ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH3 SR Contest Official Info Thread (updated: ghevents up)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkoftime123  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I think about it is it ok to play hard career first but sign up for expert?
LudaChris520  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: A suggestion. Reply with quote

I know I'm relatively new here, and by relatively new I mean my membership is less than 24 hours old . However, I have been a longtime visitor of the site. I would like to propose a motion..

Due to the extremely large number of people exposed to the demo in some way, shape, or form, is it possible that those songs can be treated in a special manner? While elimination from the contest may be extreme, why not designate an imposed penalty (based on the honor system of course) of perhaps 75,000 to 100,000 points based on the first attempt when the game retails. The penalty would need to be decided by the person running the contest. I think, in most cases, a 75-100,000 reduction would result in a score that was even lower than the person's first attempt, at least for these particular songs which many would agree are not unreasonably difficult. However, at least they are receiving partial credit for the song so their overall ranking has a little more grounding to it. Even people who have not played the demo have likely seen footage from several of these songs, as I know The Metal and Rock You Like a Hurricane have had clips featured prominently in promos or websites' coverage of the game, with others appearing widely over the Internet. Getting a -0- for these songs immediately eliminates such people from reasonable contention on the overall rankings, which to be honest is the most appealing aspect of the contest.

Maybe this motion won't be considered seriously, but I think its a topic worthy of thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: o5 LudaChris 2o
M002  

Location: Westhampton, Suffolk County, Long Island, NY, U.S.A. Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this sounds fun
but there are too many flaws that I have participated in like the Demo, and I love to watch vids on youtube
besides, i'm not a very good sightreader....
have fun!
Barfo  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linkoftime123 wrote:
while I think about it is it ok to play hard career first but sign up for expert?

Nope, for this contest its a sightread ONLY if it is the first play of that song for you on any difficulty. So you need to decide if its more important to you to play through hard career first (you could turn in for hard sightread then), or participate in the expert sightread (and then you'd have to play through expert first before startign hard).

LudaChris520 wrote:
(bunch of stuff about scoring)

Yeah re-read my paragraph about scoring in the rules thread. All scores are normalized from 0-100 anyways based on placement rank according to the season 6 league points formula (theres a thread that explains this formula somewhere in this subforum), so your concerns are partly obviated by this (the relative disadvantage from missing any given song is greatly minimized) and your proposed solutions dont really apply at all. Its never going ot be the case that any score other than a sightread will be acceptable for this contest (it is a sightreading contest), however all songs are independently scored and its fine to not turn in for songs which you do not have a sightread. ive alraedy considered some of the sort of situations that might arise due to much lower participation due to the demo and i hav soem possible solutions in mind. Depending on what hte turn ins look like for those songs, then i may switch things up a little bit in terms of scoring (which would probably take the form of alternate leaderboards). But the minimum you will see is one winner for overall playing all the songs (or nearly all of them as some might get cut if there is a statistically invalid sample size) and one winner for best average performance on all songs sightread (which will partly normalize for people who cannot turn in on a decent number of songs due to having blown the sightread on them, a category under which i, for example, count myself). And of course there will be all the scores listed in order on a song by song basis.

EDIT: oh also, since somebody asked about it before, no sightreads obtained with the demo version are NOT acceptable (any more than you can enter them into the GH3 boards on SH). There is too much potential for tiny differences, and besides it is not GH3 proper in any case, the milieu under which the songs are played is different.
LudaChris520  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best average score for all songs sightread is a much, much better solution than the one I proposed, haha. Sorry, I tried to read as much of these posts as I could, but like I said I just registered yesterday so I've been playing serious catch-up. Sounds like a lot of thought has been given into the issue... I'm still excited by the contest, I just which I had known about it prior to playing the demo.

Hopefully people maintain their honesty (which I can tell is generally not a problem here) in regards to the demo songs.. most people will probably have seen parts of these unintentionally through the intense coverage leading up to the games release.

Should be fun in any event.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: o5 LudaChris 2o
stubbscroll  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: GH3 Sightreading Contest Official Info Thread Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:
* The deadline for the contest will be sunday night two weeks after the release of the game (Nov 11th, 2007).

Is it any hope of an extended deadline for Europeans? It seems the game won't be released until 23rd November over here.

EDIT: I just read the discussion in the season 7 thread. I guess I'll wait for an eventual European sightread competition to happen.

bballcenter7  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the web address for GHevents? I typed www.ghevents.com in the browser and some bridal supplier popped up

meister  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballcenter7 wrote:
what is the web address for GHevents? I typed www.ghevents.com in the browser and some bridal supplier popped up

www.ghevents.net

dogfoodnyc wrote:
Wow, you guys got Meister?! I am expecting this group to hit the top
RB3 Bass FGFC! 1st x-plat
My RB Thread- | Renegades of Funk Accomplishment Thread|Twitter|My YouTube channel Please subscribe!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MeisterSH PSN Name: justindeboer
edub004  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all of the songs on GH3 I listen to almost daily even before they were released for the songlist. Would I still be able to put in scores for that song or not. I wasn't sure because by listening to the songs one could get a good feeling for the strumming patterns as well as the change in note pitches. Just wondering.
DaRealGuitarHero  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one small question i have the 5 song demo but have only played the songs on medium and i signed up for hard so could i play those 5 songs
BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@edub004: Listening to the songs will not disqualify you on any songs. You can still submit scores on all of the songs as long as you haven't seen the notecharts on any difficulty or remember what they were if you have seen them.

@DaRealGuitarHero: No, you can't submit scores on those songs, since you have seen the charts on any difficulty. Even if you have seen the chart on medium, you can't submit scores on those songs even if you signed up for hard.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
DaRealGuitarHero  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx brian for the comformation and does any one have any ideas for the first song
CantStopMe  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so, we play and then post our score % for each song?
LudaChris520  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Hyperspeed. Reply with quote

Do you think the hyperspeed code will have been released by the time the game launches? I know there's an option menu for it in-game, but if I was told the facts the right way, I believe you have to input the code first before that even becomes available. When I get this midnight Saturday, I plan on doing my first run-through and contributing the scores for this contest immediately. I'd kick myself if I do it without hyperspeed and then someone finds out the code the next day.

Any word on the hyperspeed code?
adzicents  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hyperspeed. Reply with quote

CantStopMe wrote:
Alright so, we play and then post our score % for each song?

Post everything on GHEvents. Score, Notestreak, Percentage...

LudaChris520 wrote:
Do you think the hyperspeed code will have been released by the time the game launches? I know there's an option menu for it in-game, but if I was told the facts the right way, I believe you have to input the code first before that even becomes available. When I get this midnight Saturday, I plan on doing my first run-through and contributing the scores for this contest immediately. I'd kick myself if I do it without hyperspeed and then someone finds out the code the next day.

Any word on the hyperspeed code?

The hyperspeed code will probably not have been released/worked out by then. Even if it is, I have a feeling that it will be publicly announced so everyone knows it and either allowed or disallowed. Personally I think it will be disallowed because if its found out halfway through the sightread contest, then if you start to do better with it on, you won't be able to go back to your other scores to re-sightread them really, will you?
[*] YouTube Page.
[*] Rock Band Accomplishments Thread.
[*] RB2 Drum Scores / 50/84 Drums FCs
[*] RB2 Vocals Scores / 60/84 Vox FCs
[*] 11 Million Rock Band 1 Drums!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: