ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
At some point, you should consider buying a real guitar.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: At some point, you should consider buying a real guitar. Reply with quote

So yeah, I'm really considering it. Here's the story.

I have some excess funds in my account right now. Why? I'm saving up for a Wii. Like, once preorder start around here, I had every intention of smacking down every dollar necessary to pay it off.

However...

I've been kinda curious to learn how to play a real guitar. I've been told I could get a cheap acoustic for around the amount of money I was saving for a Wii (250-300), and I know you don't need anything spectacular to learn on.

I've been really thinking that learning the guitar would be quite fun, and probably more rewarding than a Wii. I already have an Xbox 360, PS2, Gamecube, DS, GBA...you name it. My gaming collection is huge.

Thing is, I really don't play that many games anymore, and when I do, I generally only play in short little blurbs. I know this is blasphemy to think around here, but I kinda feel stupid praticing Guitar Hero. But a real guitar...I'd see real improvment where I could do more than what the limitations of the game would let me.

What would you do in my shoes?
Leitmotif  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an Epiphone Gig Pack. The cheap Epiphone guitars are really good for the beginning guitarist. A gig pack should come with the guitar, a small 10-20 watt amp, a strap, and a case.

I've been playing guitar for 6 years and still bust out my old Epiphone every once in a while.
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitmotif wrote:
Get an Epiphone Gig Pack. The cheap Epiphone guitars are really good for the beginning guitarist. A gig pack should come with the guitar, a small 10-20 watt amp, a strap, and a case.

I've been playing guitar for 6 years and still bust out my old Epiphone every once in a while.

I assume that since you mentioned an amp and stuff, that that's an electric. I know it goes against the grain of 99% of people in the world(especially at sites like that), but I'd really like to learn acousitc if anything. It has a soft spot in my heart for various reasons.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
Leitmotif wrote:

I assume that since you mentioned an amp and stuff, that that's an electric. I know it goes against the grain of 99% of people in the world(especially at sites like that), but I'd really like to learn acousitc if anything. It has a soft spot in my heart for various reasons.

they make electric acoustic guitars...
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Alakaiser wrote:
Leitmotif wrote:

they make electric acoustic guitars...

Hwaa....WHAT BLASPHEMY DO YOU SPEAK?

Really now. It's probably better for me to avoid that, though. An amp would probably be the last thing my family would love to hear, even a cheapo one. That's one of the OTHER pluses of an acoustic. It's not insanely loud(not that it's quiet, but put it this way. I used to play the trumpet)
Shadow  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still get an electric if I were you. Without an amp it's not as loud as an acoustic but it's still loud enough for you to hear it, and as your skill develop, you'll only need a better amp with effects and/or a pedal, so you could use it as an "acoustic"... I'm quite sure that you'll eventually start craving for more than 12 frets, too. ;P
schzoidbaka  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get an acoustic. They're teh beez-neez.

I started out with an acoustic, and it's a lot better. Since the strings aren't as soft as an electric, it's better for building much need callauses in your fingers. It also makes playing an electric easier when you switch.

I got a Yamaha acoustic bundle pack for half the price you're naming. It came the guitar (duh), softcase, learning book, learning dvd, extra strings, string winder, and a tuner. Oh and a guitar stand too.

Eletric acoutics are pretty rad. It's just an acoustic that you can plug in to an amp if you want, and my friend's one comes with a built in tuner. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Besides, you cant properly bum money off the street by singing song with an electric guitar and amp.

(p.s. I used to play trumpet too!!)

Last edited by schzoidbaka on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
popemobile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Alto Sax, thank you very much
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, is it sad that I took the game's advice and got a Squire Strat pack for my birthday this year?

...No? Well, is it sad that the color of my guitar looks suspiciously like the SG controller?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe because every other "starter" electric, is the color black?

HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. I could've gotten a red, blue, white (patriotism ftw!), or black one. Unfortunately, I wanted the white and they were out...I wanted the red and they were out...and my friend has a blue one, so I didn't wanna cramp his style.

I love my Squire though. I don't really play with the amp too often though...since I'm not terribly good at the guitar yet, and I don't wanna amplify suck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schzoidbaka wrote:

I started out with an acoustic, and it's a lot better. Since the strings aren't as soft as an electric, it's better for building much need callauses in your fingers. It also makes playing an electric easier when you switch.

I got a Yamaha acoustic bundle pack for half the price you're naming. It came the guitar (duh), softcase, learning book, learning dvd, extra strings, string winder, and a tuner. Oh and a guitar stand too.

Eletric acoutics are pretty rad. It's just an acoustic that you can plug in to an amp if you want, and my friend's one comes with a built in tuner. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Besides, you cant properly bum money off the street by singing song with an electric guitar and amp.

w00t, trumpet owns. Only problem with that, though is that I got braces right after high school, so it was too much of a hassle to try to keep up with the trumpet when I didn't really have any need to play it, so I just stopped. When I got my braces off, I had totally lost my lip muscle and I don't feel like training my lips yet again.

Yamaha, eh? You're not the first person to point on that name. *keeps in mind*
schzoidbaka  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
schzoidbaka wrote:

w00t, trumpet owns. Only problem with that, though is that I got braces right after high school, so it was too much of a hassle to try to keep up with the trumpet when I didn't really have any need to play it, so I just stopped. When I got my braces off, I had totally lost my lip muscle and I don't feel like training my lips yet again.

Yamaha, eh? You're not the first person to point on that name. *keeps in mind*

Yes, trumpet does pwn. I have braces right now, right when I started high school, so I decided to quit band. I wont have them senior year, so I was considering joining band again.

Yamaha isn't bad at all. Please do keep that in mind.

rabies  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schzoidbaka wrote:

Yamaha isn't bad at all. Please do keep that in mind.

Yamaha RULEZ!

I have
1 Yamaha Trumpet (from my band days many moons ago)
1 Yamaha Acoustic Guitar (that I stole from my dad and learned to play guitar on many moons ago)
2 Yamaha electronic devices (Reciever and CD player)
1 Yamaha FZ1 Motorcycle (my most prized yamaha possesion)

I like the triple tuning fork company. They make things in all the areas of life I am interested in. Stereo Equipment, Motorcycles/recreational vehicles and instruments! WOO!
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*jots down notes for more good feedback for Yamaha*

Also, wanna hear something fucked up? There was a guy in my class who was an amazing trumpet player, but could only play with his retainer in. He got his braces off early in HS, but had to play with his retainer every single time he played. Ever. Soooo fucked up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: