ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Low-tech no-solder hardwire for Les Paul frets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TehGreenLlama wrote:
IWillKickU wrote:
You can use either of those. Any copper wire will do.

EDIT: It works now,i wired it backwards

Does it have to be copper wire? i did this today but i didnt use the wire i bought only because i had enough slack to connect them to each other. but im also having a big problem with it.

I numbered the wires (which is a great thing to do) connected them to the same wire from the body.

My green, red and orange work find but my blue and yellow are way messed up.

Yellow = blue and blue = yellow i tried to switch those wires but the problem persists. and there is another problem to that problem, the yellow and blue only work if red is held down.

Should i just add the copper wire to the correct spots, and is not using that wire my problem?

Also i am using the aerosmith les paul, is there any difference in the wiring with those? i notice that the 8 wire strip on my guitar has a purple strand on the 8th one.

Somebody please help me.

You made a common mistake. You just wired them backwards. Just reverse the order of all 8 wires and it'll be fine. Again, reverse ALL EIGHT! Even the ones that seem to be working right. They share some connections, so they may seem right, but they're really backwards. And it doesn't matter what kind of wire you use, as long as it's conductive. Copper is usually the best for the value, and the most conductive of cheaper wires, so that's what I recomended. But that has nothing to do with the problem you're having. All eight connections are backwards.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
ND1310  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did this mod and it worked perfectly but then when i closed it up the green button didnt work . i opened it up and all the wires were fine. whats wrong with it?
any help is appreciated
brad16752  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd give a little update.....

I did this mod about 6 months ago and my controller still works perfectly. I have not had a single fret failure since I did this fix and I am pretty careless and clumsy with my controller.

Also, I lol'd reading the "void warranty" screw post, the exact same thing happened to me and I was baffled for about an hour.
SkaterGamer  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god whoever came up with this is a LEGEND. It worked perfectly for me, no more dropped holds w000000t

took me 2hours though because i didn't have the correct screwdriver, i was trying to do it with a flat head, lol. And I wasn't sure if 1mm cpc cable would work but it did, just perfectly, I used the temporary fix of moving the contacting plate forward but onfortunately that only worked well for a few days then I had to end up taking the neck out and licking my finger and rubbing the contacts every 10 minutes, it was becoming a nightmare but now no more worries, highly recommend doing this! It's fiddly, and time consuming but well worth it in the end.

Those instructions were very helpful too. thank you!!!!

750k ttfaf here i come.

EDIT: Oh i stripped the ribbons insulating material with my teeth, that worked fine, my wire strippers wouldn't work on it at all:(

And to make the hook, i used a pair of pliars to fold the cable back on itself then crushed the hook tight keeping the ribbins end of the cable firmly in place, gave it a quick tug to make sure it was secure then taped them up.

And about the faceplate... I just put in about 4 screws, 2 on the neck and 2 on the body, then put the neck into the body all the way, you can still get the faceplate on no problem because it's flexible, I could have put all the screws in first then added the faceplate last but I was just being careful. So it is easily possible to get the faceplate back on just slide it over the whammy bar then, point the whammy bar AWAY from the guitar and it will all just slot into place real easy.
50 Songs Gold Starred [X]
FC GH:Aerosmith [ ]

Check out my GH vids on Utube
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingpin0072001uk
Me breaking my arm is also on there.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Skatergamer0209
nfntjy  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome guide. thanks.

CAT-5 cable is a perfect source for the wire. There's 8 individually colored 22-gauge wires in there, and you can leave the outer insulation to keep everything looking nice.

I actually went so far as to install jacks in the neck and the body. Does anyone know of a decent way to make it so i could actually run the cable between the neck and body outside of the guitar?
rodrod  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: help Reply with quote

So, to wire them together, theyve got to be reversed, right? The ones on the right end go to the left end of the other side and so on? thanks in adv

EDIT: LOL I just wired them I backwards. Here is the deal: Red + Blue = Red. Yellow+Blue= Yellow. Yellow+Orange or Blue+Organge goes to the left on the Xbox menu rofl. Can someone PLEASE show a picture or arrange a drawing showing the proper wiring? Thanks
rodrod  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump? its kinda urgent
TheRiff  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tutorial! Works great for me, sucks for the people who don't have these resources. Thats probably thousands of people.

Used 24 gauge copper wire for anyone wondering what a good size would be.

New goals:
FC Slither [ ]
FC The Outsider [ ]
FC Seventeen, I Wanna Rock, or, R&R [ ]
rodrod  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pissed of, removed the ethernet cable I was using, and simply directly connected the grey wires deom the frets to the ones in the guitar using tape. Works great, Only thing is that if I want to remove the face plate I have to take the nexk screws off, but I don't care, I don't ever change it lol.
hate.machine  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red fret was wonky the first time, opened it back up and readjusted a loose connection and it works like a charm.

I was using copper wire that had no insulation and had to use quite a bit of tape.
eMan2718281828  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Wii controller, and recommendation Reply with quote

I just spent a few hours doing this to my Wii controller.

1st try - no fret buttons worked
2nd try - all but orange worked
3rd try - no fret buttons worked...but figured out that the 6th wire makes the rest of them work
4th try - only green and red work
5th try - green, red, and blue are good.
6th try - SUCCESS!

Electrical tape is a freakin' BITCH to remove after it's been wrapped around wires...especially wires in close proximity. Also, for anyone doing this, I recommend attaching your wire to the body first, and then the neck...the existing wires on the body are much shorter and are much easier to hook up if the other end of your wire is not already attached to something.
gamerkim28  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did this mod quite a while ago, but my guitar is starting to drop notes again.

Can we solder the points and THEN tape over it?

I guess this defeats the purpose of it being a no solder mod, but i think the wires became loose over time for me. I'm thinking I should solder the wires then wrap them in tape.

Is this a good idea or not?

Otherwise I'll just have to re-tape my wires again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone PLEASE do a drawing of which wire connects where? i want to know what im suppost to be doing defore i cut the PCB off my LP, and it doesnt say anything detailed about this in the OP

thx in advance

gamerkim28  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if my yellow is the only fret that's acting up (on a 360 les paul) which number wire(s) should i check?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6lake6bodom6 wrote:
can someone PLEASE do a drawing of which wire connects where? i want to know what im suppost to be doing defore i cut the PCB off my LP, and it doesnt say anything detailed about this in the OP

thx in advance

The ribbons match up 1 to 1 in the order and orientation they are in when connected. Just mark one side of each ribbon with a sharpie and hardwire each one in a row. It's pretty hard to mess up.

gamerkim28 wrote:
if my yellow is the only fret that's acting up (on a 360 les paul) which number wire(s) should i check?

When looking from the side in which you can see the button contacts and circuit board traces, top to bottom, number 2 and 6. But it doesn't really matter which ones because once you have this problem, you should hardwire all buttons regardless of if they are dropping notes yet or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: