Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
the METAUL!!!! Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: the METAUL!!!! Thread Reply with quote

Hi folks

Thought it might be fun to start up a thread where fellow heavy metal fans post interesting bands/albums to check out...

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to recommend an album which has just come out by a favorite band of mine called "Negura Bunget".

The album ("Om") is basically a continuation of the sound they were developing on it's predecessor ("n crugu Badalui"). The music itself is atmospheric black metal - harsh vocals, somewhat atonal riffs repeated several times to establish mood, ambient style keyboard passages - basically, in my eyes, these guys are good musicians, but the atmosphere that they create is just exceptional.

I first fell in love with their earlier album when I was driving through the country at dusk in the middle of winter, nothing but snow covered fields to either side of me - so desolate, and yet so peaceful - this scenario perfectly complements their music - it is stark, yet undeniably alive, and it draws you into its own little dark world with a subtlety too often lacking in recent releases.

By and large the albums are largely instrumental with scattered rasped vocals, and they certainly would not appeal to people who think that "Cradle Of Filth" is as heavy as it gets - however, if you're intrigued to hear something which in many ways defines genre classification, and basically just ROCKS, I highly recommend giving this album a listen.

I would also like to just add once again that this is not everybodys cup of tea. Even as far as eastern European avant-garde black metal goes, these guys are out there. They'll go from a harsh black metal guitar riff with vocals sounding like they emanate from the depths of hell to a bouncy Eastern European tune, complete with traditional singing styles and traditional instruments. I can only speak for myself when I say that this is quite possibly my favorite album of the year so far!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Mordred  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of black metal so I probably won't be checking that out, but I do have a suggestion of my own.

My favorite metal album of the year is Seventh Wonder's Waiting in the Wings. This is progressive metal the way it was meant to be played. It's the band's second album and sadly their first was crap. They replaced vocals and suddenly became one of the best progressive metal bands on the planet. The change is simply amazing.

For progressive metal albums I like better than this the list goes something like:
Queensyrche - Operation: Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
and a few Opeth albums if you consider them progressive metal.

Seventh Wonder is really that good, but at the moment almost completely unknown in the states. They don't have distribution deal here sadly, although their stuff should be readily available in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soilent green.

They're like...every genre of music...but metal. Its hard to explian, just listen to them.
career score 13mil (12.3mil)
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordred wrote:
Not a big fan of black metal so I probably won't be checking that out, but I do have a suggestion of my own.

My favorite metal album of the year is Seventh Wonder's Waiting in the Wings. This is progressive metal the way it was meant to be played. It's the band's second album and sadly their first was crap. They replaced vocals and suddenly became one of the best progressive metal bands on the planet. The change is simply amazing.

For progressive metal albums I like better than this the list goes something like:
Queensyrche - Operation: Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
and a few Opeth albums if you consider them progressive metal.

Seventh Wonder is really that good, but at the moment almost completely unknown in the states. They don't have distribution deal here sadly, although their stuff should be readily available in Europe.

Have you heard "Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" - it's my favorite prog metal album EVAAA. Never heard of Seventh Wonder, but I'll try to give it a listen - I generally enjoy progmetal (ironically enough, the only thing that annoys me about it usually are the warbling vocalists).
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackwater Park is the finest progressive metal album I've heard so far.
That's Opeth, for you nonbelievers.

JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone into Gamma Ray at all?

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Hellion42  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
Have you heard "Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" - it's my favorite prog metal album EVAAA.

Saw Symphony X live a few years ago, touring with the band I'll nominate in a second. Little hole-in-the-wall club in North Jersey, out in the middle of nowhere with a shitty PA. But it was a damned fine show.

A German band by the name of Blind Guardian was headlining. They've been my pet band for... holy, about 9 years now. *feels old* Their roots are in thrash, but over time they moved more and more towards an epic feel. Their vocalist is one of those guys that you either love or hate: very distinct voice, and not all of it is accent either, as he sounds funny even when speaking German. (Almost all of their songs are in English BTW.) A lot of their lyrics are based on fantasy literature. Most notably, the album Nightfall in Middle-Earth is entirely devoted to Tolkien's The Silmarillion. They also did a 15-minute piece on Homer's Iliad.

My favorite BG albums would be Nightfall and Imaginations From the Other Side. Songs to check out would be "Script for My Requiem," "I'm Alive," "Bright Eyes," and the title track from Imaginations, and... well, just about all of Nightfall. Mr. Green

*nominates "Goodbye My Friend" for GH3*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreyvas wrote:

\m/
Mordred  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
Have you heard "Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" - it's my favorite prog metal album EVAAA. Never heard of Seventh Wonder, but I'll try to give it a listen - I generally enjoy progmetal (ironically enough, the only thing that annoys me about it usually are the warbling vocalists).

DWoT is a great album. Michael Romeo is awesome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreyvas wrote:

Very few albums have impacted me more than the first time I listened to Blackwater Park. In fact the only one I can think of is Master of Puppets.

Leper Affinity is one of my favorite songs to play on real guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why Blackwater Park gets all the "Opeth" love - it's a great album, but I think it's probably my 5th favorite by them...

In order:
Still Life
Morningrise
Deliverance
My Arms, Your Hearse
Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
Damnation

I'm not a big fan of Blind Guardian - I used to be, but now I find them too damn cheesy - I do have to admit to my tastes having changed more to the heavier/more underground side of things though. In fact, most power metal annoys the living $%^$& out of me (I haven't actually heard Gamma Ray, but I have a feeling I'd have the same visceral dislike of them as I do of most other bands of the genre).

I've also come to the conclusion that if "Immortal - Withstand The Fall Of Time" is not in GH :Metal edition, I will have to chop off some heads!!!
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to a new progressive band.

The Human Abstract.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=9021312

Listen to "Mea Culpa." This stuff is amazing.

EDIT: Fascinating, WuLFe. You pretty much listed those Opeth albums in the exact opposite of how I would have. Haha. Except for Damnation; that album is a completely different entity.

shutendoji  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting metal vid...Dream Evil: The Book of Heavy Metal

this song is awesome...although the drummer is rather creepy...haha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8hIOWnSJi8
malictus  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting music in this thread for me to go out and try to find now...

My main recommendation would be Meshuggah; I'm a big fan. Despite the fact that the vocals are all in that death metal Cookie Monster scream/growl style that I absolutely hate, the music is fascinating. VERY complex polyrhythms, with an amazing drummer, pounding rhythm guitars, and a lead guitarist who would be right at home in a jazz-fusion group. Great stuff...

Also, if there's anyone out there who hasn't yet heard Iron Maiden's new album, I highly recommend that too. It's rare to find a band so late in their career still making first rate music; it rivals the best of their classic 80's period....

As for older stuff that I recommend, check out John Zorn. He's a jazz saxophonist with crazy manic tendencies who has done plenty of experiments with noise/metal artists. Check out the Naked City release; very good stuff.
SynysterGates  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Meshuggah w00t Catch ThirtyThr33 is awesome. The band All Shall Perish has a new album out which is like a mix of death metal and hardcore. basically means growling vocals and breakdowns every minute or so. sounds kinda gay now that i read what i wrote but at least check out their video for "Eradication". im also really into A Life Once Lost, their album "Hunter" is just a great listen front to back. their kinda metal/death metal but at my music store they're in the punk section. anyway check their videos for "Vulture" and "Rehashed" if youve got some time
- Fear Before The March Of Flames
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: