ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Get-together in Austin, Tx: June 28, 2008!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Get-together in Austin, Tx: June 28, 2008! Reply with quote

OFFICIAL DATE: JUNE 28

Paul's got the house and the date has been confirmed now it's just figuring out arrangements like carpooling, sleeping, food, tvs, etc.

***Since we have an official date, now is the time to let us know if you can come. if you need a ride, request it. if you can give rides to people, request it. it is assumed that the people you would be driving would chip in for gas.***

once we figure out who all is coming and travel arrangements, we can specify sleeping arrangements and food/beverage arrangements.

UTofPojo and I were talking about the possibility of a get together somewhere, and I just wanted to throw this out there to see who all might come. No date has been specified, it might be some weekend, maybe during someone's spring break, we don't know. If anyone has suggestions or anything that might help that'd be great too.

this looks like the best suggestion so far, at least to me:

PaulAtreides wrote:

We'll be moving into a house at the beginning/middle of May, probably in the North Austin area. Again, people will be more than welcome to come for a day of Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Halo 3/Call of Duty 4/grilling/etc. SO, the point being that 15-20 people will not be out of the question, but since we haven't picked a house yet, I can't confirm. Once we do, I'll post up sq. footage etc. and get opinions.

However, there might need to be a couple of TV's brought. I have a 61" DLP (almost no lag), a 32" standard definition, and a 19" TV/VCR combo. So, 1 or 2 more tv's would probably need to be brought so most people could be getting play time. I wouldn't require any $$$, but people should probably bring some food, snacks, drinks, etc. I'll provide some as well.

So, in summary, I would say that likely 15-20 could be hosted at whatever house we'll be in. Everyone's welcome. TV's will likely have to be brought, and some money spent on food. More details to follow when I have them.

Questions: 1. is 15-20 enough room to include everyone? 2. Would this sound appealing to folks? 3. Would bringing TV's be a problem? 4. This would absolutely have to be a weekend day, and it could NOT be the weekend of June 9 (wedding anniversary). Any problems there? 5. We have two cats. Anyone allergic to cats? 6. What is the cost trade-off for some of the places Deschain has found ($50 sounds pretty good for that setup) versus what would have to be spent on food for a party at my place and bringing extra TV's? 7. How many would have to stay the night, if any? Folks would be welcome to, but trying to get 15-20 to SLEEP in a 3 bedroom house would be pretty crowded.

Please comment. Thanks to Deschain for doing lots of research. I'm really looking forward to this.

EDIT:

it looks like we have quite a few people from the dfw area interested in going, myself included. this being the case, i think it would be best for us to do one of two things:

A. find a few people to drive all of us down there who would drive back so that we wouldn't need a place to crash.

B. throw down for a motel room or two. it'd be a lot cheaper this way, and i personally wouldn't mind sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor or something. i think it'd be best for those carpooling together to sleep in the same room, since it'd make it much less confusing getting everyone together when we're leaving.

or combinations...of course if we end up having enough room to crash in Austin, this shouldn't be an issue.

if necessary i guess i *could* drive, but i really really don't want to since it's my parent's vehicle :\.

on that note, i think we should start compiling a list of people who:

A. would be willing to drive other people
B. what city/area they live in
C. how many people they could give a ride to
D. if they could/would drive back that night

once we get a good idea of how many people are from out of town and will need a place to stay, it'll make it a lot easier to figure out the whole sleeping arrangement thing.

i'm too lazy to look through the 6/7 pages already to find the scarce posts of who can drive, especially when all this information probably isn't readily available. so if you are willing to give rides to people, please submit a new post with the information requested. i'll occasionally check pages 7+ and update the OP with new information. ***since the date of the event is tentative, if you do not know if you will be able to, please wait until we work out the details. but if you will be able to regardless, then post whenever you want***.

also, once we confirm the date/place/arrangements/etc and get a list together of people who will drive, then we can start getting a list together of people who will need rides.

does this sound good to everyone?

PaulAtreides wrote:

To f4phantom: Please post the following in the first post since it seems this will be happening at my place.

/begin
I hope that you will find my wife and I to be very warm and friendly folks. We are looking forward to having everyone over for what looks like will be a great time. But, I want to set out a few rules ahead of time to be clear (and just to get the unpleasant stuff out of the way now).

1. Everyone is welcome, regardless of skill, age, sex, race, religion... you get the idea.

2. Under NO circumstances is anyone to smoke in the house. There is a very large back yard and for those who wish to smoke, we will provide ash trays out back. I will not be nice about this if someone does this.

3. ABSOLUTELY NO illegal drugs on our premises. I don't care what you do at your own home on your own time. If you bring that stuff to my home, you will be asked to leave immediately. I'm not kidding and this is not negotiable at any time. I don't mean to be an asshole, but I feel very strongly about this.

4. I do not know the age distribution of those attending, so for now, I will say no alcohol. If like 80% of the crowd is over 21, and people are really want it, then we can discuss it. I love a good beer, but I don't want problems with serving to minors nor do I want people to be unable to attend because someone's parents are concerned about alcohol being served. Besides, I'm already going to get my butt kicked by all you guys at GH, I don't need anything to make it worse! Again, this is negotiable depending on the age group, etc.

5. Be nice. Everyone's there to have a good time, no need to be a jerk to anyone. Many will be strangers to each other (ALL of you will be strangers to me), so let's all try to be friends and not be douche-bags to one another. (Wow, the spell checker actually fixed my typo on douche-bag... lol).

6. I want to reiterate we have two cats. They are very friendly and loving. Please let us know if you are allergic and we will do our best to sanitize and keep the cats away (although they'll probably hide with that many people coming). If you don't like cats, we'll do our best to keep them out of the way, but treat them with respect.

7. With this many people, please try your best to carpool. The houses are pretty packed in in this neighborhood and parking could become an issue if 10-12 cars show up. But, in the end, whatever works. I'd be willing to pick up a few folks who live in the North Austin area that are having trouble getting rides.

Most folks on Scorehero seem pretty cool, so I don't think there will be any problems. Also, let's start compiling the list of folks and decide on the mode of communication. In particular, does everyone have an email address? I would prefer not to post my phone number and address on the forum and creating a group email is easier than having to keep track of PM lists. I also respond to email much faster. I'm willing to take care of this.

For those under 18, I'm more than willing to send a letter to parents to help quell any concerns and to introduce myself etc. Let me know via PM if this is necessary or helpful (once we set a date).
/end

Speaking of date... when ARE we going to this? It seems to be narrowed down to summer time. It needs to be after May 17 (graduation day.. lots of family) and NOT on June 9. At this point, every other weekend is open for me. Let's start pinning down a specific date. I'd prefer a Saturday, but Sat. or Sun. would be fine. It can't be M-F because both my wife and I have to work and, while I do love Scorehero and GH, I'm not using a vacation day for this. Sorry!

If I missed anything, there are any questions, whatever, just let me know. Again, I'm looking forward to this and it promises to be a good time.

I decided to go ahead and post the rest of his post since it seems like pertinent information to me. We do need to set a date, and I think that's what we should be focusing no now, since it seems pretty much positive that we will be doing this at PaulAtreides's place.

***LIST OUT OF DATE***
Confirmed Attendees:
Deschain
freakinalex
11yearoldkid
Confury
f4phantom2500
Mendiana
PaulAtreides
JW2
rhinojosa
blob
GuitarHailz
Shikka
NumberCruncher
OldJoc92
Duce1621
alcoheed
BrianBAM19
atruebassist
thestupidlowlife
dragoonkain
Evermar
Spynal

Potential Attendees
jimmythekid
UTofPojo
dantheman4525
ffffaaaacccckkkk (and friends?)
shatter
gob126
The-Jack
someguy913
klye
BulkySam

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647

Last edited by f4phantom2500 on Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 am; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Evermar  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im only an hour away from austin (san antonio ftw) so id go for sure^^

hell, even if it was in Dallas id go for sure lol

in short: I'd go for sure, count me in^^
Newest Videos:
Your Face 100% FC Expert Guitar
Sacrifice 100% Expert Guitar
Jimi 100% FC Expert Guitar

How many 1sts Fug has taken from me: 9
jimmythekid  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id consider it, but it would depend on how active my weekend was.
UTofPojo  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmythekid wrote:
id consider it, but it would depend on how active my weekend was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes I'll be there, whenever it is.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
dantheman4525  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id definately go if it was in Austin.....if it was in Dallas....not so much.
Mendiana  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Houston, but I'd go if I could get a ride. Can't drive because of stupid parents...
PaulAtreides  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Austin, so definitely if it was in Austin (and if mediocre expert players are welcome).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could *possibly* go if it was in Austin, I have a cousin there, and I could pretty much definetly go if it was in San Antonio (AS LONG AS IT WAS CONFIRMED TO BE for over a break) Here in New Hampshire I have a February break and April break not spring break.
Deschain  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been thinking, and it looks like those who have been more vocal about going to a get-together are closer to Austin than Dallas. San Antonio, Houston, Galveston, those are around the same distance to Austin as Dallas/Plano/etc. I'm wondering who in Austin has the capability of housing that many people for a get-together, and I know it sure as hell isn't me.

However, I was thinking if we got enough people signed up and willing, I was hoping we could rent out a screen at an Alamo Drafthouse (movie tavern) for the day and hook up a 360 on the screen. I plan on doing this for my roommate's birthday and have been meaning to call up for a price, but I'm definitely gonna ask if we can play games/get food at the same time. Enough people come, guaranteed it's gonna be cheap with plenty of room to see the excellent theater system rock out. What say you guys?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
Evermar  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like way too much fun O.o

If it is possible for me to be more interested in going now than it already was.....im more interested in going now than I was before lol
Newest Videos:
Your Face 100% FC Expert Guitar
Sacrifice 100% Expert Guitar
Jimi 100% FC Expert Guitar

How many 1sts Fug has taken from me: 9
PaulAtreides  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit - I was excited about just getting together (for the record, my apartment could fit ~10 people reasonably comfortably... don't know the number that's being thrown around right now, but any more than that would be too crowded and I'm sure my wife would be fine with it, although she would remind me of what a dork I am... ).

BUT, the DRAFTHOUSE would be fucking incredible. There are several in Austin, be sure to call to several, although, IMHO, the one on S. Lamar is the best - plenty of parking and by far the most comfortable.

At any rate, if the Drafthouse doesn't work out, I'd be very happy to host (my setup is 61" Samsung HLT-6187, 5.1 surround (well, 5.0... the sub is too much for the neighbors in the apartment), xbox 360, PS3, wii, PS2).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deschain that sounds awesome if this happens i will be there and i will bring some friends so hope more people want to do this

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Houston, but I'm going to school in Huntsville, so depending on where/when it is and if I could find a friend to stay with, it might work out for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deschain call up and see if you can get a quote; i might pitch in depending on the price.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: