ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Low-tech no-solder hardwire for Les Paul frets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamerkim28  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGuy wrote:
gamerkim28 wrote:
if my yellow is the only fret that's acting up (on a 360 les paul) which number wire(s) should i check?

When looking from the side in which you can see the button contacts and circuit board traces, top to bottom, number 2 and 6. But it doesn't really matter which ones because once you have this problem, you should hardwire all buttons regardless of if they are dropping notes yet or not.

sorry that my post wasn't specific. I have already hardwired my buttons. It's held up for a year now, but the yellow fret is now failing on me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guide; I did have a few problems though:

Problem 1 - It took me a while to figure out there was a screw under the warranty sticker. I think it would help if that was mentioned in the original post. I noticed a couple of other people had this same problem.

Problem 2 - The first time I wired the neck to the body I had the wires backwards. Below are a few diagrams of how the wires should be attached so that no one else will make this mistake.

Les Paul Wire Diagram

Les Paul Wire Diagram 2

Photobucket

Suggestion 1 - I found it much easier to just cut a hole in the side of the neck/body of the guitar right next to where the wires come out of the circuit board on the body of the guitar and feed the wires through that hole. The little bit of extra length that this gave me (from not having to bend the wires from the body of the guitar around the end of the neck of the guitar) allowed me to wire the neck and the body of the guitar together using only the wires that were already in the guitar (cut the work in half since I only had to make 8 connections instead of 16). Below is a picture of the hole I cut in the neck.

Photobucket

Suggestion 2 - I found that putting electrical tape along the edges of the neck stabilized the neck when it was inserted into the body, which had 2 benefits; 1) It was easier to connect the wires when the neck wasn't moving, 2) When I finished the neck didn't move at all making it more comfortable while I was playing. Below is a picture

Les Paul Neck Tape

Suggestion 3 - For those of you out there who are like me and don't use the straps, remove the strap pegs before putting the guitar back together. The guitar feels more comfortable to me when I'm playing without the strap pegs. If you do remove the pegs though, you should cover the holes with some electrical tape that way dust doesn't get into the interior of the guitar.

Suggestion 4 - Remove the cover to the Ethernet port before putting the guitar back together. Just cover up the hole with electrical tape. I can't even remember how many times that cover came loose and got caught on my clothes while playing, causing me to miss notes.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
TehGreenLlama wrote:
IWillKickU wrote:
You can use either of those. Any copper wire will do.

EDIT: It works now,i wired it backwards

Does it have to be copper wire? i did this today but i didnt use the wire i bought only because i had enough slack to connect them to each other. but im also having a big problem with it.

I numbered the wires (which is a great thing to do) connected them to the same wire from the body.

My green, red and orange work find but my blue and yellow are way messed up.

Yellow = blue and blue = yellow i tried to switch those wires but the problem persists. and there is another problem to that problem, the yellow and blue only work if red is held down.

Should i just add the copper wire to the correct spots, and is not using that wire my problem?

Also i am using the aerosmith les paul, is there any difference in the wiring with those? i notice that the 8 wire strip on my guitar has a purple strand on the 8th one.

Somebody please help me.

You made a common mistake. You just wired them backwards. Just reverse the order of all 8 wires and it'll be fine. Again, reverse ALL EIGHT! Even the ones that seem to be working right. They share some connections, so they may seem right, but they're really backwards. And it doesn't matter what kind of wire you use, as long as it's conductive. Copper is usually the best for the value, and the most conductive of cheaper wires, so that's what I recomended. But that has nothing to do with the problem you're having. All eight connections are backwards.

Alright, I seem to have the same problem as the fellow above, except that blue and yellow don't pick up at all by themselves. If I hold Red+Blue, it shows on the screen as Red+Yellow. Vici Versi with Red+Blue. I would just aknowledge my dumbassedness and rewire it the opposite of the way that I did, except that the strip of eight wires has a purple stream on one side. I assumed (my first mistake) that if I just matched the two eight wire strips, purple to purple, and adjacent wires after that, that it would be fine. Then I got the problem described above. Soooo, does the purple mark mean nothing? If so then I'll gladly rewire it, I just need to know if the purple line indicates anything. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Sure enough, I rewired it the opposite of the way that I had done it the first time, and it works perfectly now. Thanks so much for the guide! Once I stopped being a dumbass and did it the right way I was able to have a great guitar now. For future reference, anyone who sees those purple lines on the white strip; they mean nothing. The way my guitar is now, the purple lines don't line up at all, but the guitar works great. Thanks again for the mod!

<----- One of the hardest banners to earn on ScoreHero!!! The story is pretty good anyway, go ahead, give it a try!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
GP69  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got this at Radio Shack the other day...will this work?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Agt Falcon26
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP69 wrote:
i got this at Radio Shack the other day...will this work?

[img]*Picture*[/img]

Yes, it'll be a little big but it'll work.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
brad16752  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this little fix on another Les Paul controller. This controller was only about a month old and I noticed something interesting;the ribbon cable in the neck of the controller seemed to be longer. This time around, I was able to attach the ribbon cable from the neck directly to the ribbon cable in the body with no bridge wiring. This made things a lot easier for me because like stated in this thread, 8 connections are easier than 16.

I was just wondering if this is standard on all new models of the Les Paul or if maybe they are all like this and I somehow failed to notice this the first time I did the mod.
JR626  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I'm such a dumbass.....I did the same thing about 924 other people in this thread did and wired it backwards causing the yellow/blue problem. Woo!!!

Anyway, I went back and re-wired it and it works perfectly. Both of my guitars were fucking up so much it was getting to the point where I would throw them to the ground and just shut the game off. No more of that shit haha. Thanks for the guide.
AppleNick  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished doing this. I soldered as well for good measure. I accidentally wired it backwards, but since I soldered it I couldn't just go back, unwind everything and reverse it. So, I snipped the ribbon on the neck near the fretboard, seperated it, stripped it, and reversed it up there because I had a bit of excess wire. The connections are *perfect* with the soldering.

Someone should make a visual aid to prevent people from wiring it backwards and get it added to the OP.
JizzleWright  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this and it worked fine a few points though,
1 - People always say to use a TORX screwdriver, I used a normal one and it worked fine (A small flat head one)
2 - I didn't use electrical tape instead I used parcel tape, I assumed that as the controller would (probably) have quite a low ampage/voltage it wouldn't really matter, it has worked fine (so far)
3 - I cut out a bit from the back of the neck, I didn't get a picture of it though

4 - The wire I used was quite wierd, inside the plastic wire was some copper plus 2 smaller plastic coated wires, the picture is a bit rubbish. What I did was tape the 2 small wires down so they were out of the way.
iLLegit  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright so, i did what he did. and i used a copper wire similiar to his, but only one button responds. and then i tried it today, and none of them do. i believe i have the connection right. its 1-1 2-2 etc right?
deathleprchaun  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to give a big thanks to the OP. I did this a few days ago and now my LP works just as good as it did out of the box. It was a little time consuming but well worth it. thanks man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this possible without any extra wire and without cutting the neck? Someone a few posts up cut part of the neck out to use no extra wire, but I don't want to do that.
yayomg1337lol  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: I just went through the whole process... Reply with quote

it seems like i did everything correctly, but my guitar won't sync to my xbox. it hasn't had this problem before and the sync button seems to be connected with the other wires and is in the correct spot. also my batteries are fully charged. anyone know what i could try to fix this?

thanks.
Gio  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say this worked perfectly.I soldered the ribbons to ribbons with 22-gauge wire.The First time I tried it orange didnt work.I went back and resoldered it.Tried it again still no orange.So then I opened it up and cleaned the fret button circuit board contacts (underneath the rubber pads) with rubbing alcohol.This did the trick.Everything works perfect and my guitar no longer drops hold.Thanks alot.
By the way I Ended up with 2 extra screws somehow.But everythings tight and Secure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've had this problem for several months now, but my damn post freeze prevented me from posting here and getting the problem fixed. Argh. Well, that's over now, hopefully someone can help me.

Okay, I've already used this guide on one LP, and it worked great. The guitar is still working wonderfully, and I love it. I got another LP, though, and I attempted to do the mod again. I accidently wired it backwards, just like I (and lots of other people, apparently, lol) did the first time with the first guitar. Having already made this mistake, I just reversed the wiring, expecting the problem to be fixed now (like it was with the first guitar). This is where things get weird.

Here are how the frets register now, with the wiring still reversed:

Pressing green registers as: downstrum (wtf, never even heard of this happening)
Red registers as yellow
Yellow registers as red
Blue registers as Blue
And pressing orange doesn't register as anything

This is very frustrating, because I have no idea why it's doing this. As far as I know, I just reversed the wiring mistake that many people encounter on their first trial of the mod, so it should be working correctly, right? If anyone can figure out what kind of mistake I made (or what's wrong with the guitar) based on how it reacts to how it registers, I would be very grateful!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: