ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rate the Final Fantasy series in your opinion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy2000  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Rate the Final Fantasy series in your opinion Reply with quote

Ok i know FF is talked about regularly but seeing Huwonk rate the Zelda series i just thought it would be interesting to take the same idea to Final Fantasy and see what people came up with. Personally, i would rate them as follows:

FF IX (PS1) 10 - my favourite
FF VII (PS1) 9.8 - classic rpg with great characters and story
FF VIII (PS1) 9.6 - minor flaws but still one hell of an rpg
FF X (PS2) 9.5 - Spira is amazing and the game is pretty different to other ffs, sphere grid a bit too big though imo, maxing stats takes forever
FF VI (PS1) 9.0 - Bit slow on the PS but that can't hide the fact that this is still a brilliant rpg, cant wait for GBA version
FF Tactics Advance (GBA) 9.0 - addictive as hell
FF X2 (PS2) 9.0 - Spira is recycled but the game is great fun and has a different vibe to the rest of the series
FF IV Advance (GBA) 8.5 - excellent but doesn't quite reach the dizzy heights of what came after

And if i could extend that a little further:

Kingdom Hearts (PS2) 9.0 - a magical, enthralling game
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) 9.0 - doesn't quite have the magic of the first (or maybe i'm just getting older?) but improved combat more than makes up for that
KH Chain of Memories (GBA) 8.0 - captures the atmosphere of the main series well and is a solid game
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) 9.5 - a rollercoaster ride of an rpg

Well those are those are the ones i've played. Looking forward to the 23rd of February.
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite, but am not counting the Tactics series. The only FF game I haven't played is 3.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES - 6 JP, 3 US)- 9.9/10
Final Fantasy IV (SNES - 4 JP, 2 US)- 9.7/10
Final Fantasy XII (PS2 - 12)- 9.5/10
Final Fantasy VII (PS1 - 7) - 9.5/10
Final Fantasy IX (PS1 - 9) - 9.2/10
Final Fantasy V (PS1 port - 5) - 9/10
Final Fantasy X (PS2 - 10) - 8.5/10
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - 8/10
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1 - 8) - 7.8/10
Final Fantasy II (2) (GBA) - 7.5/10
Final Fantasy I (1) (NES/GBA) - 7.5/10

Last edited by Huwonk on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Huwonk
tommy2000  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huwonk wrote:
I'll bite, but am not counting the Tactics series. The only FF game I haven't played is 3.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES - 6 JP, 3 US)- 9.9/10
Final Fantasy IV (SNES - 4 JP, 2 US)- 9.7/10
Final Fantasy XII (PS2 - 12)- 9.5/10
Final Fantasy VII (PS1 - 7) - 9.5/10
Final Fantasy IX (PS1 - 9) - 9.2/10
Final Fantasy V (PS1 port - 5) - 9/10
Final Fantasy X (PS2 - 10) - 8.5/10
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - 8/10
Final Fantasy XIII (PS1 - 8) - 7.8/10
Final Fantasy II (2) (GBA) - 7.5/10
Final Fantasy I (1) (NES/GBA) - 7.5/10

Is it possible for someone like me, born in 1990, to ever truly appreciate games like IV - VI (although i do love VI)? I just wonder, because i have no nostalgia attached to them, and the games are obviously slower and with worse graphics than what i grew up with. I don't know a time when these games seemed impressive, i wasn't gaming when they came out, or indeed for a few years after.
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is possible. I think you'd probably have to go back to the originals though. The PS1 versions load way too slowly and don't do the games justice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huwonk wrote:
Of course it is possible. I think you'd probably have to go back to the originals though. The PS1 versions load way too slowly and don't do the games justice.

The GBA seems like a good home to me. IV Advance runs ten times more smoothly than VI for the PS1, hopefully the next few will aswell.
DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy XII: 10/10: I'm not even done with this and I still think it is the best.
Final Fantasy VII: 9.5/10: Beat the game when I was 5 (basically taught me how to read), so there is lots of nostalgia there for me.
Final Fantasy IX: 9/10: Great game IMO, unpredictable in the last disk, and the 12 Hour Ultimate Weapon was insanely hard to get.
Final Fantasy VI: 9/10: The game I remember most from my childhood (ages 3-7), my big sister played it nearly everyday, and it had great graphics (SNES age )
Final Fantasy X-2: 8.5/10 : Very underrated, but also very girl-ish. Love the class changes (puts a lot more into the game)
Final Fantasy IV: 7.5/10 : Just doesn't have the lasting effect as the others do. Could battle for hours on end in this one though.
Final Fantasy V: 7.5/10: Very fun, but the storyline is very confusing at times, whereas at other times, it is predictable. Although if you play this on 2 player and have a friend who would play, then I give this an 8.5/10
Final Fantasy I: 6/10: Not very fun, and items cost too much in the beginning (and not enough towards the end)
Final Fantasy II: 5.5/10: Haven't played this one a whole lot, mostly because the Level Up system IMO is garbage and not entertaining/
Final Fantasy X: 3/10: The only reason this game even gets a positive score is because the Aeons look cool, and graphics are decent. The battle system is alright, but not better than others. The fact that you max out/level up by the Sphere Grid is really dumb. I hated this one with a passion.
Final Fantasy VIII: 1/10: Wow, where to start with this one. Graphics are horrible, the characters looked better on the previous versions, and the locations that you visit are very much downgraded from even VII. The battle system is horrible, and the "Limit Break" (forgot what they called it in this game) was unbearable. The storyline isn't as good as many people say IMO (and isn't the best ending by far).

Thats my list, from the best to the worst...

CliffEmAll  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played all of them (except X2 and XI), but really I never enjoyed those before VII, maybe thats just because my only experience was with the PS versions.

FF VII: 9.5 - Over rated by a lot of people (and yet I still consider it my favourite game of all time based a lot on the nostalgia tied to it >.<)

FF VIII: - 9 - When this first came out I hated it, but I've revisited it recently and it's actually one of my favourites.

FF XI: - 8 - Probably my least favourite of the Sony FF's. I just think I prefer the alternate sci-fi world style of X, VII and VIII to the medievil style of this and the originals.

FF X - 9.5 - My second favourite FF game after VII. This bastard took a large chunk of my life away, Penance was a twat.
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy IV- 8/10 Loved the story characters.
Final Fantasy V- 7/10 Damn was this game hard. Never even had the time to finish it.
Final Fantasy VI- 9/10 The best Final Fantasy of that generation.
Final Fantasy VII- 10/10 My first Final Fantasy and my favorite. Got me into the series and gaming in general. Defintally a huge influence on me
Final Fantasy VIII- 8/10 Dont see why people hate it so much. Story was ok but the Music and Graphics were great for the time and I liked the battle system.
Final Fantasy IX- 6/10 Didnt like the characters or story but had some interesting ideas for making your weapons.
Final Fantasy X-8/10 Fun game but though the story wasnt the best and the sphere grid was confusing for too long.
Final Fantasy XI- 5/10 Never liked MMORPG and this didnt change my mind.
Final Fantasy XII- 9/10 Havent finished it yet but im 18 hrs into it and unless it makes a couple major wrong turns this is the best PS2 FF.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my list in order from best to worst without giving numerical ratings:

FF I - Nothing beats the difficulty of using 4 white mages (no wizard upgrades) killing Warmechs. I truely loved this game.
FF VI - Amazing game. The wonderful memories of restarting after 20 hours of gameplay and then missing a rage.
FF IV - Good times. Love the music and overall mood of this game. Pink Tails FTW.
FF VII - Very addicting game. Several classic scenes (i.e. Aerith's death). The beginning of mass mini-games (Gold Saucer).
FF IX - Another fun/addicting game with a somewhat nostalgic feel.
FF X - Newer styled game with a nice plot, although it seemed a bit too linear for me. However, To Zanarkand was an amazing song.
FF III - Enjoying this now on the DS. I still don't completely understand how the job system works (i.e. what exactly is gained from leveling up jobs).
FF V - I really enjoyed this game and wish I had gotten around to playing the Japanese release much earlier than I did.
FF VIII - This game seemed more boring to me. It had its moments and some amazing music (Liberi Fatali, Eyes On Me).
FF II - Decent game but the stat leveling system was flawed (I found myself intentionally taking damage to raise my max HP).
FF X-2 - Never finished this game. Charlie's Angels and FF don't mix, sorry.

I never played FFXI and never will. I've got FFXII sitting here still unplayed, at some point I'll get around to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all you final fantasy freaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2iMqkiHns

My Sig Was Apparently Too Large.
Dynasty99  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered, but no ratings given, since I haven't played enough/dont remember well enough to review most

FF VII - best game in the series for me, best storyline, characters...damn.good.game.
Chrono Trigger - better than everything but FFVII, the best 2D sprite based rpg ever made.
FF IV - very awesome, probably second best imo
FF IX - heard this is very good, from what I've seen, looks good, but I never really played it, FFVIII let me down too hard, I needed a break
FF X -meh
FF X-2 - boooooo
FF I - never played
FF VI - never played
FF III - never played
FF II - never played
FF V - never played
FF VIII - worst in the series for me, it was too romantic (see:boring, I game to have fun, that's why I dont watch passions instead). This is also why it is below one's I haven't even played, because it would be impossible to get worse than this.

FF XII - just started, good sofar, but other games are distracting me, so I'm not reviewing it yet
Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About FFVIII, DarkKnight720 wrote:
Graphics are horrible, the characters looked better on the previous versions
You honestly think the characters on FFVII looked better than the ones on FFVIII?

DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFI N/A - I tried playing this years ago....but I could never pick it up. I guess I should try and do that soon. As innovative as it is (and being the business miracle that it was), it deserves mad props for setting the tone for rpgs.

FFIV 8 - Well, I've only played the cart (easy type), but the difficulty was part of the charm. It was easy to pick up and play. The story was pretty crazy (your village burns down, only to find out that you have to go to the.....moon?) Loveable characters, though. I love the twins.

FFVI 10 - The king of Final Fantasys and has my favorite fanfare. Each character fucking rocked (except for Relm and....that jungle kid. Forgot his name). Special style of play for each character was the focal point of this masterpiece, and the gameplay has been unmatched. A friend said it best: "FFVI is the best FF game....

FFVII 9 - "...but FFVII is the most fun." The mini-games were great, and the character development was pretty good. The Materia system made the game sooo open ended. Shows Uematsu at his finest (One Winged Angle, dude). Really, it was the Materia system that sucked me in to this game. Very fun.

FFVIII 3 - This is buttfuckingly stupid. Magic becomes items? Junction system? Draw? GUNBLADES?! Fuck. This. The Odin/Gelgamesh scene and Zack prevented this game from being a low scoring 1.

FFIX 10 - The crystal system returns (...from FFV?) and it shows how well it can work. Great mini games (loved the chocobo games), fantastic graphics, funny moments and engaging characters. I love how the job classes were made stiff to avoid most skills from bleeding into each other. Vivi fucking rocks.

FFX 9 - The Sphere Grid was a genius idea, and the reworked time battle system added a new element of strategy to each battle. The music and graphics are amazing and the piles of stuff to do kept me happily busy (210 hours in a file). The downside to it was the difficulty being too low and Rikku. Uncomfortable voice acting brought it down a notch, even though this was Square's first, full attempt into the VA world. This game rocks.

FFX-2 -982386423 - I don't have to actually play a game to know it sucks. After watching a friend play this pile of crap, I decided that I was smart to not have bought the game. I'd like to see what happened to Tidus, but I don't care enough to even want to play it. Pure ass, this game is.

FFXI ... - I refuse to acknowledge it's existance.

FFXII N/A - What happened to FFXI? Enix must not know how to count...but from what I've heard and seen on XII, I don't know. It looks good enough that I might want to try it out, but unlocking abilities in the game looks stupid. The Gambit system looks like a ripoff of Kingdom Hearts, but poorly implicated. I hear not so good things about it. I doubt I'll play it.

Proud I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
DarkCalx  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to make a list like everyone else, but then i realized im a horrible person. FF7, tactics, 8, and 10 are the only final fantasy games ive actually beaten. mind you ive played them all (even legends and adventure 1+2 on gb, but those arent actually final fantasy games) a bit (except FF3 for ds, since i dont have one yet), but i always get to some point and stop playing (usually, something else comes out that ive been waiting for) i really need to buckle down and start playing the older games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DarkCalx PSN Name: DarkCalx Wii Friend Code: 7543253894078421
Ensiferous3  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually DMA I highly recommend XII. Sure its not the best and it has the stupid License Board (unlocking abilities) but the whole no random encounters thing is the best thing that could have happened to this series.

Give it a look.

Also that video waas fucking hilarious! When Sephi comes in it goes "DUN DUN DUN HAMBURGER" in the backround! So funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: