ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Music with depth.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallflower  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Music with depth. Reply with quote

First of all, let me introduce myself A year or so ago I stumbled across this site, which is weird now because at the time I didn't play any of these rhythm games. A few weeks ago a good friend of mine lent me his old PS2 because he's going away on a mission (crazy religious nut :P), so I've been playing quite a bit of Guitar Hero 2/80s. I'm not very good yet, but it's very fun!

I just remembered this place and figured I'd browse around for tips and such. And here I am about to start some discussion in what seems like a slow place !

Now when I say music with 'depth', I don't mean personal meaning and stuff like that. I mean layers and concepts that are portrayed in more ways than one.

I'll use Gorguts - Clouded as my example, because I believe it is the 'deepest' song I've ever heard. I don't expect everyone to like the song (it's rather abrasive), but I believe some people will gain an appreciation for it after I'm done.

I'll try to be as coherent as possible, I'm kind of winging this. I know what I want to say, but I tend to bungle a lot. I have no proof that any of this was intended, but it just piles up on itself that I don't think anyone can be this accidentally brilliant. I recently was able to ask the singer (on the Death to All tour) about the album and it's inspiration, and his response was 'too much weed.' :P

First are the basic concepts:
Clouded can be taken three ways:
- Literally 'Clouds'
- Clouded Judgement
- Death (Clouds being such as heaven)

I suppose I'll go into those in that order (although some of them blend together):
- The music itself sounds like rolling thunder and lightning. It's disharmonious.
- The lyrics can be taken literally as clouds:
Quote:
Bring this dark day of frenzy
Shame while I fly high
Incite tears to my eyes

Not much explanation needed here. The tears represent rain.

Quote:
Crawling on the darkened shore
Seas of despair saturate my soul
Rising... Rising from this clouded land

This little tidbit goes deeper into the rain cycle itself, which leads to inciting some more tears, eventually ending up where we started as a cloud.
The endless cycle of rain plays into the next section of:

Clouded Judgement, or insanity. Since I'm in the mode of lyrics at the moment:
This part takes a little bit of personal interpretation, but I don't think anyone will disagree with me:
Quote:
Sad version of abject life
Life of despair shall forsake my soul
Hopeless mind... Pain life creates
Shame while I fly high

These lines I feel are the most crucial to this part of the concept.
- Abject : utterly hopeless, miserable, humiliating, or wretched
- Despair : loss of hope; hopelessness.
When applied to a soul, I don't believe any state of mind would fit better than one that is insane.

Now for the musical aspect of insanity:
- I believe there are two fundamental ways to portray an 'insane' feeling in music. One would be to never repeat, and the other would be to always repeat. Now Gorguts managed to do both of these at the same time. Mix that with pure dissonance and there is no arguing that this song is quite 'insane.'

As for Death, there isn't much to say.
Quote:
Sombre proper to ecstasy

Sombre (gloomy and dismal) -to- ecstasy (mental transport or rapture from the contemplation of divine things)
We could interpret the guitar solo as this moment (which I do, but that doesn't necessarily make me right, I suppose).

Basically knowing that the lyrics mean Death and Insanity, reading them should make complete sense metaphorically.

On a tangent note, I believe that all of this makes this the Darkest (defined by despair) song ever recorded.
Insanity and Death being the two darkest subjects one can muster up.
Not only is the song unsettling and abrasive, but because it's 'insane', it gives you a false sense of hope before it takes it away. You can never really anticipate what beat happens next, even though you always feel like you can.
There is nothing uplifting about this song.

So, anyways, I hope someone appreciates my Kubrickian analysis.
My question for everyone here is:
Does anyone else analyze music on this level, let alone have any that goes this deep for me to check out? Or does anyone here maybe write music with these goals in mind? I know Mastodon uses visual metaphors through their music videos and their stories. Sleeping Giant and Oblivion being some obvious examples.

PS. Please don't take my example of Gorguts implying that metal is better than anything else, I really would like to find this elsewhere as well.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by wallflower on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospice (The Antlers) and Deathconsciousness (Have a Nice Life) are most likely right up your alley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Phish
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
inv4der  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look no further than bullofheaven.com, guaranteed by Clayton Counts to be so deep that it comes around the other way.

I'll get back to you when I think of something else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Look no further than bullofheaven.com, guaranteed by Clayton Counts to be so deep that it comes around the other way.

Your terror knows no ends.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
wallflower  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Hospice (The Antlers) and Deathconsciousness (Have a Nice Life) are most likely right up your alley.

They were nice listens for sure, but I don't know if they were what I was looking for. There's good story telling and songwriting, but I'm pretty sure they lack the concepts woven into the music and story through both literal and metaphorical interpretations.
Thanks for the listens, though.

PiemanLK wrote:
I would recommend Phish

I've known of Phish for quite a while, but I'm pretty sure they're not what I want. Again, I'm looking for more than just basic songwriting. Nothing against them, I'm really just trying to separate the elites.

inv4der wrote:

I can't tell if this is either extremely pretentious or not. Either way I feel like I have to take drugs to enjoy it completely. Some interesting stuff on there, though.

If I'm wrong in any way, please let me know and explain why. I was hoping for this to be more of a discussion than throwing stuff out there.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallflower wrote:
GregoryZero wrote:

They were nice listens for sure, but I don't know if they were what I was looking for. There's good story telling and songwriting, but I'm pretty sure they lack the concepts woven into the music and story through both literal and metaphorical interpretations.
Thanks for the listens, though.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here... Hospice has a ton of literal and figurative references to the condition of the patient the narrator cares for. Especially Two; I feel like that is one of the standout tracks along with Epilogue.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallflower wrote:
I can't tell if this is either extremely pretentious or not.

It intentionally is.
wallflower wrote:
Either way I feel like I have to take drugs to enjoy it completely. Some interesting stuff on there, though.

Taking drugs to enjoy music? Hah, that's a good one. (In other news, Bull of Heaven is not enjoyable)

wallflower wrote:
I was hoping for this to be more of a discussion than throwing stuff out there.

Can't say I'm much of a lyrics kind of person. Even though I can appreciate great songwriting, I'm not really the type of person to break it down like you do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here... Hospice has a ton of literal and figurative references to the condition of the patient the narrator cares for. Especially Two; I feel like that is one of the standout tracks along with Epilogue.

What I'm trying to say is that in my example, the music and words work together to paint several pictures. The music means as much, and is as literal as the lyrics are.

I'll revisit hospice, I may have missed something

GregoryZero wrote:
Taking drugs to enjoy music? Hah, that's a good one. (In other news, Bull of Heaven is not enjoyable)

I didn't mean to imply 'taking drugs to enjoy music.' I meant that if I really wanted to spend time on that site to really go through it, I'd have to be on something. (I don't do drugs)

GregoryZero wrote:
wallflower wrote:
I was hoping for this to be more of a discussion than throwing stuff out there.

Can't say I'm much of a lyrics kind of person. Even though I can appreciate great songwriting, I'm not really the type of person to break it down like you do.

Lyrics/story are only half of the deal I'm hoping for. If you listen to the song and read through my analysis, you should be able to understand what I mean
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallflower wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

I'll revisit hospice, I may have missed something

You must've In my not-so-professional opinion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: