Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Vinyl records, anyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Vinyl records, anyone? Reply with quote

Ever since I was a wee little child, I've always been interested in my mom and dad's old record collection. My dad has pretty much every Frank Zappa LP ever pressed, while my mom had her own collection of obnoxious albums released throughout the 80s.

For the longest time our household didn't have a working record player, but a few years ago my dad bought a mediocre CD/Cassette/Record player combo. Ever since then I've been obsessed with spinning records, and I've fallen in love with the sound quality versus just about anything else.

Just recently I've finally started my own record collection, purchasing a new album whenever I get the chance. I've only been purchasing records for maybe six months now, but my collection is steadily growing:

Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave LP (Translucent Blue, /2500)

My first real record purchase. I immediately bought this when I found it at a local record store. I have been awaiting an opportunity to purchase a first pressing copy for a long time now (they hardly ever pop up for sale, and even then can sell for $100+), but I just needed to own this when I saw it. Probably my favorite album of all time, and it sounds amazing on vinyl. Came with a color insert with lyrics.

Tera Melos - Drugs to the Dear Youth Remastered 10" (Clear Splatter, /idk)

This was first pressed on vinyl when the EP first came out in 2007, and I had no idea it was remastered and repressed this past April until about 2 months ago. Clear splatter vinyl looks fantastic.

Polar Bear Club - Sometimes Things Just Disappear Gatefold LP (Aqua, /2000)

I have wanted this album for awhile, and when I found a used copy for vinyl + CD for only $8 I jumped on it. Inner artwork is just the lyrics.

The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon LP (Translucent Orange, /1000)

I've been trying to buy this LP since it came out last April, but I just got this past Christmas. Sadly, it arrived with major damage to the jacket, with the record itself warped. It still sounds fine, but I'm crazy when it comes to keeping my records in mint condition.

The Fall of Troy - In the Unlikely Event Gatefold Double LP (Mint Green, /1000)

I ordered this right when the pre-order went up, despite not being a huge fan of the album. I'm still glad I got it because the vinyl mix of the album sounds much better than the CD mix. Sadly, this record also arrived with major jacket damage. The top right corner is extremely bent, to the point where I'm surprised the records themselves didn't arrive cracked. Inner artwork is the same as the CD booklet, with all the lyrics included.

Between the Buried and Me - Alaska Gatefold Double LP (Clear, /1000?)

This album sounds fantastic on vinyl. Out of my records, I probably spin this one the most. Inner artwork is just lyrics.

Hot Cross - Risk Revival Gatefold LP (Picture Disc, /250)

I've wanted this album on vinyl ever since it came out in 2007. Normally I don't go for picture discs since they sacrifice jacket artwork for a plastic sleeve and let the picture disc serve as artwork, but this record came with full artwork anyways. Inner artwork is a continuation of the cover art, and lyrics came on an insert.

Protest the Hero - Fortress Gatefold LP (Translucent Green?, /idk)

I wanted this record because not only is it a fantastic album, but because the jacket art/quality is amazing. It's such a pretty package, and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Inner artwork is just lyrics.

Foxy Shazam - Introducing LP (Clear Splatter, /700)

I adore this album and it went on sale at vinylcollective.com right before Christmas so I decided to grab it. Came with a color insert with lyrics.

Fireworks - All I Have to Offer Is My Own Confusion Gatefold LP (White, /300)

I was so excited when Run For Cover records announced they would be pressing this album on vinyl. Sadly, I was short on cash when the pre-order went up and missed out on the blue variant which was /200. Instead I got white, and after 6 months of waiting and hearing only bullshit from the manager at RFC the record finally shipped and arrived..... cracked. RFC wouldn't help me out so I was forced to order a new copy, and opted to order from Deathwish (who is famous for their amazing customer service). The album shipped in less than 24 hours and arrived at my house in only 3 days after I ordered it. Deathwish also sent me a protective sleeve for the record, which is really awesome because out of all of my records I wish to keep this one in perfect condition. As for the cracked one, I plan on getting it signed the next time I see the band, and then I'll hang it on my wall.

Right now I'm awaiting my copy of blink-182's Enema of the State to ship, and then on February 2nd I'll be pre-ordering Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me.

So, anyone else embrace this not-quite-forgotten form of audio playback? Go ahead and post anything and everything to do with vinyl!

Last edited by SeaMoney on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Twang  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one vinyl record: The Clash's Combat Rock.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
SteroidPirate  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect everything vinyl since I got my dad's collection from him. He collected every single Beatles album while he was growing up, so I managed to grab that from him. I also got The Guess Who's discography on vinyl, a few Rolling Stones and a few Frank Sinatra. For MY collection, I have..

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Vampire Weekend - Contra
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (40th anniversary)
Rise Against - Sufferer & The Witness
Rise Against - Appeal To Reason

And a few other I can't name off the top of my head. I should be getting Arctic Monkeys - Humbug and Whatever People Say I Am.. this week, too.

vosnos  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteroidPirate wrote:
I collect everything vinyl since I got my dad's collection from him. He collected every single Beatles album while he was growing up, so I managed to grab that from him. I also got The Guess Who's discography on vinyl, a few Rolling Stones and a few Frank Sinatra. For MY collection, I have..

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Vampire Weekend - Contra
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (40th anniversary)
Rise Against - Sufferer & The Witness
Rise Against - Appeal To Reason

And a few other I can't name off the top of my head. I should be getting Arctic Monkeys - Humbug and Whatever People Say I Am.. this week, too.

My dad has a huge vinyl record collection and a few months ago I tried to look through everything and found some pretty great stuff. When I came across Dark Side of the Moon, it was just an awesome feeling. I was holding like a 35 year old copy of one of my favorite albums of all time. I took it upstairs and it's now in my room Found a ton of classic stuff (Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix, etc) and was just amazed at how much he had. I love the nostalgia and added authenticity that comes with vinyl records.

VISIT MY ACC. THREAD! | MY BANNERS | I LIKE SHOES

TheLieInKing  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've inherited my parents records, and bought a few of my own. However, despite appreciating the lovely sound of vinyl, I've stopped purchasing them. I honestly think that CDs are that much more practical (not to mention cheaper) that they merit collection more.

JimmyHero33  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 40 vinal records all vintage I have not got any new remastered vinals like fall out boy ect all beatles and the police ect.
I love the soung quality that you get from vinal and I also love that those few seconds when you first put a vinal on and you just here the fuzz it's great haha.
I have stopped buying vinal at the moment bcause I am expanding my cd collection at the moment but I do prefer the sound of records.

SeaMoney I am jelous of your copy of alaska! I have nto got any newish vinal but I would gt that fio I saw it lucky you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLieInKing wrote:
I honestly think that CDs are that much more practical (not to mention cheaper) that they merit collection more.

Modern record that are released on both CD and vinyl are actually more the same price than not. Even the older stuff is still iffy on which one is just more rare. Death Angel's The Ultra-Violence CD sells for $40+ more than the vinyl.

I can agree on it being more practical. If I buy a vinyl, I'll usually download the album so I can listen to it on my computer which is just easier. I also have a USB turntable that I can capture the audio with. So the practicality levels are moot unless you're really lazy.

I'll post some of my vinyl tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I've only picked up a few records here and there. I don't really mess with them much, and I don't collect them or anything.. Mostly I just noticed some stuff for decent prices at stores and figure what the hell.

All the Elliott Smith records (minus a few of the EPs) and the elliott smith 45s

American Water by the Silver Jews
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
TheLieInKing  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Modern record that are released on both CD and vinyl are actually more the same price than not. Even the older stuff is still iffy on which one is just more rare. Death Angel's The Ultra-Violence CD sells for $40+ more than the vinyl.

This may be true, but from a personal standpoint no great matter, as I rarely if ever buy "modern" releases, and CD prices tend to drop very quickly.

If I factor in secondhand ownership (and I do occasionally buy secondhand), vinyl generally will cost more and be of lesser quality anyway, unless it's been taken care of as well as I would take care of it.

As for practicality, I guess I agree; I've ripped most of my records too.

GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ''Terminator 2 Vinyl of Guns 'n' Roses You Could Be Mine'' . rare limited edition version.

I also have an Original Jeff Waynes Musical Version War Of The World'' on Vinyl AND Cd. Both extremely rare.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have a nice large colleciton of Metallica vinyl couple years ago. stupid me selling all these but they went top price on ebay. i had like JiTF Red Vinyl, JiTF monster shape, Creeping Death ep. until it sleeps 10" red vinyl, all the original albums. i also had a Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill SEALED lp. i dont remember all of them, but they feel awesome when you play them. its an new experience everytime you listen to one of them. it got that catchy thing you dont forget at how quality was 20-30 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh vinyl...

After years of being forgotten in the basement, my parents busted out their old record player and vinyl albums back when I was 13 or so (1991 or so). They had long since sold their Beatles albums, but they had a nice selection of Bob Cosby records as well as Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restuarant."

My brother and I would listen to those Cosby records while we were supposed to be sleeping. We must have listened to each of those albums 50 times. However, my mom donated the player and albums to a charity garage sale. That was the end of that.
idrumprettywell  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty young to buy records (12 years old ) but i went to a used record store today and bought some records:

2112 - rush

power windows - rush

some girls - rolling stones

the cars - s/t

news of the world - queen

and now my dad and i are starting our own record collection. any ideas on where to get them cheap in bulk?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a record collection.

The Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
The White Album (Beatles)
The Wall (Pink Floyd)
Hey Jude (The Beatles; Google it)
Led Zeppelin IV
Whitesnake (Whitesnake)
Crimes of Passion (Pat Benetar)
Pieces of Eight (Styx)
Don't Look Back (Boston)
Bosten (Bosten)
1984 (Van Halen)
Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)
Asia (Asia)
Leftoverture (Kansas)
Infinity (Journey)
E5C4P3 (Journey)
Second Album (The Beatles)
Revolver (The Beatles)
Meet the Beatles!
Yellow Submarine (The Beatles)
Beatles IV
A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles; red cover instrumental version)
Rubber Soul (The Beatles)
Beatles '65
Abbey Road (The Beatles)
Third Stage (Boston)
Let it Be (The Beatles; it's an original pressing )
Greatest Hits (Queen)

I like vinyl a lot. Played on a AT-PL50.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
JimmyHero33  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertman123 I see a lot of beatles in that collection I like that and some Pink Floyd and Led Zep amongst other good bands. Do you still pick up the odd vintage vinal if you see one you like?
idrumprettywell only 12 and into vinal it is good to see you have good taste in music also (IMO)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: