ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
At some point, you should consider buying a real guitar.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShineNSB  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started up recently with an Aria guitar. Cheap, but works well enough once it's setup. Once I improve, I'll drop a few hundred on something more decent. I'm lucky enough to live in Seattle, so I have access to an extremely good teacher, Pascal Louvel.*

I was the first-chair clarinet and the drum major in high school band, but I wanted to try the guitar so that I'll have something more suited to making music without having a large group. Clarinets sound pretty annoying by themselves. GH was an inspiration, but it really hit when I saw the Aria bundle on clearance at Music123.com. I mean, for a hundred bucks, why not at least give it a try?

I mostly stick to my lesson worksheets, but every now and then I'll mess around with tabs of certain songs. Cavemen Rejoice is a lot of fun to play.

*www.seattleguitarteacher.com
Kachie  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: At some point, you should consider buying a real guitar. Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
So yeah, I'm really considering it. Here's the story.

I have some excess funds in my account right now. Why? I'm saving up for a Wii. Like, once preorder start around here, I had every intention of smacking down every dollar necessary to pay it off.

However...

I've been kinda curious to learn how to play a real guitar. I've been told I could get a cheap acoustic for around the amount of money I was saving for a Wii (250-300), and I know you don't need anything spectacular to learn on.

I've been really thinking that learning the guitar would be quite fun, and probably more rewarding than a Wii. I already have an Xbox 360, PS2, Gamecube, DS, GBA...you name it. My gaming collection is huge.

Thing is, I really don't play that many games anymore, and when I do, I generally only play in short little blurbs. I know this is blasphemy to think around here, but I kinda feel stupid praticing Guitar Hero. But a real guitar...I'd see real improvment where I could do more than what the limitations of the game would let me.

What would you do in my shoes?

Get an acoustic. This way you don`t have to invest a crap load of money into something you`re not completely sure you will stick with. And some advise with learning? Know your scales. It may seem really annoying and boring to go through those simple method books, but it pays off. I worked in a music teaching studio (i taught piano) and the guitar teachers would always gripe about these kids who just wanted to go and play the stuff they know without putting the work in. Really get down your basics until you can play them without thinking. Same goes with really any instrument I think.

"I'm a loner dottie, a rebel, you don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. . . "

Ryudo  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Alakaiser wrote:
Leitmotif wrote:
Get an Epiphone Gig Pack. The cheap Epiphone guitars are really good for the beginning guitarist. A gig pack should come with the guitar, a small 10-20 watt amp, a strap, and a case.

I've been playing guitar for 6 years and still bust out my old Epiphone every once in a while.

I assume that since you mentioned an amp and stuff, that that's an electric. I know it goes against the grain of 99% of people in the world(especially at sites like that), but I'd really like to learn acousitc if anything. It has a soft spot in my heart for various reasons.

they make electric acoustic guitars...
My dad and brothers have those I have a black electric yamaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: