ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Oh My God...Part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deshtruction  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm....so is that as hard as FC'ing Jordan or something? I'm a Noob to that game

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
N00b, you are treading on thin ice. I would be careful what you say.

fair enough, i didnt realize it was getting to that point. depending on the forum you're at, arguments arent taken as seriously, where as in some forums people find my style of arguing(sarcasm and the occasional cheap shot) annoying/offensive. i'll tone it down in the future.

anyway, all i was trying to say is that just because a series has been around for a while doesnt mean that new games cant be beginner friendly. there's plenty of games that are older but still have beginner friendly modes of play after all, and not just in the rhythm gaming genre. mortal kombat armageddon, wwe smackdown vs raw, the maddon series, and various other games have an easy mode that beginners can play, but IIDX's easiest mode is still very hard to pick up and play.

and i dont enjoy being able to skip easier difficulties. donkey konga is too easy for me to enjoy, same with taiko no tatsujin. i thought guitar hero was going to be the same way untill i started getting to the 8th fret hard songs and expert difficulty when i changed my mind about the game being shallow.

i think some of you were missunderstanding what i was saying about skipping easy in GH, i DONT like that. that was a complaint. easy should be easy, but only 3 buttons is IMO something that can handicap you when you try and move on. i have friends that have been playing for weeks and cant play hard because they got used to that 3 button stuff on easy, then medium with the 4th button is just enough for them. its like beginner in DDR, it doesnt help you because it doesnt teach you the proper aspects of the game(stepping back to the middle for the loose). i personaly prefer a hard to learn game like IIDX(being a guitar hero website i dont expect that comment to be agreed with), i liked the challenge of learning 7 keys no autoscratch.
Matt  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, I was trying to stop any arguments before they got personal and/or malicious.

My counterpoint was that I feel that IIDX is beginner friendly, because you have various options such as hi speeds, autoscratch, easy lifebar, and 5 key option. I also feel that beginner friendly doesn't mean it's easy; I think beginner friendly means it's easy to grasp the concept of the game and understand the goals.

I will agree it is not an easy game to get good at, though.
Whodi  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N00b brought up most of the points why I think Beginner and 5-key aren't a good replacement for the real thing. Autoscratch does not teach you how to score on GOBWS. Easy lifebar does help a lot, but there should be ways to get used to the normal lifebar. There's no reason why there need to be Light7 songs as hard as Stoic. GH and DDR are good examples of how the difficulty curve should be. Most songs on Easy on GH and Beginner on DDR are roughly the same difficulty and there's lots of room for new people to practice. If they want to ramp up the difficuty, crank it up to Medium or Hard.

Please don't be under the impression that it's too hard for me. I've played it for a long time and I think I'm pretty decent. I'm just thinking from a global perspective here. Releasing a top-heavy game would work fine for me, because that's the level I play at, but from a game designer's perspective it's not a spectacular idea to make the bar start so high. Adding a difficulty below Light7, an actual game mode unlike Beginner, would not affect us veteran players at all, and would make the game a lot more approachable. Just my opinion though.
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodi hit that one on the head with the stoic L7 example. the easiest difficulty for that song is 7*, why? i love stoic, but it was so long before i could play it. and some songs are just dumb. i have 1 L7 song to pass on the games i own, g2, a 6*. i can play 6* and 7* on another, why cant i pass this?

and like i said with the 5key mod, when IIDX first came out(after 5key beatmania) all the good players even had to relearn how to play because of the extra two keys, so 5key just slows people down. my brother has been playing longer than me and he started on IIDX with the 5key mod turned on, he has trouble with 6* stuff on 7key but can pass 8* and 9* with 5key turned on. you dont learn what you need to when you turn on stuff like that. imagine being able to turn off the orange and blue frets in GH and playing on expert. what are you learning there?
JDM  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If L7 songs as difficult as Stoic were commonplace, you might have a point.
Matt  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compare it to DDR, you cant fairly compare L7 to DDR's beginner. You can compare DD'rs beginner to IIDX's beginner... both max out at level 3, have kinda half-assed ratings, etc.

Remember though, that in DDR, you have many 6's and even a 7 (La Seniorita Virtual) on light mode. I'm not saying that its good that they made stoic so hard, but I think it was kind of meant to be a boss song (despite being an easy 12 from what I hear).
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDM wrote:
If L7 songs as difficult as Stoic were commonplace, you might have a point.

i had originaly typed up like 3 pages of why i think IIDX has too steep of a learning curve but i deleted it. its a pointless argument really, too many good points on both sides. lets just agree to disagree on that.

as for DDR's beginner mode, its bad. IIDX's home version beginner mode was atleast usefull for learning if you DIDNT turn on 5key and autoscratch. use some 1s and 2s to learn the basics, then those 3s like V, snow, and colors really teach you the basics of streams, rhythm, and following a beat. DDR encourages stepping back to the middle, has no freezes, and throws stuff like left X4, right X4, jump, jump at you(and it teaches to go back to the middle durring each of those steps), which really doesnt even prepare you for light, a lot of people have been known to get stuck because they tried beginner.

and i specify IIDX's home version beginner because the arcade version helps no one. IIDX can be very frustrating with no mods, especially to a beginner. all of the songs are 1*, despite the fact that gigadelic(one of the few i've played in red AC) is easily a 3. in the arcade its just not very well done. most people would see it there then look for a home version if they found it fun, right? but if they try a beyond frustrating beginner mode and think "i could never be good at this" they wont buy the home version, especially at import prices.
MazriMTaiM  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning how to follow SEVEN keys and a turntable on the screen is never going to be a quick and easy process, even with beginner mode, 5-key, and autoscratch. It's all dependant on the user's ability to adapt. If you're struggling with 1* songs, then you need to work at it more, and not give up because the game didn't hand the clear to you off the bat.

IIDX RED AC is not a good example of how beginner mode works, since it was majorly tweaked in the next version due to how shitty it was. It's now more like what has been seen in the home versions for some time, and it never outright says "Why not use 5-key autoscratch?" but it's still an option.

I've hosted tournaments for beginners before to give them a chance to play the game, and the majority were able to figure out the game in a couple songs. Sure they'll fail 2* songs with a C, but they like it and wnt to play more. They know it's tough but they keep playing. I've seen people who put real effort into it and go from beginner to clearing all of light 7 in a couple weeks.

Lastly, why can't they have difficult stuff on Light 7? Would you like Stoic to be 7/11/12, which is a much smoother jump than say - 4/11/12. Just because you like the song and heard it in DDR does not give you permission to get pissy when you can't play it. It's a goal then, to reach the song you want to play. They add difficult light 7 songs because then every difficulty has the full range to play on. I know some people who would refuse to play 7key ever...well, this is a good way for them not to improve further, since stuff like Stoic, G2, Gigadelic, and so on are there to keep them going. 7key would seem not to bad if you pass Gigadelic L7 right?

Whew, what a first post. ^^; Sup Sean.
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome MazriMTaiM! How was the trip over here from vjarmy? :p
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont mind stoic L7 personally, i can pass it. i just dont like how thats TECHNICALLY stoic on easy. IMO BMUS did this right, beginner was in the actual game mode and not in a seperate beginners mode. if stoic were in BMUS it would be selectable as beginner->normal->hyper->another. see how much better that looks to someone who just started this game? but sense beginner is there i guess thats just nitpicking, i think there should actually be an easy mode for beginners in the main game like BMUS has.
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough; have you seen happy sky yet though? HSCS did an excellent job in beginner mode... as in, the notes are on beat in all the 1's that I have seen, instead of seemingly random placements like a lot of red's beginner charts.
N00bSaib0t  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real beginner charts? thats awesome, sounds like BMUS beginner mode. i still play some of them, because they were good charts. V, colors, and snow come to mind as good beginner charts. and with a beginner mode like this where you still get to play the real game and not those stupid ass random charts(a la RED AC) its easier to get a beginner into the game.

anyway, now that i look at my description of BMUS with the way it handled beginner, it really depends on the game if its beginner friendly. playing on beginner isnt a degrading thing(atleast not to me), but having to go to a seperate mode for it is IMO. its like saying "you arent fit for game mode, play this instead". the way BMUS does it is like telling a beginner, "ok, here is game mode, and this is the difficulty you should start on. have fun, dont hurt yourself, you'll be playing on normal in no time", ddr does this same thing. japanese IIDX games are more like "you cant play L7? go to n00b mode now. j00 r t3h suxxorz".

short version- most japanese versions suck for newbies, so they should get BMUS if they want to learn the game and get the harder japanese versions later.
MazriMTaiM  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt: The ride wasn't too bad. Enough talking with Phr34k about this site got me here, really. The site looks pretty nice. I'll be sure to post more in other places soon, I won't be stuck in just IIDX mode. ;)

N00bSaib0t: Your last post was dead on, really. They don't want people to play Beginner forever, so they really do encourage you to move on. Even the instructions in BMUS do this IIRC. If you challenge yourself to tougher stuff, you're bound to advance faster than staying in a zone you're comfortable with. Though if you're comfortable, you don't necessarily have to push yourself.
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRENT! *pounce*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: