always end up making gay jokes around you? Sorry it was just too much to resist

Trust me, my own mother made the same joke.

I think keeping my friends and potential partners is a better option really, for me anyway. I have always had shit crumble to smithereens whenever it's been a FwB situation, which is why I will be a lonesome soul.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
Yes. It's a much better idea to start an intimate, personal and sexual relationship with someone you barely know than to start one with someone you actually have got to know and like as a person first.

Yeah, except when they turn you down, you kind of can't just up and go find someone else and try again. There's a pretty big emotional investment in being a friend with someone, whereas with a random person off the street, you have nothing to lose. But with friends, you've got to stick around and act like nothing's happened, at least attempt to feel happy about their relationships with other people, yadda yadda. It's real fun on your emotions and makes you feel like an absolute shit person, lemme tell you. I'm not saying your reasoning is terrible Yewb but there's a steep price for throwing something like that out there in a friendship with something to lose.

With that said, now you can see why I'm so pessimistic about relationships. Go out with someone you barely know, where's the emotional bond?; go out with someone you really know well, risk throwing everything out the window or making it ugly. I should just find a way to be happy being single, you know?

(That ?; back there was probably terrible grammar and I should feel bad)
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I might've been a little hasty in claiming there are no downsides; that said, I still think it's a good idea to befriend someone (fo realz; none of this "if I hang out with you all the time and buy you things you will suddenly initiate sex") first before entering into a relationship. But yeah, considering for a minute just how much I'd be risking if I started a relationship with my best friend, I can definitely see both sides.

... as well as that, with a best friend you typically have shared activities that you'd do regardless of the other person - shared interests and experiences are what build a strong friendship. For example, my best friend and I worked very closely for the last two years within a uni society, organising fundraising events together - and I'll admit now to having strong feelings for her at the start of our friendship. If things had gone differently and we'd got together, and then broken up, neither of us would feel comfortable within that environment. We're currently living together; I can only imagine how awkward that would be*.

Of course, right now I've kind of gone too far the other way, as my girlfriend and I are separated by the entire width and a lot of the height of the fucking country, so we have fewer shared experiences than I'd like. But, you know, happy mediums and all that.

* actually; one of my best mates from uni broke up with his girlfriend on her doctor's advice, then got with someone else; started living with her, broke up to go back to his ex (who he's still with, and who is awesome) and had to stay living with the second girl while keeping his new (old?) relationship a secret. Tough Times.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Jellu  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's so long thread already I won't read it all but here's what I think about what you said in that beginning of this thread (it not old thread so I think things haven't changed too dramtically during these couple of days.

NudePanda wrote:
And I wouldn't say i'm in a good position, more of a weird position. She never starts the conversations (for the most part) and it just seems like she isn't interested in talking with my anymore. I dunno, it sucks.

I used to do that like a year ago. Then she told me that "I don't want to be in a relationship right now" thing but I knew she really just didn't want to be with me. (not saying this girl definitely wouldn't want to be with you: people and situations are different). I took it pretty badly and talked to her once during next six months and even that one time was pretty random. Now about half a year ago I suddenly started talking to her again and started with very nostalgic conversation and few weeks later asked her to my house with a couple of other friends and after that we talked A LOT. She started conversations as much as did and we're very close now (though she's been in a relationship for all this time). I think we're just friends but IMO unless you're handsome enough to get girls with one smile you kinda have to be friends first (not best friends but you know. You should know each other). Now I realise this post won't probably help you that much but I just wanted to say if you feel like she doesn't want to talk to you or something you can try to take a "break from friendship". I think coming back to her life after six months at last proves that you care about her. (at last in my case because she's had a LOT of those guys who disappear immadiately after hearing they don't have a chance ) But do what you want. I'm not the best one to give anyone advice about relationships but there's a chance she's more interested in you if you leave her be for a while.

But when it comes to close friends you should be very careful. If you're hanging out in same group you should think twice before asking her out or telling about your feeling. You don't want to create awkward situation in your group, do you?

PiemanLK wrote:
Bradmasta wrote:
TL;DR: many years of being made fun of and being bullied killed my confidence, thus ultimately making me unattractive in the long run to nearly every girl i've ever gone after/dated and unfortunately friendzoning me.

Shake my hand bro, you're just like me!

Can I join the club?

FCs: 45 | 62 | 29 | 68 | 41 | 85 | 48 | 47 | 85 | 46 | 89 | O211 204/211 | Total 645/660
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
Of course, right now I've kind of gone too far the other way, as my girlfriend and I are separated by the entire width and a lot of the height of the fucking country, so we have fewer shared experiences than I'd like. But, you know, happy mediums and all that.

Yeah, I can't say nice things about long distance relationships either. I was in one for 8 months, we broke up without ever meeting. It's still the only thing that could ever remotely qualify as me with another person dating.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Quote:
I remember seeing some picture's caption say "Girls are not machines that if you put enough niceness tokens into, sex will pop out," and I replied "yeah, because they're machines that if you put enough asshole tokens in, sex will pop out."

Come on man... really? :/

Like I said, this was back when I had no self confidence and was put in the friend zone all the time. I don't say that now because I understand what I was doing wrong as a guy trying to get a girlfriend.

PiemanLK wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
My personal advice is to date your best friend, it's the most rewarding of relationships.

No. No. No. I could sit here typing "No." all day. This is a terrible idea. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it. Don't do this.

To each his own I guess. Like I said, been dating a girl that I called my best friend prior to us deciding to become a couple for over a year now, and we are completely infatuated with each other. We are constantly complimented on how we don't even seem to be in a relationship, and even our friends agree that when we hang out with them, that we're more like best friends with benefits, which is what they all wish they had.

If you don't think you and your best friend would be suited for a relationship, then don't do it. But, my best friend and I felt we could work out well, and we found out that was a vast understatement.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
Dodongo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, so haven't been in this thread because I haven't had any problems with the "friend zone" for a number of factors (I have plenty of friends that are girls, btw), the main one being that I always got it in my head that school was for working and messing about haha, uni was for all that. Pretty stupid, even cynical, but girls never really bothered me like that, and I had a fucking great time through high school.

So anyway, what brings me to this thread? Well, it occurred to me that I am in a situation relevant to the topic, so why not post. Long story short, I met a girl, we're going and stuff. However, during this time, she has been texting this other guy (it sounds bad, but they're just friends haha), and he said that he loved her. She didn't know what to do and just carried on treating him the same as before - effectively "friend zoning" him.

Now, I'd just like to offer what I make of it, because that's what this is for, right? To be honest, I think that's a pretty shit thing for him to do. He knew we were an item (I had met him before, and we get on reasonably well), but he still decided to do it. In my book, that's not cool, however I understand that I am biased.

After a while thinking about it, I decided I am ambivalent towards the situation - or rather, any feelings of empathy and understanding are cancelled by the feelings of disappointment. It's really not cool. In the end, I reached my usual conclusion that there is nothing I can do about it, and thankfully I have a lot more self worth than last year and so if she says she loves me, then she does. That's all I need. :>

Anyways, feel free to disect this, I know I'm maybe being a dick but hey.

R.I.P. Sikth. We Love You.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Gwylum Wii Friend Code: 429613877062
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
My personal advice is to date your best friend, it's the most rewarding of relationships.

No. No. No. I could sit here typing "No." all day. This is a terrible idea. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it. Don't do this.

To each his own I guess. Like I said, been dating a girl that I called my best friend prior to us deciding to become a couple for over a year now, and we are completely infatuated with each other. We are constantly complimented on how we don't even seem to be in a relationship, and even our friends agree that when we hang out with them, that we're more like best friends with benefits, which is what they all wish they had.

If you don't think you and your best friend would be suited for a relationship, then don't do it. But, my best friend and I felt we could work out well, and we found out that was a vast understatement.

I definitely have to support b.vicious on this one. I had a lot of flings in high school but very few relationships, and the relationships I did have usually went pretty well but only lasted a few months. Then after my senior graduation I decided to ask out the girl who I had been best friends with since my sophomore year (her freshman year, asking out a high school girl when you're going to college, not the best idea but hey it worked).

In short, that was three years ago, now we're going to college together and living together this year, and it is by far the greatest relationship I've ever been in as we're both incredibly relaxed and low key with each other but still love each other completely.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
But with friends, you've got to stick around and act like nothing's happened, at least attempt to feel happy about their relationships with other people, yadda yadda. It's real fun on your emotions and makes you feel like an absolute shit person, lemme tell you.

I don't know if it's a function of maturity, or simply interacting with the right people, or what, but at some point, this simply didn't become true for me. "This woman is not romantically interested in me" and "I should feel bad about her lack of interest" decoupled themselves at some point. Dude, I'm awesome; my flavor of awesomeness is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea; if you don't want to partake of my romantic acumen, hey, your loss, but we're still cool.

An aforementioned woman I was interested in was a dear friend to me, though I was romantically interested in her, and she was giving me what I interpreted as mixed signals. So I sucked it up and asked her what the deal was: "are we potential 'in a relationship' friends, or bad-ass platonic friends, or what?"[*] She said we were just friends; I acknowledged as much. And the next time we hung out at a social event together? Everything was still super-cool; zero awkwardness whatsoever. (And now I don't have to analyze every interaction with her for subtext!) I dunno if I just lucked out and have the best friends ever or what have you, but at least this approach works out a non-zero percentage of the time.

And I don't have to pretend to be happy for her if she finds someone she's romantically interested in; she's still a dear friend, and I want my dear friends to be happy. And I don't feel especially awkward around her; she still thinks the world of me, just not in a romantic way, and I'm aces with that, and there's no "OMIGOD I'M STILL PINING FOR HER OR SOME SUCH" vibes going off. It's not the optimal endpoint, but it's one I'm fine with.

[*] The actual verbiage of my ask and her response suggest that neither of us might be real people, but rather characters in some sort of Aaron Sorkin production. "Both you guys - who the hell sends texts like that?" seemed to be the general response among my friends.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but if everyone was youhas-awesome (is that trademarked?) then the world might fall off kilter, kind of like how Hank Johnson thought Guam could tip over due to overpopulation.
tma  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that strikes me reading threads like this is the propensity for people to seem to believe that, for some reason, women are an alien species that don't follow the same rules of interaction and feelings that men do. This is demonstratibly false.

I don't believe there is such a thing as the "friend zone". This is a made up construct that men (well, boys mostly) use to excuse themselves for not dealing with someone not being interested in them romantically in a mature way - which is to say, by getting the fuck over it and moving on, like an adult should. In other words, taking responsibly for dealing with your own feelings and stop blaming them on the woman in question. They didn't force you to like them, and they don't owe you anything for being a "friend", other than being a friend in return. In fact I'd say that if you think that being a "friend" to a women entitles you to expect something more than that, then you are NOT actually being a friend at all - and that sort of attitude and behaviour is actually a turn-off for women in general and won't get you a girlfriend.

Apologies if that's a little ranty, I've been following a lot of women's rights and anti-bigotry blogs lately, and bad attitudes like this bother me a lot.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
One thing that strikes me reading threads like this is the propensity for people to seem to believe that, for some reason, women are an alien species that don't follow the same rules of interaction and feelings that men do. This is demonstratibly false.

I don't believe there is such a thing as the "friend zone". This is a made up construct that men (well, boys mostly) use to excuse themselves for not dealing with someone not being interested in them romantically in a mature way - which is to say, by getting the fuck over it and moving on, like an adult should. In other words, taking responsibly for dealing with your own feelings and stop blaming them on the woman in question. They didn't force you to like them, and they don't owe you anything for being a "friend", other than being a friend in return. In fact I'd say that if you think that being a "friend" to a women entitles you to expect something more than that, then you are NOT actually being a friend at all - and that sort of attitude and behaviour is actually a turn-off for women in general and won't get you a girlfriend.

Apologies if that's a little ranty, I've been following a lot of women's rights and anti-bigotry blogs lately, and bad attitudes like this bother me a lot.

Well in fairness the boy, not man (cuz this is an immature thought and I do agree with some of the things you said) isn't looking to be a friend, they're looking for a girlfriend. The thought they have is if a guy can get a girl by treating her like crap, then I should be able to get girls by being nice. This is very possible, but they lack the self confidence needed to get by as a suitable attractive guy. They're not trying to be a friend, they're trying to show the woman how nice she would be treated if he was her boyfriend, in comparison to the asshole who cheated on her, didn't care about her, used her for sex, etc.

I've heard of a similar "zone" for women. I think it's called "one of the guys" zone. (don't quote me on this) Where a girl is in a group of friends that are mostly guys, and she's a really cool girl. But because she's such good friends with them, they consider her "one of the guys," and don't find her attractive in that way. She may like one or more of the guys in the group, but because she's "one of the guys," they wouldn't date her.

Something like that.

I used to be one of those guys and I know what it's like to have severely low self-esteem and continuously get pissed off that girls will go for some total douchebag over me. Like i said earlier, it's more of a lack of confidence that makes the guys like this.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:

I've heard of a similar "zone" for women. I think it's called "one of the guys" zone. (don't quote me on this) Where a girl is in a group of friends that are mostly guys, and she's a really cool girl. But because she's such good friends with them, they consider her "one of the guys," and don't find her attractive in that way. She may like one or more of the guys in the group, but because she's "one of the guys," they wouldn't date her.

I used to be one of those guys and I know what it's like to have severely low self-esteem and continuously get pissed off that girls will go for some total douchebag over me. Like i said earlier, it's more of a lack of confidence that makes the guys like this.

All things being equal, if I was in a group of friends where a girl was "one of the guys," she would probably skyrocket up the nonexistent dating depth chart because of the familiarity and common interests.

And even though I consider myself to be quite social, I find it unbelievably hard to approach women I don't know. And I still get pissed off when I see women with douchebags. I also get pissed off when I see people making out and essentially groping each other in public, not only because it's just gross, but because they have what I don't: Affection.

Bleh.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:

Something like that.

I believe I've heard at least one female associate refer to such a zone in the past. Sometimes the issue is of a "but we're such good friends with you, lady-bro; if someone dated you but it didn't work out, we could never see you again!" nature. And sometimes the issue is a decidedly less fun "you're cool, but a little too [ unattractive / weird / unfeminine / emotionally brittle ] for us to date - but we loving getting quality lady advice from you!" But either way, it does appear to be A Thing, yes.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but it's not "A Thing" in the sense that all men or women got together and voted on how to deal with people. It's just the particulars of that relationship.

Many people seem to talk about "The Friend Zone" as if it's some kind of female conspiracy, when really it's just part of the nature of relationships in general.

That attraction spark sometimes only happens during the early stage of getting to know someone - if it doesn't happen then, for whatever reason, the spark can go away if you get to know the person really well. That's just the nature of that particular "spark". If you've been in a relationship for longer than a year or two then you're probably familiar with that particular spark lessening, but you still stay in a relationship because the person is your best friend and you work together towards goals. But you generally need that spark to get things started, and if you've been friends with someone for a long time before you try dating them, the spark just might not happen, or be there at all.

Which, again, points to maturity, or rather, inexperience with relationships, as being the cause for all this angst.

Stop blaming the woman for not being interested in you that way (not having that spark).

Stop calling her boyfriend an asshole just because he triggered that spark and you didn't. I'm sure that 95% of these guys actually aren't assholes, and besides, maybe he's just an asshole to you because you keep undermining him and his relationship? Something to think about.

Stop assuming you know what's better for her than she does.

Stop assuming that you're actually that great a catch. If you harbour these sorts of feelings of resentment, and particularly if you let them come out in how you treat others (such as the "asshole" boyfriend) - you're not. You're not being a nice person, and all you're doing by whining about it is trying to paint yourself as a martyr. Stop it, and grow up.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: