ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Component AV Cable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHAR  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Component AV Cable Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the ps2 component av cable works on standard tv's (not HDTV) with component inputs, because some were just meant for DVD players, and if it does is there actually picture quality difference between Composite and Component on standard tv with component input?
Again not talking about HDTV

Hope question made sense

Thanks Mr. Green

emptyset  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be able to tell you when my RO order with the GHII bundle comes, because I ordered a $6 component AV cable along with it. Right now, I'm using a non-HDTV 24" flat-screen TV with PS2 hooked into the S-video input, and it has a component input, too.

I like S-video's picture quality more than the standard composite video, since it provides a much brighter and crisper picture (better signal separation). However, I'm not entirely sure if the benefits from jumping from composite to component on a non-HDTV are going to be as noticeable as changing to S-video was. It makes a bigger difference for DVD players because you can enable progressive scan output through a component TV input, but again, the potential is only completely realized on a 480p HDTV.

Like I said, I'll let you know when I get mine in the mail, but if your TV has S-video, I'd get an S-video AV cable and go that route instead. It's cheaper, and I've tried it on several TVs and it looks worlds better than composite RCAs. But again, I'll post my opinions in a few days when I hook it up.

This might not have been the most technically-detailed post, so has anyone else tried this on a non-HDTV?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Component AV Cable Reply with quote

SHAR wrote:
Does anyone know if the ps2 component av cable works on standard tv's (not HDTV) with component inputs, because some were just meant for DVD players, and if it does is there actually picture quality difference between Composite and Component on standard tv with component input?
Again not talking about HDTV

Hope question made sense

Thanks Mr. Green

The answer is yes. My 27" Sony Wega CRT (non-HD but have since upgraded to a 40" Samsung Widescreen LCD) accepts component-in and it works just fine. There is a big difference in picture quality between component and composite. Heck, S-Video looks a LOT better than composite on my TV. Yoshi's Island had never looked so good (yes I have at LEAST s-video for every console)!

Edit: Emptyset and I posted around the same time. I can CONFIRM that it works. I have component cables and the proper TV to test it out on and played it that way for quite some time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the response. So you think its worth getting the component av cable then, i only want it if it is a really noticeable difference on a standard tv

Huwonk  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAR wrote:
Ok thanks for the response. So you think its worth getting the component av cable then, i only want it if it is a really noticeable difference on a standard tv

I wouldn't go for it unless you're planning on upgrading to HD soon. S-video is a bigger increase in quality from composite than component is from s-video. Then again, it can't hurt. S-video is significantly cheaper, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thank you Huwonk and emptyset, your comments helped out alot!

Thanks

let me know when you get yours emptyset.

Last edited by SHAR on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
emptyset  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huwonk wrote:
SHAR wrote:

I wouldn't go for it unless you're planning on upgrading to HD soon. S-video is a bigger increase in quality from composite than component is from s-video. Then again, it can't hurt. S-video is significantly cheaper, though.

Heh heh, this is some pretty instantaneous tech support.

Also, how big is your TV? Like Huwonk said, on a 27 incher, it's noticeable but I've seen TVs as small as 14" with component inputs before (used to work in retail). On a TV that small, the difference is negligible. I bought mine because I needed a spare cable, and it was $6. But, if you migrate between TVs a lot and don't plan to upgrade soon anyway, S-Video is cheaper and more flexible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20 Inch Philips CRT

I also have a Playstation 1 SVideo Cable laying around, Don't know if it will work with ps2, because i don't think the input changed from PS1 to PS2

emptyset  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAR wrote:
I have a 20 Inch Philips CRT

I also have a Playstation 1 SVideo Cable laying around, Don't know if it will work with ps2

I'd leave it up to you, in that case, if price isn't a factor. You'll see a difference either way you go (S-video/component), but if you move your PS2 a lot between your TV and friends' TVs, or around the house, you're more likely to find S-Video inputs than component inputs on non-HDTVs.

I'll update you when I get it. Huwonk's TV was a 27" Sony Wega CRT, which is probably the highest-quality non-HDTV you can buy, so I can imagine the picture looked great. I, however, am using my roommate's Sanyo TV, so I'm not sure if the potential for a large leap in quality is there. I'll post here in a few days though. Glad to help!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emptyset wrote:

I'll update you when I get it. Huwonk's TV was a 27" Sony Wega CRT, which is probably the highest-quality non-HDTV you can buy, so I can imagine the picture looked great. I, however, am using my roommate's Sanyo TV, so I'm not sure if the potential for a large leap in quality is there. I'll post here in a few days though. Glad to help!

Ok, I will just use what i have until you update in a couple days..I don't even have a PS2 right now gotta trade in my Xbox1 to get a PS2 Friday. Was going to buy 360 but can't wait until January to play GH2.

Thanks again

wuLFe  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDMI FTW!!!

Seriously though, there is quite a big difference between composite and conponent (even on non-HD sets) - I'd go for component over s-video personally - even if the difference isn't that big, you have to think that eventually you'll upgrade to HD, and if you went the s-video route, you'd just end up throwing the cable away...

On my setup, I have two devices hooked up using component (PS2, Xbox 360), and 2 devices hooked up using HDMI (PC, Satellite Receiver) - composite is pretty horrible, IMHO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
SHAR  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably buy a component cable, but i'll wait until emptyset gets his from the red octane site and see how good those are, because i dont want to pay more for the Sony brand one.

quackadilly  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Component.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAR wrote:
I will probably buy a component cable, but i'll wait until emptyset gets his from the red octane site and see how good those are, because i dont want to pay more for the Sony brand one.

The only thing I strongly recommend is this: do not pay more for a 'better' brand of cable. Technology's technology. A plain-Jane component cable will provide as high-quality of a picture as an overpriced Sony-brand or Monster-brand component cable, I assure you of that. I've compared a Monster S-vid cable and a $5 GE S-vid cable, and there is NO difference. A better-shielded cable will really only make a difference if you're setting up a multi-thousand-dollar home theatre and want to minimize interference between hundreds of wires and electronic components. But since you're using a 20" Philips TV and not a 71" DLP, you should definitely not fork out more $$ for a brand name.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emptyset wrote:
The only thing I strongly recommend is this: do not pay more for a 'better' brand of cable. Technology's technology. A plain-Jane component cable will provide as high-quality of a picture as an overpriced Sony-brand or Monster-brand component cable, I assure you of that. I've compared a Monster S-vid cable and a $5 GE S-vid cable, and there is NO difference. A better-shielded cable will really only make a difference if you're setting up a multi-thousand-dollar home theatre and want to minimize interference between hundreds of wires and electronic components. But since you're using a 20" Philips TV and not a 71" DLP, you should definitely not fork out more $$ for a brand name.

Yeah I really didn't plan on getting any of the expensive ones. I will just use the SVideo from PSone if it works on PS2. And if you encounter real nice quality from the one you just ordered i will go ahead and get the component cable as well. If you really see no difference between that and SVideo, I might as well stick with SVideo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: