ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Beatmania's Da Shiz!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kachie  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it for the first time in a good ol` japan arcade. I guess you`re supposed to use both hands or something on the buttons but I couldn`t get away from playing them like a keyboard with my right hand. The game seemed pretty cool enough. . .although it was hard to hear sometimes (guitar freaks and drum mania being on either side of it). . . the only thing that really bugged me was the um. . . expression stuff that they flash. (i.e. good! great! poor!) It totally got in the way and was very distracting. I like my notes to come slow and I read them right above where you have to play them so those dang expressions were REALLY a pain.

"I'm a loner dottie, a rebel, you don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. . . "

thekovinc  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatmania came today, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I've only had it for an hour and am only up to the 4's on 5 button mode, but it seems very fun. I can't wait until I get a little better to start playing some tougher songs!

1226.png
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. As far as 5-key goes, it's okay... I'd probably actually recommend just going ahead and moving to 7keys, because that's what you'll normally be playing anyways. Once you get up into the 7*s, that's where it begins to be really hard to progress any farther...

thekovinc  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreyvas wrote:
Good luck. As far as 5-key goes, it's okay... I'd probably actually recommend just going ahead and moving to 7keys, because that's what you'll normally be playing anyways. Once you get up into the 7*s, that's where it begins to be really hard to progress any farther...

Oh, I know. I have been told about how hard it is. I'm progressing through the 6s on 5 key right now. I figure I'll just finish them off (just to beat them). There's only like 4 or 5 songs I haven't beaten on 5 key (unless they go higher than 7* but I don't see any as of yet).

But yeah, I'll move to 7 key and start getting pwned soon enough :P

1226.png
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 5key spikes in difficulty really fast near the last few songs, because it's all based on the Hyper difficulty. Some of the last 5key songs (Ska A Go Go, 321 Stars) are quite a bit harder than most 6*s on 7keys.

Matt  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 key mode is fun to play on one hand
the trick to ska a go go is to play on mirror :p
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreyvas wrote:
Actually, 5key spikes in difficulty really fast near the last few songs, because it's all based on the Hyper difficulty. Some of the last 5key songs (Ska A Go Go, 321 Stars) are quite a bit harder than most 6*s on 7keys.

Yeah, I got raped on the 7*s when I tried them. I'm letting my roommates try it now. I'm off to the bars in an hour anyway so I won't get anymore playing done tonight.

Matt: Does mirror just switch the notes around? Or what does it do? (I haven't read the instructions or anything...I just pulled it out and started hitting buttons)

1226.png
Matt  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirror (which doesnt effect the scratch) switches 1 and 7, 2 and 6, and 3 and 5. I would suggest taking a notechart you are reasonably familiar with and trying out all the mods one at a time to see what they do. They can make charts easier/more fun/more challenging
JDM  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already, learn to use Hi-Speed. It's invaluable for reading harder songs without outright memorizing them or something along those lines.

The US version also has a super terrible learning curve, so don't feel too discouraged when you hit a wall.
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDM wrote:
If you don't already, learn to use Hi-Speed. It's invaluable for reading harder songs without outright memorizing them or something along those lines.

The US version also has a super terrible learning curve, so don't feel too discouraged when you hit a wall.

Yeah.... I haven't had much time to play it in awhile. Haven't played ANY videogames in awhile for that matter.

I haven't used Hi-Speed at all. Does that just lengthen out the note chart so you can see it better? (And therefore have them come at you faster, hence "Hi-Speed"?)

And the learning curve hasn't been too bad. But I'm not that far into the game at all. I didn't beat the 3 7* songs on 5 key, and I'm only up through some of the 5*s on normal for 7 key. Finished Beginner, haven't touched Hyper or Another yet. I still have a lot of playing to go

1226.png
blah  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekovinc wrote:
I haven't used Hi-Speed at all. Does that just lengthen out the note chart so you can see it better? (And therefore have them come at you faster, hence "Hi-Speed"?)

And the learning curve hasn't been too bad. But I'm not that far into the game at all. I didn't beat the 3 7* songs on 5 key, and I'm only up through some of the 5*s on normal for 7 key. Finished Beginner, haven't touched Hyper or Another yet. I still have a lot of playing to go

Yeah, hi-speed effectively just spaces out the chart. It doesn't make the song faster, it just makes the notes move more quickly. Once you adjust to the speed of the notes falling, it's beneficial because it allows your brain to focus more on the immediate notes on hand rather than being distracted by the next two measures which are already coming down from the top of the screen.

It's been a long time since I started, but from what I've seen from many people, myself included, progressing starts to get really rough from about the 6* level onward. It may be smoother sailing on US, but I know there is a HUGE gap to clear when you get toward the higher end of another. 11*s are barely represented at all, and most of the 12* another songs (12* being the highest) on US are among the hardest in the entire series.

And holy shit, it's another Minnesotan. That makes 3 that I've noticed on SH now. :O Well, assuming random on here is the same guy who makes Ransai Pop'n ASCs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been playing more IIDX, since I'm taking a break from Guitar Hero until November 7th. I made myself happy tonight by clearing another 7*: Back Into the Light 7k.

Metalmuppet  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing BeatMania (5 keys) at an arcade like two weeks ago, and it looks fun. However, I can pretty much pass every 4* on normal mode except The Least 100sec. But I've also passed a couple 5*'s on that same difficulty(Brilliant 2U and alienhead).
GetThere1Time  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid bump. BMUS just came in the mail for me two days ago. I should have had the foresight to order swap magic but I didnt so now that's on the way. I just jumped right into 7 key. After two days worth of progress, I can beat most 1s and 2s save Outer Limits. I can't touch most 3s yet besides the really easy ones on normal. Since I can do the 1s and 2s fairly easily now but not the 3s, I'm just going through and trying to get used to sightreading and getting my left hand more agile. I'm playing them on random, mirror, HS2. I just randomize the song and let it roll. If I get something fairly easy, I try to play left or right handed only to get the dexterity in my hands up and to get more familiar with the controller.

This game is sooo hard and soooo addicting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got beatmania about a week before I got Guitar Hero 1. After a few days of playing I was around lvl 9-10 [A]. I couldn't pass V or colors another for the life of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: