Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Emulator?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LocalH  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily think emulators should be a no-go, though. They just need to be running at original fps (so 50/60fps). Many other competitive scenes allow (or even prefer) emulator usage.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I am consulting with my brethren.

My assumption would be, when you're submitting a score here you are saying which platform you achieved it against, and it may not be possible to guarantee that an emulated platform is identical to the original (I suppose one tell would be scores/FCs previously unattainable start occuring on the emulated platform only, but the lack of this is not a guarantee that the emulator is OK).

So hold tight and we'll figure it out.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

JCirri in IRC wrote:
Yeah, we've debated a few instances of hardware adapters removing restrictions but still requiring proper performance, and I believe let some of those scores stand with video proof. I don't see a case for scores via software emulation being acceptable though, with potential timing/processing differences being involved.

My personal take is along these lines:

TheLonging wrote:
If it's not for submitting scores to the site, then emulators to me seem perfectly fine. I don't see the big deal about it. I trust any high-level player, heck, any decently-proven player, to be honest and legitimate about a GH/RB emulator if they're going for FGFCs. If you're submitting scores to this site though, emulators are 100% a no-go.

So we will request that you not submit scores achieved via software emulation. I understand a couple of these have been reported and I will get around to those.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it would be useful to work with the modding community to develop an "accepted" "definitive" version of GH2 with no gameplay engine changes, but the many quality-of-life enhancements that we have added (like the bugfix for the HOPO restart issue, the adjustable hyperspeed, the quick restart in practice by pressing Select Clone Hero-style, the live note streak counter). Obviously the strum limit fix would be left out, since it changes strumming behavior when nearing or surpassing the limit (52ms between strums). The potential is also possible to include all authentic variations of each song's charts, including the ones from the OPM and 10-song demos, the different PS2 retail variants (like the Wrathchild note), and the 360 versions. It would even be possible to put GH80s in there, including the prototype 80s charts. We also have it working where you can change between GH2 and GH80s style UI assets where they're different. Imagine a one-stop shop for playing *all* authentic GH2 and GH80s charts that publicly exist. One could "easily" get a "true" GH2 FGFC where they FC all extant versions of the charts.

I suppose this is a separate topic from whether emulators should be accepted for runs. However, I do feel like allowing hardware mods, but not software mods, to bypass the strum limit, is outside of the spirit of this website. I don't see why there should be a magical "barrier" between software and hardware mods where one can be accepted and one is never possible to accept. To be clear, I'm not looking to invalidate that one specific Trogdor run. I merely would like to campaign that we allow a subset of vetted software mods to be counted as legitimate.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - in theory it SHOULD be something that WOULD be fine, if all things remained equal. But because it is impractical if not possible for us to prove that, we have to disallow scores achieved with emulators on the site.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not necessarily advocating for emulators to be accepted, but that we work together to build a custom version of GH2 Deluxe, with the strum limit present, that is acceptable for uploading scores to the site. It's already technically possible to remove the strum limit in an extremely stealthy way, by just literally replacing the executable only, and using it with a fully vanilla ARK. We could literally have "GH2 Deluxe: ScoreHero Edition" with a definitive CRC32 for the ISO, admittedly I know no way to be able to calculate and display the CRC32 in-game on the results screen, which would be really nice towards this front.

The main reason I advocate for this is because there are a lot of quality-of-life enhancements that we've added to GH2 Deluxe, that would be nice and helpful in terms of grinding (like hyper quick restarting in practice by pressing Select, or fixing the bug where if you miss a hopo and quick restart you can't hopo that note, requiring a full song reload), or just cosmetic changes (adjustable hyperspeed, note streak counter).

If this were 2007/8 and we'd just fixed the strum limit, I'd almost suggest creating a separate section for tracking strum-limitless PS2 scores. But this is 2022 and that's probably not worthwhile. Kind of unfortunate, since the strum limit has been a thorn in our sides for 15 years, and yet it's very much dead.

LocalH  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A useful development for verification of runs has happened. We have a working input display that shows the buttons that are pressed, and even for how long (with a roughly 30ms or so granularity to the values and images). For each fret, and both strum directions, we count how many inputs of each button, and a cumulative timer of how long notes are held.

As to things that would change actual scoring (and thus be more useful for customs) we're also working on modifying the code to make overlapping SP. We already have it working for whole SP phrase gain, and I have a lead on getting whammy gain to coexist with SP drain.

ArchaicFossil  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sighs* glad i checked im vry sorry i just uploaded an emulated score before even thinking to check if that was ok (i have the hardware i just dont have a way to play guitar hero 1 on a crt and also stream just yet but obviously il get around to it gotta buy more cables now i gues huh) legit i just assumed it was ok bc most communities dont have a problem with it and i diddnt even think about it D: before anyone gets up me pls dont ban me i allready deleeted it wasnt even an FC anyway my bads guys wont happen again ,sorry D:!
szymmirr  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emulators could be added as a separate platform imo.

please add gh3 and gha career battles score tracking thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: