ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
PS3 = Fail???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Just out of curiousity, are you a business major Riz?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
...Just out of curiousity, are you a business major Riz?

No, I'm a geek. :P

entropymaxer wrote:
Riz, if you go to yer addendum link and click on XBOX360, you will see that it has sold ~6 million units. And By the way the majority of that came in the recent few months.

Actually, as you can see there, the ~6M number is as of the end of the last quarter, 09/30/06. And you're right, they did sell a pile of them in the 4th quarter. NPD 4th quarter and cumulative sales numbers are expected out next week, but the predictions at this point are that the 360 is now just shy of 10M, which is why I'm using that number.

Other than that, I agree with most of the rest of what you have to say... especially about the extremely bright prospects for the Wii going forward.

Riz.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was all set to type out a nice long reply, then I read this.

Dynasty99 wrote:
ThrashingKittey wrote:

About the Blue Ray and HD-DVDs, there is currently over 100 companies backing Blue Ray compared to the 10 that are backing HD-DVD, Blue Ray has more spave than HD-DVDs.

betamax

/thread.

(By the way, worst system in the world isn't the Gamecube, by far, if you know anything about the history of gaming.)

wuLFe  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have far more games for the Gamecube than any other system.

It had Metroid Prime, which is IMHO the best game of that console generation, and also had some other great titles (Super Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4 *first *). The Gamecube was actually a great little console - I think the only problem for me with the GC was that once the GBA and the DS were released, it seemed that Nintendo and their licensed developers started concentrating more on developing for the handhelds than for the "outdated" Gamecube - for example, they should have done WAAAAAY more with the Wario Ware for the Gamecube, which was actually WORSE than the GBA version.

Anyhow, as far as shitty consoles go:
There was that Nintendo virtual reality thing which gave people migraines, the Nokia N-Gage was also a pretty spectacular failure, as was the Sega Dreamcast. All of these fared significantly worse than the Gamecube did - in fact, since the Dreamcast was the same gen as the Gamecube, it's not even fair to say that the Gamecube was the biggest failure of its generation...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember the Master? Nintendo: the Original Microsoft.

Proud I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
BigE  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too early to tell yet if it's a failure.

MGS will be huge for PS3. Ultimately I think ps3 will end up being fine.

However, I do believe the success of the Wii is phenomenal and it has the best marketing out there...word of mouth. It is impossible to find one b/c people can't shut up about how amazing it is. PS3 has the horrible press right now.

The issue I had w/64 and GameCube were the games. But I think the Wii will be fine b/c of the gameplay and the downloadable content.

All in all, the games will help the ps3 in the long run. Just the price is so insane right now.

so....my whole post was basically what everyone else said.

My Sig Was Apparently Too Large.
Adamallica  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was the only one that liked the Virtual Boy.....it would've been awesome if they made it color....don't know why they didn't....I think some cool games would've come out if it lasted longer....

And HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray really pisses me off.....I have the HD-DVD drive just because it was super cheap for the Xbox360 and it looks amazing on my TV....waaay better than HDTV. BUT, I can't rent all the new movies because half of them are released on Blue-ray. I have a feeling that it's never going to end and that the studios will finally opt for downloadable media....

The studios should have never signed with either Toshiba or Sony (well, besides all the studios that are owned by Sony - the only reason Blue-ray has more) until they agreed on something (which would never happen) or until all the studios got together and agreed on one format.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot who mentioned assassin's creed as one of the reasons to buy a PS3...but its going to be available for 360 as well. atleast, i'm pretty sure.

Quote from Sony's whatshisname Mr Pressdude: "NOES! BUY OURS STUFFS. WE HAS BLEW-REIS!"

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assassin's Creed at E3 was running on an Xbox 360 dev kit. This was confirmed like a week after E3. It is coming out for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, I believe. Ubisoft hasn't been doing many console specific games lately... Except maybe Rainbow Six: Vegas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. awrighty, thanks Huw.

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
supremelord  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to be interesting to see what the future holds for the Wii. Right now, it is super fun because it is new and its different. Does anybody remember when the DS came out? A bunch of critics were saying that once the novelty of having 2 screens wore off, people would get tired of games that were just gimmicks (ie games that only existed to say "look! 2 screens!"). Obviously, the DS has proven to be an extremely popular and just downright good handheld system.

The same criticism can be heard about the Wii, although it is much quieter. Apart from Twilight Princess (which, btw, I am shocked is not getting any Game of the Year attention) it seems that most of the games on the Wii are very gimmicky (ie "OMG! It moves in your hand!"). If developers actually start making really good games for the Wii that fully utilize the motion sensing controller, then I believe the Wii will have long term success. However, if the games become stagnant then I can easily see the Wii starting to get bad press.

The PS3's sucess will be determined almost exclusively by their major franchises (Metal Gear, Final Fantasy). Because Microsoft has been going crazy trying to secure a lot of licenses of the past year, this current generation is going to be marked by a bunch of games that are released simultaneously on 2 or 3 consoles. So the selling point for the consoles, IMO, is going to be the few games that truly are exclusive (not including PC versions). MGS and FF will sell PS3's, that is a given. But Halo 3 will sell 360s and a similar rate. If the game that you MUST have is on both consoles, which are you going to buy? The $600 or the $400 console? The answer seems obvious to me. The PS3 will not die a Dreamcast-style death, but I am struggling to find ways that will give it the Majority market share it has had for years.

Huwonk  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, supremelord you have a great point about the DS/Wii.

The Nintendo DS happens to be my favorite console of all time (although Xbox 360 and Wii are both way up there on the list already.) It had plenty of games that didn't use the touch screen as a total gimmick and plenty of gimmicky games that were still incredibly fun.

It is very important for the Wii to maintain this balance as well. Too many "point and click" games will get boring, but implementing some of the more unique features of the controller (such as actual motion detection independent of the sensor bar) will become very important. Metal Slug Anthology made great use of the Wiimote. Then again so did Elebits (which relies completely on a point/click/drag interface.) I think we'll see similar things with the Wii that we saw with the DS. Innovation, gimmicks and genuinely "good" games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huwonk wrote:
The Nintendo DS happens to be my favorite console of all time

You mean system. :P

Huwonk  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still a console. It's just a handheld console.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned assasin's creed for PS3. I read a feature on it in Game Informer, and from waht i read/saw it seems like they were trying to do some really extreme with the graphics that PS3 would outshine XBOX360 on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: