ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Speedrunning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Fhdra wrote:
Hm, thanks for that. I never fully understood the concept. That number 3 category sounds pretty interesting to me. I'd like to see one of those with a game that harbors a massive amount of content like Skyrim or something. Probably not possible since I'm assuming breaks aren't allowed...

I'm sure that 100% for a game like Skyrim will eventually be possible as the game is continually broken down. Most 100% runs allow for glitches and such since the only reason any% sometimes has glitchless categories is to see how fast it is to complete the game in a regular setting. The type of runs commonly done are entirely dependent on the game itself.

The thing with Skyrim is due to procedural quest and item generation there's no easily defined 100%. I suppose you could do all Main/Guild story quests, but honestly that'd just be a run for the Oghma Infinium to max all skills and then a lot of traveling. (Focusing on Stealth, One Handed and a little magic would do the job.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:

Hm, thanks for that. I never fully understood the concept. That number 3 category sounds pretty interesting to me. I'd like to see one of those with a game that harbors a massive amount of content like Skyrim or something. Probably not possible since I'm assuming breaks aren't allowed...

Usually breaks are allowed. Most people who are really competitive wouldn't save, though, just because of the time it takes. I don't have the balls for that, personally.
Davers  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Fhdra wrote:

Usually breaks are allowed. Most people who are really competitive wouldn't save, though, just because of the time it takes. I don't have the balls for that, personally.

For short games, there is no reason for breaks. I can understand on something like Final Fantasy though. As for saving, on Donkey Kong Country, I saved in World 2 and then again at the last save point (world 7?).

@Cabanon: It wasn't a 101% run. It was like 80% when I finished. I died like 4 times (Poison Pond ftw) which really killed my time. This was way back in the day. I tried playing it not too long ago and got like an hour and 4 minutes
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well breaks are inherently allowed in segmented speedruns of longer games. However there are people who do single segments of stuff like FFX in about 10 hours.

Also, name his mistakes: http://dl.speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?Mario1_458

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:

i think he said he could remove like another 4 seconds total off this record but it would required batshit overprecise timing. gotta find that NintendoAge thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
inv4der wrote:

i think he said he could remove like another 4 seconds total off this record but it would required batshit overprecise timing. gotta find that NintendoAge thread.

Not what I asked. I said name them, not say how much time not making the mistakes would save.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Cabanon wrote:
inv4der wrote:

Not what I asked. I said name them, not say how much time not making the mistakes would save.

good point. cant say cuz i dont know much about SMB glitch and stuff.

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching speed runs. My favorite runner is SRKFunkdoc.

How he crushes games is just amazing. His Holy diver runs are getting better and better.

I personally like trying to 1 credit complete/1 life complete games. I almost 1 life completed the first loop of Gradius III on Arcade difficulty for the SNES. Got to the final stage, 2nd half of the stage then died.

I raised $10 for the American Cancer Society, and I plan on doing another stream next week for the same cause. Mightysquirrel is my Twitch name, and I have the 1 life completion attempt saved on my channel

I'm pretty certain that I am going to start speedrunning Berzerk on the Atari 2600, to get to a mil. Last time took 10 hrs and 10 min, and that's with a lot of deaths. A lot less deaths, less times goofing off, and I know I can get under 10 hours easy.
megallica  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:

at the end of world 8-3, on the way to the flag, he grazes a block that slows him down a little. probably less than a second though

this is pretty crazy though

taking the most dangerous paths because they're slightly faster, and avoiding all powerups because it would waste time to grab them

that jump between all of the hammers at the end was nuts

and he was a pixel away from death so many times

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megallica wrote:
inv4der wrote:

at the end of world 8-3, on the way to the flag, he grazes a block that slows him down a little. probably less than a second though

Are you 100% sure that that wasn't okay, given that there are times where being a second slower saves more time thanks to the end level fireworks that happens on certain times?

High end speedrunning is a funny thing.

Also everyone should watch the SM64 120 Star TAS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most noticeable error is jumping over the last pipe in the last level. He could have saved like half a second there.
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching a lot of people run Pokemon lately. You have to have more luck than all of the people in an entire city to get a good run. In addition, money management is definitely a bitch. Mess up once and you're pretty much fucked.

Also, random runs are possibly the most hilarious category for any game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on Banjo-Kazooie under 3 hours, but my best was something like 3:03, and I kept having runs with massive mistakes that ruined everything and kinda lost interest. Well, 3:03 is still decent...

Zelda OoT is also a game I liked to run, but I don't like doing it with glitches. Just pure and simple speedrunning through every dungeon and temple. I've done it in seven hours at best, can still do better. I don't really feel like wasting my time on it now anyway.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Chrono Trigger run was pretty much the moment I decided I only cared about 100% runs. I have literally no clue what is going on at any point during that video. I'd like to think that a speedrun should be a demonstration of skill and planning that any of the rest of us putzes could achieve given that level of dedication, not a race to rewrite the game's code.

Also, fuck the Excalibur II.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: