ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GTJem's Painting Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akaleth wrote:
A few questions...

1. I noticed that someone asked whether you needed to sand down the Les Paul faceplate for whatever reason. Is this true, could I go directly to the base coat?

A few answers...

1. Although I don't have a Les Paul in front of me, it has been typical of these guitars that the surface of the plastic seems to have a glossy extra smooth finish to it. This can be seen clearly in this picture of the RO wireless where the front and back pieces were finished differently:

Any special finish or coating that is applied over the raw plastic may cause bonding problems for your primer and paint. To be on the safe side, I would recommend briefly sanding down anything you plan on painting with fine sandpaper and wiping clean with rubbing alcohol.

Akaleth wrote:

2. If I were to do a brush paint (I'm thinking it might be better for the job I'm thinking of doing) what would be the easiest way to get rid of any showing strokes before the polish?

2. This really depends on how complicated your design is going to be. The type of "brush" you use to apply the paint has a huge impact on what texture the result is. It also depends on how thickly you apply the paint and what kind of paint you use.
In short, there are no hard and fast rules about it, but it is largly determined by your technique. If the design is simple enough, you could apply multiple layers of paint to allow for a quick wet sanding. I'd be very careful about doing that though since it would be easy to go overboard with it and ruin your design (especially if you were using water soluble paints!)
I'd recommend using a stencil and spray painting if possible.
Either way, a couple thin layers of clear coat over any painting job helps smooth out the look and conceal minor painting weirdness.

Akaleth wrote:

3. I don't remember what the third was but if I remember I'll edit it.

3. The answer is 42.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you take the "pick"gaurd off or do u just paint it as it is?
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTFAF2HARD wrote:
do you take the "pick"gaurd off or do u just paint it as it is?

Either way, but it depends on what kind of design you're going for. My first guitar I painted right over the pick guard and overall it looked great, but some of the edges around the pick guard were not as sharp as I would have liked.
Kerrang  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me any UK Shops that sell Krylon Fusion? I really wanna paint my SG!! And what the guy above said, can you take the pick guard of and just paint the body? I've never taken the guitar apart before so I don't know. Thanks.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerrang wrote:
Can anyone tell me any UK Shops that sell Krylon Fusion? I really wanna paint my SG!! And what the guy above said, can you take the pick guard of and just paint the body? I've never taken the guitar apart before so I don't know. Thanks.

I'd contact Krylon and ask them where your nearest retailer is (if there are any in the UK)

As for your other question. If you take the pick guard off, it leaves a void and screw holes where the guard was. It can be filled in with an auto body patch material called bondo or whatever your UK equivilant is. Check this post on some details on how I did it to one of my guitars:
http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=17748

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a quick question. I want to paint my LP face plate like Zakk Wylde's bullseye. Would I paint the entire guitar white THEN do the black stripes or visa versa?
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiskyBusiness wrote:
Okay, I have a quick question. I want to paint my LP face plate like Zakk Wylde's bullseye. Would I paint the entire guitar white THEN do the black stripes or visa versa?

It depends on how you want to lay out your design, but in general, I'd say to paint the white first, then the black circles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this picture..

i liked that iron maiden sg.. it was beautiful! fire explorer was great too

My accomplishment thread
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, a few other questions...

(Just as an fyi, this is a design with only 2 colors the way I'm planning it.)

1. I believe I know the answer, but just to be on the safe side; after the base coat, which should be the lightest color of the design, I do 2 more true coats, and then afterwards continue with the design, spraying the darker color of the two where I want it to be and then spraying the lighter color again where I want that to be, thus making a third coat after the base coat. Is this correct?

2. In case I have trouble finding Krylon paint, do you suggest any other paints that you've had good experiences with?

3. Same as last time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im am going to be painting my LP soon and I have a question.
Should I Take off the face plate, Sand, base, sand, coat, smooth sand, polish, clear. Then do the same to the face plate its Self?
Just to clarify I am painting it like Buckethead's LP. White Body, Dark wood Neck Ya' Know
100 Expert Drum FCs [92]
200 Guitar FCs [176]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: VOD T3ABG1N
maroonfive95  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, I am working on my les paul and stratocaster. My Les Paul will be inverted colors white with back trim and white neck. My statorcastor will have white pinstripes and some black inlay dots on the neck. I dont know if anyone metioned it but I normally go to a Auto Paint shop and buy Pin stripe Tape (Super thin tape that cost 18 for 150') I use it for outlines for flames, stripes, slashes, etc.. Great guide!!
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question:
Is it possible to remove the Pick-guard for the Kramer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Painting an Xplorer Reply with quote

Are there any differences in the end if I decide to sand the guitar and use the Fusion paint or if I want to sand it and then primer and paint?
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting an Xplorer Reply with quote

MasterSprtn117 wrote:
Are there any differences in the end if I decide to sand the guitar and use the Fusion paint or if I want to sand it and then primer and paint?

Any Krylon Fusion paint can be used as a primer since it bonds to the plastic and can be used as a primer for other types of paint. A white primer layer is recommended for lighter colors and will help those colors pop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was, after all the painting (including clear coat) is done, is there any difference in how the guitar looks or in the texture of the guitar?

Also, if I wanted to do a sunburst design, is it recommended to sand the guitar as the guide mentioned? Or could I 'cheat' and use a coat or two of the Fusion paint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: