Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SG Controller Modifications
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgendreau  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: SG Controller Modifications Reply with quote

What mods have some of you done to your SG controller, Cosmetic or otherwise?

Mine are all technical so far...

Quiet mods:
I felt that my SG was too noisy, so I set out to remedy that.
I like to use electrical tape for these because its thick and pads well.

I quieted the strum bar by oiling the hinge. I also removed the clickers from inside the strum switches. I wont post the details of that until I have photos to show. Its tricky. I also shortened the plastic piece that the strum board mounts on by about 1/8" to tighten the strum action.

To reduce the fret button chattering, I put a thin layer petroleum jelly around the sides of the colored button caps where they slide in the fret holes. Finally, I put a layer of electrical tape across the backs of the plastic fret buttons. You have to cut a slot in the tape between the buttons, but not all the way to either edge of the tape. Leave 1/8" attached at either edge. If the slots are too small, the tape is too tight and you may get false actuations of adjacent buttons or buttons between chords while it wears in. They should feel a little more springy and sound a lot quieter.

Wireless Mod:

I have done this twice now. I bought a $15 mini wireless controller and retrofitted it into my SG. I hid a low profile power switch on the back of the neck closest to the body of the guitar. I still havent come up with a battery solution yet, so I have to open the case to recharge the NiMH AAs every 2-3 weeks.

The cool thing is without wires, I can now do shoulder throws and it even activates star power! Heh!

I'll try to put up some photos when I get time.

-Dan G.
Genga  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SG Controller Modifications Reply with quote

dgendreau wrote:
The cool thing is without wires, I can now do shoulder throws and it even activates star power! Heh!

Ha ha! awesome!

the only thing I done was oil the strum bar as it squeaked
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, i can do shoulder throws without it even being wireless....it's a little risky, but it's still sweet. i've also done a spin while doing a shoulder throw....it's hard to get right, but it's still fun.
Psychohostile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to take out the clickers, as it wakes my girlfriend up all night, but i don't know much about about circut boards. please put the pics up and explain. all i've done so far was oil the whammy bar, as it squeeked.....a lot.
eachann  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I'd like to do is make a controller that is the size of an actual guitar instead of the 2/3 size guitar that comes with the game. I don't really know how to do it though... for now just keeping my eyes open for a toy guitar or something when I happen to be out shopping for whatever... not sure how else to get materials for such a mod.

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've done (since I'm too scared of breaking the controller) is to create a (lame) anti-restrum mod. I had too many accidents with strumming, letting go, and letting the strum bar activate on its way back. Basically, I just added pieces of paper folded 3 or 4 times to both sides of the strum bar, in the cracks between the bar and the rest of the guitar. It worked, but required more effort to strum, and it became hell with songs like The Breaking Wheel. I don't use it now, but it may help others.
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
dude, i can do shoulder throws without it even being wireless....it's a little risky, but it's still sweet. i've also done a spin while doing a shoulder throw....it's hard to get right, but it's still fun.

you act like its the easiest thing, you have the risk of it wrapping around you and then you fricking up the song. He doesn't, and you don't have to worry about it happening which makes it even easier to execute
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutendoji wrote:
Fly1ngV wrote:

you act like its the easiest thing, you have the risk of it wrapping around you and then you fricking up the song. He doesn't, and you don't have to worry about it happening which makes it even easier to execute

ooooooOOOOOOOOooooooo....

Post 200. That gold sure looks purty.

And yeah, I don't know how you'd be able to do that without it being wireless.. I'd get caught up in the cord and fall shortly after.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tried it

I stand over the wire so the wire trails behind me, and I flip it down and round so it ends up over my shoulder, the wires back in front and i carry on rockin
DarkCalx  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im suprised i havent seen anyone (somehow) attach the SG to a belt buckle for some ZZ Top spining action. that would tottaly rock
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DarkCalx PSN Name: DarkCalx Wii Friend Code: 7543253894078421
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA I've seen ZZ Top live...and they did that XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
monoxidehektik  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkCalx wrote:
im suprised i havent seen anyone (somehow) attach the SG to a belt buckle for some ZZ Top spining action. that would tottaly rock

i LOLed at this
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...theoretically, it wouldn't be too hard to do. Well, if you don't mind having that belt permanently having the controller attached to it.

Just kinda melt the plastic over it. Either that, or you could cut two slits in the back of the controller and just weave the belt through.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do that, or do what the one guy did in another thread, where he put the strap attachment on the back of the guitar, and then just cut or stretch a weaved belt. Then you just need to pop it over the strap holder, and it should stay.
I already tried to attach the guitar to a belt in a similar way, but I didn't move the strap holder, and you can't spin it ZZ Top style.
I took a belt and ran it through the belt loops of a pair of pants, but did not complete the attachment (it's not tightened). So I have the metal part of the belt on my left side of my fly, and the other end dangling down on the right side. (if the naked end is too long, run it back through the last loop a 2nd time if possible) The metal part was the right size to snap over the strap attachment near the neck of the SG, and it holds tight. I then took the other end of the belt, and used some scissor action to cut a hole to pop around the other strap attachment.
It worked fairly well, but my pants practically fell down because the belt wasn't fastened, and the guitar was pulling them down.
jbird78  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It felt a little short to me, probably because I'm 6'2" 240, so I added about a six inch length of towel with packing tape. My wife thinks that I'm a total loser.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: