ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Scoring System FAQ (cutoff calculation explained!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephL  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC wrote:
Example: Cliffs Of Dover. The 1st holds in the 60(?) BPM section have 0,25 beat cut from them. Then the holds in the 180+ BPM sections are shorter than they should be, because they also have 0,25 beat of a 60 BPM measure cut out, instead of 0,25 beat of a 180+ BPM measure. That makes you get less whammy power in the faster sections. Not sure if you get it, but I can't explain very well

Maybe I'm understanding this imperfectly, but the amount of whammy power you get is dependent upon the number of beats for which you whammy it, and nothing else; the tempo of where these whammies occur is irrelevant. This is why you can whammy for a relatively short amount of time on a high BPM song (i.e. The Number of the Beast) and get Star Power quickly: because the length of a single beat is so much shorter.
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JosephL wrote:

Maybe I'm understanding this imperfectly, but the amount of whammy power you get is dependent upon the number of beats for which you whammy it, and nothing else; the tempo of where these whammies occur is irrelevant. This is why you can whammy for a relatively short amount of time on a high BPM song (i.e. The Number of the Beast) and get Star Power quickly: because the length of a single beat is so much shorter.

Yes, but this theory is more or less explaining that a 1 second hold at 50BPM is worth less than a 1 second hold at 100BPM if we're talking about Star Power. I'm not really sure if this needed to be added to the whammy formula because it really only just seems to add confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
JosephL wrote:

Yes, but this theory is more or less explaining that a 1 second hold at 50BPM is worth less than a 1 second hold at 100BPM if we're talking about Star Power. I'm not really sure if this needed to be added to the whammy formula because it really only just seems to add confusion.

I don't think it needs to be added. We know that Star Power from whammies is based on the number of beats of the whammy, and differences in BPM would necessarily mean differences in Star Power as measured by time, but not by number of beats.
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JosephL wrote:
HoorayItsMike wrote:
JosephL wrote:

I don't think it needs to be added. We know that Star Power from whammies is based on the number of beats of the whammy, and differences in BPM would necessarily mean differences in Star Power as measured by time, but not by number of beats.

Try it yourself, try to get everything in Cliffs' 2nd to last activation, fail, and then tell me it has nothing to do with the whammy.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little thing I found: the amount of whammy removed from every held note is 0,25 beat OF THE FIRST MEASURE OF THE SONG.

Well, I calculated the amount of whammy that there really is in Cliffs. It appears the 6th activation gives approx. 7,1189 beats of whammy instead of 8,82 (whew). So, the whammy gives only 7,35 extra beats of activation instead of 9,10 (as you can see in debr's path). That makes you lose 600 points from upperbound, even if you squeeze well.

It also appears that the 1st activation is easier than the path shows. Calculate it yourself: instead of cutting 0,25, cut [0,25] * [actual measure's BPM] / [1st measure's BPM] from EACH held note.

Dunno if this is understandable to you guys.

Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC wrote:
A little thing I found: the amount of whammy removed from every held note is 0,25 beat OF THE FIRST MEASURE OF THE SONG.

Whaaaaaaaaattt? If this is true, I don't believe this has been discovered before...which is strange. But awesome at the same time. Hopefully this can help explain all of the strange whammy situations in songs that we could never figure out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
UndeadFil13QC wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaattt? If this is true, I don't believe this has been discovered before...which is strange. But awesome at the same time. Hopefully this can help explain all of the strange whammy situations in songs that we could never figure out.

Yeah, this would explain stuff like why Paint it Black's optimal first activation is a pretty big squeeze even though the path says it shouldn't be a squeeze at all. The first few measures of that song are slower than the rest, so relatively more whammy is removed from sustains later.

Seemingly above upper-bound squeezes on Cult of Personality? Check out the first measure; it's a good 6-10 BPM faster than the measures containing the phrases you need for the solo activation. Less whammy is removed; more notes under star power.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
HoorayItsMike wrote:
UndeadFil13QC wrote:

Yeah, this would explain stuff like why Paint it Black's optimal first activation is a pretty big squeeze even though the path says it shouldn't be a squeeze at all. The first few measures of that song are slower than the rest, so relatively more whammy is removed from sustains later.

Seemingly above upper-bound squeezes on Cult of Personality? Check out the first measure; it's a good 6-10 BPM faster than the measures containing the phrases you need for the solo activation. Less whammy is removed; more notes under star power.

Yeah, I personally think the optimal for this song is 369014.

EDIT: Also, the Arsonist starts with very fast BPM (312) then changes to 150. Thats why Lo7 has been able to squeeze so many extra notes.

LemonMeringue  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad props to undead for this breakthough... it answers quite a few questions. It seems we're getting really close as a community to truly figuring out the GH3 system, thanks to all the crazy squeezers out there! Rest assured, i will always be here to leech on the fruits of your labor

nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lemeng Meringue
Nikki  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question that has been bugging me for a while...on GH3, if there's a sustain in a SP section, and I hit this sustain late, will I lose SP since I wasn't whammying in the beginning? Or does it acts as points/ticks, it adds in the end as a 'burst'?

I end up hitting the note late when there are fast sustain sections because I focus on whammying and forget the notes =P
So I don't know if this is preventing me from getting more SP on whammy sections, like on Slow Ride (Expert) last activation, or if I just suck on whammying
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikki wrote:
Quick question that has been bugging me for a while...on GH3, if there's a sustain in a SP section, and I hit this sustain late, will I lose SP since I wasn't whammying in the beginning? Or does it acts as points/ticks, it adds in the end as a 'burst'?

I end up hitting the note late when there are fast sustain sections because I focus on whammying and forget the notes =P
So I don't know if this is preventing me from getting more SP on whammy sections, like on Slow Ride (Expert) last activation, or if I just suck on whammying

I'm almost positive that you WILL lose SP if you hit the note late no matter how immediately you start whammying. I'm about 99% sure on that. Another person's confirmation would help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I'm almost positive that you WILL lose SP if you hit the note late no matter how immediately you start whammying. I'm about 99% sure on that. Another person's confirmation would help.

Hmmm... not sure. I tried with the 3rd phrase in Paranoid, whammying the first chord perfectly, hitting the second chord late, and not playing the other chords, and I still got half of a bar (15,5 beats of whammy). Or maybe the whammy formula is wrong...

eddyf  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with the ability to play customs could test all this stuff very easily. Why not make a song where the first measure is something like 10BPM, then make the rest of the song 500BPM or other high values, with various sustains and SP phrases all over the place? If Undead is right, it would be obvious from playing such a chart.

Guide to the Tick Engine in Guitar Hero 3

Current GHIII Goals:
700k TTFAF (current score: 661k)
mydgatemysox  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

wow thank you that reaaaaly helped!!!
mydgatemysox  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: wow undead Reply with quote

omg its so nice 2 c a tru gh player posting
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: