ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Scoring System FAQ (cutoff calculation explained!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pata70  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JosephL wrote:
2) If I were to generate an Excel spreadsheet that would give base scores and cutoffs based on scores and multipliers (one that would incorporate multiple examples in order to minimize the possible range for the base score), would that be useful here? I don't care about contribution points, but I would like to know if it would be used.

For your idea in 2), it's already under way.

See "GH3 Barfo Proof Project": http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32344
JosephL  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pata70 wrote:
For your idea in 2), it's already under way.

See "GH3 Barfo Proof Project": http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32344

His looks... well, automated. Huge advantage over mine.

For mine (before I read your post), I put in seven score/multiplier sets for TTFAF Easy, and got a base range of 61,750-61,753. I imagine he'll get the same range the next time he does a data pull.

I once spent about 12-15 hours calculating (by hand) all the Great totals for AAs on all stepcharts (all difficulties and Single/Double) on DDR Extreme, so believe me when I say I know the value of automation. Good luck, Barfo!
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
TheAW333  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty so much for this. helps a lot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 283582686690
Sato  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the 4 star cutoff in GH3 is "base points x2.0". I'm not sure, but 405,000 on TTFAF (1,000 below 4* cutoff) was about 1.997x, and 408,000 or so was about 2.010x. Maybe the cutoffs aren't driven by a formula like that in 3?
JosephL  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how the cutoffs come. This means that the base score is about 203,000 (and hence, 406,000 is about where the 4* cutoff lies).
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer any questions like my friend had, if u hit every note does it guarantee that you will get five stars. like most people kno, its based on score. i was jacking around one day and did radium eyes on easy but i never allowed myself to get a multiplier. now if you look at it i have only 3 gold stars.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
smygelfh  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a good thread to try my question in. I'm fooling around with programming some songparsers, but I seem to have problems with the accuracy of the notes.

A song is a lot of measures, a measure is 4-6 beats,
but a beat is how many fractions? (or if there's a real name for a part of a beat...)

While testing, it appears that a beat has to be divided into at least 32 fractions to achieve the same precision for results on held notes as I'm seeing when playing a song in GH3 (a 35/32 beat generates 27 points).

Looking at the note chards on this site, they're not really that exact, meaning I have to go through each section in each song and test until I have a good approximation on how long a held note is.

Is there a way to get this exact data, or are the charts generated more or less the same estimated way from visuals?

So, question conclusion:

1. How many fractions are a beat?
2. Is it possible to extract exact note position and note length from somewhere?
tma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smygelfh wrote:
This seems like a good thread to try my question in. I'm fooling around with programming some songparsers, but I seem to have problems with the accuracy of the notes.

A song is a lot of measures, a measure is 4-6 beats,

Well, actually, a measure can theoretically be any number of beats, just like in real music, depending on the time signature, the more common being 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 5/4, etc.

smygelfh wrote:
but a beat is how many fractions? (or if there's a real name for a part of a beat...)

They are usually called "ticks", which is a reference to a midi clock tick.

smygelfh wrote:
While testing, it appears that a beat has to be divided into at least 32 fractions to achieve the same precision for results on held notes as I'm seeing when playing a song in GH3 (a 35/32 beat generates 27 points).
Looking at the note chards on this site, they're not really that exact, meaning I have to go through each section in each song and test until I have a good approximation on how long a held note is.

Is there a way to get this exact data, or are the charts generated more or less the same estimated way from visuals?

So, question conclusion:

1. How many fractions are a beat?
2. Is it possible to extract exact note position and note length from somewhere?

In GH2 (and I presume GH1) there were 25 ticks per beat, at 1 point per tick. I believe it's the same for GH3, however there is a complicating factor that might explain the discrepancy in your results. In the game engine, every hold note is actually displayed a 1/4 beat shorter than it actually is in the game files, but you still get the full points for the hold. For example, imagine a hold note lasting four beats. The note should be worth 150 points (50 for the note, plus 25 for each beat of hold) but it will only display as 3 and 3/4 beats, but still be worth 150.

The charts have been generated from the game files themselves and so should be pretty accurate. I would use Debr's charts out of preference:

http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/index.html

I also wrote up some basic documentation on the "mid" file spec for GH3 here:

http://moto-coda.org/gh/gh3_midi_spec.txt

Hope that helps.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
smygelfh  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was very helpful, thanks a lot!

I feel a bit stupid since it seems obvious that it should be 25 ticks/beat given there are 25 points/beat for a sustained note. I was a bit stuck on the idea that a beat must be dividable by two for note placements at the centre of a beat. Looks like the millisecond granularity in the data files will allow that anyway.

The midi spec doesn't help that much though if I don't have the files to examine. Are the data files for the songs available somewhere public? I suspect it might not be entirely legal to publish them?
tma  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smygelfh wrote:
The midi spec doesn't help that much though if I don't have the files to examine. Are the data files for the songs available somewhere public? I suspect it might not be entirely legal to publish them?

I would say the easiest source of song files would be the Xbox 360 demo of Guitar Hero III. This can be downloaded for free over Xbox Live, and is readily available from other sources. If you have an Xbox 360, the free downloadable tracks for GH3 are also an option, assuming you have a method of accessing the 360 HDD.

I can't really give you any further advice sourcing the files legally without know what variant of the game(s) you have.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100th reply FTW. I hope it makes you feel special, JCirri.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
Erodyne  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sato wrote:
I think that the 4 star cutoff in GH3 is "base points x2.0". I'm not sure, but 405,000 on TTFAF (1,000 below 4* cutoff) was about 1.997x, and 408,000 or so was about 2.010x. Maybe the cutoffs aren't driven by a formula like that in 3?

Nope. It's 1.8x the base score, if I recall. It is 2.0x in GH1, however. When you look at more stats, it doesn't always mean that if the average multiplier is 1.800, that you automatically get a 4 star. It counts time outside of notes, too, if I'm not mistaken. So that messes up the formula, if that corrects your question at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
tma  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erodyne wrote:
Sato wrote:

Nope. It's 1.8x the base score, if I recall. It is 2.0x in GH1, however. When you look at more stats, it doesn't always mean that if the average multiplier is 1.800, that you automatically get a 4 star. It counts time outside of notes, too, if I'm not mistaken. So that messes up the formula, if that corrects your question at all.

You're mistaken.

The 4 star cutoff is exactly 2.0 times the base score on all GH games so far.

One thing to keep in mind with GH3 is that the multipliers use standard rounding. So a 1.9995x score will actually round up to a 2.000x score even though it's not quite there.

Another consideration is that co-op scores are completely screwed, and the multipliers don't seem to follow any logic.
Erodyne  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:

You're mistaken.

Why do I always get these things wrong?

So a 5 star would still be a 2.8, then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
tma  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erodyne wrote:
tma wrote:

You're mistaken.

Why do I always get these things wrong?

So a 5 star would still be a 2.8, then?

Yes, with one single exception being the original Guitar Hero, which was 3.0x.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: