ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Any way to make your PS2 not recognise the GH controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterL  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Any way to make your PS2 not recognise the GH controller? Reply with quote

I had the crazy idea to make a Chapman stick controller today.

Now what i was thinking was taking the assemblys out of 2 GH controllers so i could play both guitar and bass at the same time. My question is, is it possible to make your PS2 thenk the GH controller is a regular one so you dont have to strum?
Fray  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man... that be nuts to see. if you get good at it and you can post a video, i would love to have you in my youtube group. http://youtube.com/groups_videos?name=customguitarhero

get good
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy way to get the PS2 to not recognize the SG? How about not plugging it in?

Kidding aside, since you plan on taking it all apart, why not take the innards of a standard dual shock and use those inside the guitar? Wire the frets up to the correct buttons. I don't know if that'll work, maybe someone with better electrical knowledge can answer.
MisterL  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have much experrince with the innards of a dual shock but it couldnt be too complicated.

I was also thinking of taking apart the clicker assembly and mounting it so that whenever you press a fret button it reads it as a strum, that seems like the simplest solution.
Riz  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is someone here who may be able to help you with this. I will see that he gets pointed to this topic and he can get in touch.

Riz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to find out how to stop the guitar sending the left d=pad signal, as this is hard wired on at all times to let the ps2 recognise the peripheral as a guitar controller. without this, i think the guitar would be recognised as a dual shock, and so possibly operate without having to strum.

an alternative is to wire the fret buttons to the strum bar, so it acts as if pressing a fret button is the same as pressing both the fret button an the strum bar, but i don't know how to do any of these suggestions; they are just hypothetical
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me get this straight, you just want to tap it?

Easy, easy mod. Just buy yourself a cheap 3rd party ps2 controller and solder the buttons accordingly. L1 green, L2 red, R2 Yellow, R1 blue, X is orange.

Its an easy mod to do, and you can even use the existing board for it. See the main fret board with the 6 solder points on the end? that's all you need. How a controller works is this. When you press down said button, it connects the button to ground, and the controller processes it and sends it to the screen. So, one solder point is ground, solder that to ground. Then find the traces on the controller's buttons that go to ground, and don't use those. Then, just use the other contacts, that is what you will solder to green, red, etc.

Easy mod. If you need more help, feel free to contact me.

Wait, there's an easier way...

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3669

I forget which point he soldered together for the switch... but you just have to solder a couple connections together and you can do that. I forgot about phr34k's mod...

Last edited by Squirrel on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Hoyoooo
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:

No, he wants to be able to be 1st and 2nd player so he can play both parts at the same time.

I suggest combining the mechanics of two guitars into one custom shell with a wide neck with two sets of buttons, two strum bars (just for navigation through the game), and with two chords to plug into slot 1 and 2. Then mod the guitar with a tapping modification like many have done before. It sounds very possible.

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskeyface wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

No, he wants to be able to be 1st and 2nd player so he can play both parts at the same time.

I suggest combining the mechanics of two guitars into one custom shell with a wide neck with two sets of buttons, two strum bars (just for navigation through the game), and with two chords to plug into slot 1 and 2. Then mod the guitar with a tapping modification like many have done before. It sounds very possible.

You can do this. Install the strummers but do phr34k's mod, and instead of a push button, use a switch. Select which characters you want, when the song is loading, flip the switch, and tap away.
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound pretty cool. If I have the money and spare time, I'd definitely do this. It could look like this, except with maybe two whammy bars, although it might be difficult to use them both.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: