ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official Controller Compatibility Guide - Now with Wiki
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: The Official Controller Compatibility Guide - Now with Wiki Reply with quote

This guide is here to help people with the common question, "Does X controller work with X Guitar on X platform?" Due to A LOT of nearly identical threads asking compatibility questions, I've decided to compile all of the info currently on the boards into one master-post. This is not based on my own research, this is from threads other people have written. I don't have Guitar Hero III for PC, so I can't even test the theories in this thread, so I will need quite a bit of help from the community to make sure that this guide stays accurate and up to date. Anyone who has info on third party guitar compatibility or notices a mistake is encouraged to add their two cents. It is possible that there may be an error in here, although by now I think I've hashed most of them out, but if you do see an inaccuracy, please feel free to chime in. So, without further ado:

The Official Controller Compatability Guide
-------------------------------------------------

NEW!!!
All of the information contained within this guide has been updated and reorganized into an incredibly helpful wiki page. Now if you have something to add or see something that isn't right, you can add it yourself.

http://wiki.scorehero.com/ControllerCompatibility

Now that most of my time is spent in the wiki, and because it makes much more sense to use the wiki for this info, I will no longer be updating this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I'll leave it up to the moderators, whether they want to leave it stickied or not.

-------------------------------------------------
Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2 info

Both Microsoft and Sony have announced that GHWT and RB2 controllers will be cross compatible. We can assume that this also means that RB1 controllers will be usable on GHWT, and GH controllers will be usable on RB2. Also, I believe that all GH and RB controllers will be usable on Kanomi's Rock Revolution, but I'm not sure if their set will be GH/RB compatible. As soon as we have more info on these periferals, I'll add them to the guide.
Official 360 announcement
Official PS3 Announcement
Note: the Sony announcement specifically addresses PS3 customers. It does NOT mention PS2 at all. For PS2, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
--------------------------

I'm trying to get every single uncertainty involving controller compatibility resolved. In an attempt to address some questions that have been on here since I first created this guide, I've added a Green Font. If you see something in the ambiguous green font that you can either confirm or deny, or provide a helpful link, please do.

Playstation 2
---------------

Original Black SG: GH1 Bundle - Works on GH1, GH2, GH80s, but not GH3. Later editions of the GH1 bundle include the 2nd Gen Black SG, see below.
2nd gen Black SG - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band. This SG is actually identical to the Red SG, as are all other SGs, regardless of color.
Red SG: GH2 Bundle - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band.
Kramer: GH3 Bundle - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band. Stand alone also available.
RO Wireless - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band
Nyko Frontman - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band
Rock II Gultar - No, that's not a typo. Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band
TAC Flying V - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band. This model also works on PS3 without an adapter.
React Series - These guitars are so bad, that they are hardly compatible with PS2 GH games. If you have any self respect, you should refuse to even consider using one for Guitar Hero on any platform, much less making a platform jump. If you have one of these, destroy it immediately!
Rock Band Stratocaster: Rock Band Bundle - Works on Rock Band and GH:A, but not GH1, GH2, GH80s, or GH3. Also works on PS3 Rock Band. If you already have Rock Band for PS2, and want to upgrade to PS3, you don't need to buy the instruments pack. You can buy the game only and use your PS2 instruments. Stand alone also available.
Mymybox Rockstar Elite - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band.
Widowmaker Bass - The first Bass guitar shaped controller. Works with all PS2 GH games and Rock Band.

If you have another third party guitar, or have one in mind that you would like to know compatibility specs for, post it and I will add it.

Most of the third party guitars have multiple editions. The older editions are out of print and may not be compatible with GH2, GH80s, GH3, or Rockband. If you have one of these older editions, it probably doesn't work anymore anyways, so I'm not going over the entire backlog of third party guitars.

In order to play PS2 GH games on the PS3, you must have a PS2 controller and an appropriate adapter. This is the only one that I know of that is currently available and in stock. This adapter reportedly only works for GH1 and GH3, and even those games have some issues with whammy and Star Power.
NEW!!!Evster found a new adapter on ebay that works with GH2 and GH80s. The only issue with it is that the whammy bar does not work at all, but the games are playable. Thank you Evster, may your mighty whammy bar never go limp!

You cannot play PS2 games on a PS3 with a PS3 controller.
You cannot use PS2 controllers to play PS3 games.
You can use PS2 controllers to play PC GH games. See PC section for details.

PS2 guitars can be used on XBox 360 using This adaptor It's pretty expensive ($89.99), but some one might think it's worth it.

Playstation 3
---------------

NEW!!! - A patch has been released on PSN that allows complete GH/RB cross compatibility, essentially making this part of the guide useless. Oh well, I'll leave it here for posterity.

Gibson Les Paul: GH3 Bundle - Will only work for GH games on PS3. Stand alone version now available.
Rock Band Stratocaster: Rock Band Bundle - Works with Rock Band, but not GH games. Rock Band instruments can also be used with PS2 Rock Band, but not PS2 GH games. Stand alone version also available.
Nyko Frontman - Works with PS3 GH games and Rock Band PS3. If you are looking for a second guitar for Rock Band on PS3, this is the one you want.
EZJam Guitar - Works with PS3 GH games, not Rock Band.
Widowmaker Bass - The first Bass guitar shaped controller. This model is advertised to work on PS2 and PS3, but some users report that you need an adapter. Rock Band compatibility is unknown. Coming soon.
TAC Flying V - Works on Guitar Hero games and Rock Band. This model is also compatible with PS2 games without an adapter.

You cannot use a PS3 controller on PS2 GH games, even if you are playing them on the PS3 system.
PS3 Guitars can be used on PC GH games. See below.

Xbox 360
---------------

Explorer: GH2 Bundle- Will work for all Xbox 360 GH games and Rock Band. Also will work for PC GH3. Stand alone available.
Les Paul: GH3 Bundle - Will work for all Xbox 360 GH games and Rock Band. Also will work for PC GH3. Stand alone available.
Rock Band Stratocaster -Works for 360 RB and GH:A. Does not work for GH2 or GH3. Also will work for PC GH3. Stand alone also available.

Xbox 360 Guitars can be used with PC GH games.

Nintendo Wii
---------------

Gibson Les Paul: GH3 Bundle - Can only be used with Wii GH games.
Nyko Telecaster - Can only be used with Wii GH games.
Rock Band Stratocaster - Can only be used with Wii Rock Band.

Wii Guitars can be used with PC GH games. See below.

PC / Mac - This is where the most difficulty seems to come from
---------------

PC Explorer: GH3 Bundle - This is the same exact controller as the Xbox 360 Explorer, so it is also compatable with Xbox 360 GH games and Rock band.

PS2 GH guitars - These will take a PS2 to USB adapter, and even with, may have some issues with HOPOs whammys and SP. Here's some adapters:
This is a PS2 to USB converter. With it you can assign keyboard buttons to your guitar controller. Although I understand that there are some problems with the whammy bar.
This is another PS2 to USB adapter made by Red Octane for Guitar Hero (presumably). It is reported to work perfectly, but seems to be out of print now. Try finding one on ebay.
Glovepie - This is a key mapping program that supports whammy bar as an X mouse axis.
This is a link to download Joy2Key, one of the most popular peices of key mapping software
This is a walkthrough on how to play GH3 PC with a GH2 controller. It also includes alot of troubleshooting techniques to get all of your controller features working.
This piece of helpful advise came from freegaz:
freegaz wrote:
With the Kramer you just have to hold Start + Select + Strum Down and it will map the Strum Bar to the DPAD, thus you can use the whammy to play the game easily.

Thank you Freegaz. May your life be long and your strumming arm grow thick!
This tutorial
by TheMagician, goes through using A PS2 controller on PC. Thank you, TheMagician! May your magic tricks never go stale!

PS2/PS3 Rock Band Stratocaster - Can work with Joy2Key and Glovepie. See links above to download.
Here is a tutorial on what to do with these programs once you've downloaded them. This was submitted by kdb424, to whom I am eternally greatful. Good job kdb424! May you rock eternally!
This is another tutorial on how to get your RB Strat working on a Mac. Thank you FlorisJan! May your first child be a masculine child!

Xbox360 controllers - Need a USB adapter, but should work perfectly.
Some users report that downloading the v. 1.3 patch disables the Explorer guitar controller. There is not currently a fix for this issue.
This is the Microsoft USB wireless receiver on Amazon.
In case you do have trouble with your 360 controller, here's where you can download software updates for Windows.
This is a linkwhere you can download Xbox controller drivers for Windows 98/XP/ME/2000. If you are using a standard Xbox controller, you should use this program.

PS3 controllers - The PS3 USB dongle is compatible with windows. Any wireless controller you use with it should automatically install itself when you plug it in. Here is a thread on another forum detailing this process. However the EZGear Explorer is not wireless, so it may not work with GH3 PC. Wireless PS3 guitars should be full compatible with GH3 PC.
If your PC has a bluetooth receiver, you can also connect your Les Paul using bluetooth. No dongle necessary! This is BlueSoleil, a bluetooth driver/organizational software. Use it to connect your Bluetooth guitar.

Wii controllers - You must have Glovepie, which you can download above. Your PC must also be equipped with a bluetooth receiver. Here is a diagram with Glovepie specifications for the Wii guitar
This is a tutorial on how to use your Wii guitar with your PC to play Frets on Fire. My assumption is that if it works for FoF, it will work for GH.

General Troubleshooting
If you are expiriencing Whammy bar problems on any controller, and you can't figure out how to fix it using the tutorials above, Here is a script that will fix it for you. However this script will work as an autowhammy, so your scores will not be considered legit.
Here's some more info about the whammy bar with a couple options for a possible fix.

If you are still expiriencing problems, Thomeval had this helpfulness to add:
thomeval wrote:

If you are having these problems:
- Windows correctly detects the guitar, and it registers properly in the test screen.
- No problem using the Guitar with other software.
- When in Guitar Hero, the guitar works fine for navigating the menus.
- When playing a song, unusual behavior from the guitar controller (in my case the blue and green frets were permanently pressed, and if recall correctly, pressing the orange fret caused a strum and the red fret to register simultaneously)

And you have already:
- Installed the official Xbox 360 controller drivers before installing the game.
- Used any Xbox 360 controller before installing the game.

Basically, the problem I had was that I had Xbox 360 drivers installed before installing Guitar Hero. . . These drivers conflict with the ones GH III installs when you install the game.

To fix it, you need to:

1) Uninstall the game.
2) Remove the drivers (manually - there is no obvious uninstaller and the one hidden in ?:\[Your Windows Directory]\$NtUninstall_Xbox_360_CC_Driver$ doesn't work.
3) Reinstall the game.

Fortunately, this procedure does not break guitar compatibility with other programs (FoF and DTXmania both work fine for me).
Thank you thomeval, may you conquer your enemies with a closed fist!

Once you have installed your controller, and windows confirms that it is working, load GH3. When the intro vids come up, YOU MUST USE YOUR GUITAR CONTROLLER TO SKIP THEM. PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON. If you use the keyboard to skip the vids, the game uses the keyboard as your default controller. If this happens, you must reset the program.[/b]

Multiplayer

Tested mutliplayer combinations that work:
Player 1: Xplorer - either Xbox or PC models. Player 2: Xplorer - either Xbox or PC models.
Player 1: Xplorer- either Xbox or PC models. Player 2: Any other guitar controller formated as Keyboard using Joy2Key.
As of now, at least one player must use the Xplorer, either Xbox or PC models.

If anyone has had success with multiplayer on PC with any other combinations, please post what controllers you are using, how they are configured etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
History
2/18/08 - Started guide. Looked up every controller compatibility issue since 1/31/08. Compiled info into one thread.
2/20/08 - Cleaned up the URLs and added some info from the posts below.
2/21/08 - Added Wii PC compatibility, and disambiguity about old editions of PS2 guitars.
3/1/08 - Changed the PS2 to PS3 adapter from the sold out pelican model to another model on Amazon.com.
3/4/08 - Updated URLs of PS3 and Wii LPs. The link now takes you to the controller alone on RO's website rather than the bundle.
3/6/08 - Added the note about using GH controller to skip vids. Also rewrote the intro.
3/10/08 - Added a link to XBCD drivers.
3/17/08 - Added TheMagician's tutorial that I saw in General Discussion forum.
4/10/08 - Added Widowmaker Bass and Freedom Flying V to PS2 and PS3 sections. Added PS2>PS3 adapter. Added RB strat on Mac tutorial.
4/15/08 - Added PC whammy script.
4/16/08 - Added Driver removal fix from thomeval
4/17/08 - General clean up.
4/28/08 - Added green font for ambiguous sections so we can get those cleaned up.
5/3/08 - Added successful multiplayer combinations.
6/20/08 - Added info on GH:A, general clean up.
8/5/08 - Added disclaimer about the GH3 PC v. 1.3 patch.
8/13/08 - Added Evster's PS2>PS3 adapter.
9/12/08 - Added short on GHWT/RB2 info. More detail to come.

Please help me keep this guide accurate and up to date by supplying additional information and correcting any mistakes that you may see, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem.

Last edited by IWillKickU on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:00 pm; edited 57 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. I think once we are able to confirm all of these and flush out some of the question marks, this is definitely worth a sticky. Until that day, I've added it to the top of the Guitar Modding 101 thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Again, if anyone can confirm any of the questionmark sections, please, help me out.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
wumpus  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent guide. Note that the wireless Xbox 360 Les Paul can be used on the PC as well, with the Microsoft USB wireless Xbox controller adapter for PC.. it's about $18 on Amazon.
kdb424  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii and the PS3 controllers can be used on the PC, along with all rock band with methods similar to using the ps2 guitar on the PC.
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdb424 wrote:
Wii and the PS3 controllers can be used on the PC, along with all rock band with methods similar to using the ps2 guitar on the PC.

I did some searching and came up with bubcus for a PS3 or Wii adapter, but it doesn't even make sense that the Wii would be compatible, because the Wii-mote doesn't even plug in to the console anywhere. How would this be possible? If you know where you can get a PS3 or Wii adapter, please post a link.

Also, I fixed the spelling of compatability to compatibility.
glacier985  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PS3 adapter should be need for the PC, the USB dongle should plug it and work Just fine. Same with the Sixaxis (all though with a mini USB cord instead), windows even recognizes it as a PS3 controller. Now I haven't tried the guitars, but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Something on the 'Frontman' For PS3

Quote:
The squabbling between Activision and Harmonix over the compatibility of Guitar Hero III guitars with Rock Band has been a serious thorn in the side of rocking PS3 owners. There's are few ways to get an extra guitar for four-player Rock Band, and Activision has been firm in its stance that until the money starts to flow, there will be no compatibility. However, it looks like the company's decision may have prompted others to act: Nyko has announced its own third-party PS3 guitar that is compatible with both games.

Nyko's guitar appears to be roughly based on the Xbox 360 Xplorer, and though it doesn't feature the solo buttons from the Rock Band Fender, it still looks to be a serviceable device. From the feature list:

* Compatible with Guitar Hero III and Rock Band
* Up to 80 hours of continuous play time from three AA batteries
* Wireless technology for cordless gaming up to 25 ft. away
* Built-in tilt sensor & responsive whammy bar
* Bi-directional strum bar
* Responsive and durable fret buttons
* Interchangeable pick guard for custom look
* Unique directional pad design for convenient menu navigation
* Effects switch for Rock Band play

Here is the linkhttp://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/01/09/nyko-releases-ps3-guitar-for-rock-band-guitar-hero-iii

Sounds kick ass. I want interchangeable pick gaurds
100 Expert Drum FCs [92]
200 Guitar FCs [176]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: VOD T3ABG1N
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, bdMoron, and thanks for the info (that sounds insulting ). Added.

Thanks for the info, Glacier, I don't have a PS3, and havn't even gotten the chance to play one other than the displays at Target and Gamestop, so I didn't know that the dongle was Windows compatible. I'll add that in. And all you PS3/PC users, have fun playing with your dongle .
rude95841  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Contoller Compatibility Guide Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
Original Black SG: GH1 Bundle - Works on GH1, GH2, GH80s, but not GH3.<------ not true i use my black sg to play G3 all the time.
Red SG: GH2 Bundle - Works on all PS2 GH games and Rock Band.

just thought i'd go ahead and point this out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
acidburn  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY Les Paul wont work for the pc version. windows sees the guitar and installs it but the game does see it. any idea?
kdb424  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ps2 has the adapter, the the Wii is bluetooth, lol. Look at the bottom of this page. http://www.wiili.org/index.php/GlovePIE
jml  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by jml on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
stereth  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Contoller Compatibility Guide Reply with quote

rude95841 wrote:
<------ not true i use my black sg to play G3 all the time.

Same here, but I might have a second-gen SG. Bought it in the GH1 bundle a month or two before GH2 came out. I think the original ones had a bulky two-piece tilt sensor inside, while the second-gen ones use a tiny black box on the circuit board.
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii guitars CAN be used with GH3 PC. Granted, I have no personal experience, but they aren't uncommon in the Frets on Fire community. You need GlovePie and a blue tooth receiver.
http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=16189
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: