ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Most FRUSTRATING RPG moment (Thread 1 of 2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
My story involves an obscure (japanese?) game for the NES called "Chesterfield".

Oh, wow, man. I played Chesterfield for the Commodore 64. I never even got that far, though. There was a place I was stuck at, but I can't remember where it was.

CrackerRiley  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my most frustrating RPG moment(s) have to be when i learned that i had to face seymour in FFX not just once, but many times. damn that was frustrating because it took me so long to beat him. then im just going along happily and all of the sudden, there he is again!
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
HylianHero wrote:
I'm gonna stray away from the FF theme of this thread and include my anger story for Tales of Symphonia. It was my first time through the game, and seeing as how I had managed to get through most of the game fairly easily, I didn't really bother leveling up very much. (I was about lv. 12 after the first dungeon area)

Anyways, apparently there's a glitch of sorts in the game right after this where instead of going to the level 15 dungeon like you're supposed to, you can directly access and lock yourself in a dungeon with level 20 to 25's... I was stuck in there for DAYS. Finally beat the boss, went back to theh 15 dungeon and blazed through it. But I nearly took my memory card and fed it to my dog in frustration that I had locked myself in. And unfortunately for me, I had saved it RIGHT after locking myself in.

Ah, you want frustrating ToS moments...

THAT FUCKING SLIDING ICE PUZZLE. OMG did I get stuck there forever. My mind just DID NOT click with that stupid thing. I was screaming at the set before I got it.

Combat system was fun as hell, though. =)

The ONLY reason that was not a frustrating moment was because I spent so much freakin time in the almost same damn puzzle in Pokemon Silver that I understood how it worked fairly fast. Oh, and that's another frustrating moment. Trying to navigate through the damn ice puzzle in Pokemon Gold/Silver.

But yes, the combat system rocked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I played through Pokemon Gold and had the same exact problem in that game. XD
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
Oh, and that's another frustrating moment. Trying to navigate through the damn ice puzzle in Pokemon Gold/Silver.

Eh, that was just a matter of trying things until you found out what worked.

JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrackerRiley wrote:
my most frustrating RPG moment(s) have to be when i learned that i had to face seymour in FFX not just once, but many times. damn that was frustrating because it took me so long to beat him. then im just going along happily and all of the sudden, there he is again!

Tell me about it. That was very annoying.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Armageddon  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yunalesca, from FFX, was the one that caught me off guard the first time I played. I was amazed I had to fight her because of her place in the story line, and I fought and killed her 1st form. I thought I was done, so I put down the controller to watch the ensuing cutscene. She morphed into her 2nd form, and that was tough. My guys were talking a beating, most of my aeons were dead, but I prevailed. "Phew, that was tough, glad it's over" I said, and put down the controller to watch the cutscene I so rightfully deserved. But the game had other plans. She morphs into her 3rd form, and insta-kills my entire party. NOOOOOOOOO! That totally pissed me off, because I didn't bother saving after the former boss, because I didn't expect another boss. 2 failures in 1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armageddon wrote:
Yunalesca, from FFX, was the one that caught me off guard the first time I played. I was amazed I had to fight her because of her place in the story line, and I fought and killed her 1st form. I thought I was done, so I put down the controller to watch the ensuing cutscene. She morphed into her 2nd form, and that was tough. My guys were talking a beating, most of my aeons were dead, but I prevailed. "Phew, that was tough, glad it's over" I said, and put down the controller to watch the cutscene I so rightfully deserved. But the game had other plans. She morphs into her 3rd form, and insta-kills my entire party. NOOOOOOOOO! That totally pissed me off, because I didn't bother saving after the former boss, because I didn't expect another boss. 2 failures in 1.

yeah that seriously pissed me off too. i dont think i ever got past her. she would always kill me in her 3rd form. that is where i gave up playing this game. i came inches from beating her and it all crumbled away. she doesnt change again after her 3rd form does she?
QuistixXx  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrackerRiley wrote:
Armageddon wrote:

yeah that seriously pissed me off too. i dont think i ever got past her. she would always kill me in her 3rd form. that is where i gave up playing this game. i came inches from beating her and it all crumbled away. she doesnt change again after her 3rd form does she?

Lol, as long as you're prepped to deal with Hellbiter and MegaDeath then you're ok, but it does come as a shock first time (I was lucky enough to have 1 character still zombie'fied so I survived MegaDeath).

My most irritating moment was in DMC3, on the final DMD battle with Virgil. I had spent half an hr bloody chipping his health down, and he was now down to about 20% left. Then he started going crazy and teleporting all over the place WHILE DT'ed, so his health regenerated while he did it. I couldn't hit him, so I had to watch in dismay as his health creeped back up. Then I had a chance, I jumped in and pounded him again down to 15% health, then he went crazy again. 45mins had now passed since the start of the battle. Again I got a chance and chipped him down to 15% health, then he teleported and killed me with 1 hit.

I'm surprised my controller didn't explode. I nearly snapped the sodding thing in half

EDIT: I know that isn't an RPG, but I've not really had any problems with RPG's. I've played so many that I'm usually pretty careful. However, if anyone has played Unlimited Saga, that is frustration in game form

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
Haha I played through Pokemon Gold and had the same exact problem in that game. XD

Yeah, 'cept for me it was Silver.
I got so pissed off i gave it to my non-gaming sister and she cleared it in 2 seconds. God bless the bitch.

I would say, fighting Zeromus over and over in IV and every time i do more and more damage but he never goes down...
bcruise  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time caller here (heard about the site from watching those incredible Youtube videos)

I've had too many of these to count, so I'll just go with the most recent one....

Valkyrie Profile II. Dunno how many of you have played it, but there's a way to manipulate enemies' stats and elemental properties through what are called Sealstones. Using them correctly is actually very important to getting through some of the tough parts, but when used wrong they can absolutely doom you completely.

In chapter 3, I'm going through this mine and I run across a sealstone called Brimstone Law, which in it's description says "Turn to fire". All throughout this mine, I've been running into Wasp Nests which have an elemental weakness against Fire. So I start thinking if they get the effect from this stone, I'll have a much easier time beating them (you can't attack them physically, gotta use magic).

So I activate this stone and go on my merry way, right up to the boss fight. As soon as I get in and cast my first spell, I realize my terrible mistake - "Turn to Fire" meant literally to turn the enemy's element to Fire, not make them weaker against it. To make matters worse, guess what the only magic spell I had in battle was? Yup, Fire. I could not kill the Wasps at all, because I couldn't attack them physically, and my fire spell only healed them. So I just ran up to the boss and let him wipe me out (which he did in very short order).

This system can have some major growing pains attached to it.
manicmonkey  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stayed over at my friends house overnight and we continued our old FF7 file and tried to beat it. We were up all night playing it non stop, and then my friend fell asleep. i stayed up playing it to level up and all, and then my friend stretches out his legs, and his toe hits the reset button while i was saving. then it corrupted, throwing 60 hours of our lives down the drain. Then my friend woke up in the morning and i told him what happened and he flipped out like mad! we were so frustrated....
NetStormer  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much frustrating, as annoying... but stat maxing in FFX with the sphere grid... this is the definition of monotony!!! killing the same monsters over and over (about 32 for each stat and i think 200+ for HP and another 25 for MP)

Uhm... frustrating RPG moments... In Mt Nibel on FF7, I could not figure out how to start the boss fight with the Materia Keeper... I wandered around there for lord knows about 3-4 hours, and then I finally figured out that you have to "talk" to the thing (Press O while up against it). Then the killing ensues!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me! I remember this one part in Granstream Saga for PSX where I was in this dungeon and I got to near the end of it and reached a part where there is a "Moonstone" sitting there. So I clicked the X button and the dialogue box prompts something to the effect of "Take the moonstone?" So of course I click "Yes" but nothing happens, so I proceed to walk around the dungeon for the next 5 hours going out of my mind trying to figure out what to do (this was before the days internet was really really popular)...finally I go back up to the stone, and click "No" this time out of frustration. Then, a secret door opens and lets me continue. I wanted to scream.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Frostilicus  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with two, both SNES moments....

One, FF6 (aka FF3 US). Did anyone else ever get the weird sketch glitch to happen? I triggered it without knowing what was going on and thought that I was going crazy. Just when I first got Relm in the World of Light...and yet I suddenly had 0 (aka, 255) Illumina, 0 Gladius, 0 Wonder Shoes...etc. etc. CRAAAZY stuff. now that's a boon, but there were graphical errors, and weird things happening. I had no idea what was going on - just started over.

Second - Lufia 2. Kind of crappy game, but with one innovation I LOVED - the Ancient Cave. Since most of you have probably not played this....in the Ancient Cave, every time you entered you were reduced to level 1 and had nothing. There were 50 floors, each with progressively more difficult monsters. Everything was randomized - what you found there, what treasures there were...and on certain levels you would find special chests which had powerful items that you could keep when you came back to the Ancient cave. Basically you had to make tons of trips through it to collect enough equipment to get down to the lower floors, adn even then you ahd to get lucky in terms of what spells you found on the way in order to have an even fighting chance. Dying at one of the last floors to some impossibly tough monsters...after all of the hours of working and trying to get lucky on getting one last weapon for the one guy who needed a good one....I damn near ripped see the SNES apart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: