ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Taking the fun away from less experienced guitar hero users.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edetein  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Taking the fun away from less experienced guitar hero users. Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

I just wanted to make an observation. I have noticed that a lot of people who are in the top 100 or so on expert level are spending a bit of time trying to obtain the highest scores on the easy through hard levels. I have some friends who have been playing on easy through hard and they have been logging their scores. Unfortunately they have found it difficult to get a high ranking due to highly skilled players trying to get the top scores on easier levels. It is cool to get high scores on easier levels while you are at that level but, once you have gone to a high level, why not spend the time trying to become better at that higher skill levels as opposed to trying to inflate one's ego by obtaining the highest scores on levels way below your current skill level. This would make this website a lot more fun for everyone, especially for those just getting into the game. I see users doing this everyday; just an observation. I hope that this is not offensive.
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I only play on Expert, with the exception of the current 100% Hard Contest, which is just as difficult as Expert anyway. Well, that, and I'm too lazy to keep up with two different rankings.
MaximusDM  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are many people like me that are perfectionists and they like 100% in each game or at least to the best of their ability. They want the best score and you will eventually learn to full combo the song and then you would need to find out the best strategy in order to use your Star Power.

I was one of the first users here and I thought it was great when I put my scores in for the first time and I actually went back to my old scores and redid them and watch my rank rise and it made me feel better that I am actually competing.

I actually sat down on one song and kept playing it until I rose again opponent scores. But I see where you are coming from, I had this same experience on VJ Army when I put my scores in for Beatmania US I was blown out of the water but the difference is that Beatmania has been out for year and Guitar Hero came out a bit more recently and doesn't have as big a following.

The thing is that the game came out, even if it doesn't seem like it, a half a year ago enless you are from Europe. People have pretty much mastered the game to a point and are pushing little and little to go farther to master it more by 100% every song.

I don't know what to tell you but I guess if you don't like the competition that is fine, I guess it isn't for everyone. You can always try to find a rival now that it is implemented and stay in contact with them and use each other to push your scores up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, i posted my scores to see where they were at and then thought about the same problem as you. so now im in the process of deleting them all
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
blackmamba  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to agree with you, but not really for the reasons you stated about taking the fun away from lesser players. I just think, if you are good enough to play at expert, why would you want to play at any other difficulty? Doesn't make sense to me really, but hey im not really a perfectionist i just try and challenge myself with hard songs.
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i personally use the easier difficulties to refresh myself on things on harder ones, like finger movement and using my fingertips. but then again i haven't really posted any scores on expert cuz i only even post 5stars and while i have a few, i don't feel like posting them til i'm done getting guitar god on hard, which may take a while
blah  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that hard and expert should be considered fair game to anyone - they're both full note charts using all of the keys. Considering that easy and medium do not, I really don't think of them as standard difficulties and agree that anyone with more than 20-30 scores on hard really shouldn't need to post scores for easy and medium.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is very simple: the higher the top scores the better.

My goal is to raise the overall top scores of all difficulties as high as possible to show a fuller scale of what is possible to attain. Not only by improving my own scores, but also by sharing with everyone how to achieve such high scores.

I plan on listing the calculated optimal score for each song along with an FAQ explaining the star power usage of exactly how to achieve that score. This will take the guesswork out of the game and put everyone on the same playing field. Then the #1 score will simply come down to the player who can execute the known strategy the best.

If higher skilled players choose not to play easier difficulties or submit their scores on those difficulties, that's their decision. But I enjoy competition and always knowing how much room for improvement there is. If you get a #1 score on Easy, but at the same time know that 200 some other expert players could easily beat it but simply aren't trying, then what meaning does the #1 have?

Once you have the ability to get 100% on a song, you will also have the ability to compete with the top scores, regardless of your skill level, by executing star power optimally.

The true difference in a player's skill can be shown by % Notes Hit on more difficult songs. But on songs where multiple players have achieved 100%, the deciding factor will simply be star power execution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like to start with easy and build up, I know I suck, but I like being ranked against others.
I am hoping to figure out how to do 100% soon enough
Anthony  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even bother with Easy and Medium scores.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like the other three difficulties don't even exsist for me
AskewedOne  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to play easy and medium to keep up the competiton here at home, my wife's not yet to where she's doing well on the Hard difficulty, so those two difficulties are the only true common ground we have. Besides, it's not like I was actually expecting to land the current 2nd on Stellar... Although now I'm trying to figure out where I can wrench out at least 41 more points on it for top billing.

So, that, plus the fact that I'm sometimes an ultra-competetive mf'er when it comes to things (I think) I'm somewhat good at, and a perfectionist to some degree when it comes to my gaming, keeps me going for those 100%'s... Besides, my wife's kicking my ass currently for Easy overall as I haven't had the time to get the bonus songs done... lol
MLafer  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I plan on listing the calculated optimal score for each song along with an FAQ explaining the star power usage of exactly how to achieve that score.

Interesting. How do you plan on calculating the optimal usage?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLafer wrote:
Quote:
I plan on listing the calculated optimal score for each song along with an FAQ explaining the star power usage of exactly how to achieve that score.

Interesting. How do you plan on calculating the optimal usage?

JCirri and I are writing a program to go through each song and calculate where the best SP path is, then score that path. It's taking a lot of work, but we hope to finish soon-ish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything, i think the more experienced players are providing the lesser experienced players a challenge. it gives them something to work towards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: