Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atremains  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atremains
all that remains

good band
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing CS one day (under my old name ronin) and i was looking for a new name cuz there were like 5 ronins in the server, and i was watching the behind the music for Ozzy and they were talking about randy rhodes' Flying V and it just clicked in my head "hey, flying v, thats a good name." and i just put it in, now it's pretty much my nickname for anything, including GH and DDR.
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
I was playing CS one day (under my old name ronin) and i was looking for a new name cuz there were like 5 ronins in the server, and i was watching the behind the music for Ozzy and they were talking about randy rhodes' Flying V and it just clicked in my head "hey, flying v, thats a good name." and i just put it in, now it's pretty much my nickname for anything, including GH and DDR.

ah...i see. I thought you just got your name because you liked the guitar, and then you just modified it (hence the fly1ng V)

But one i'd really like to know is ES942's
Zac  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z

The name of the Semitic symbol was zayin, possibly meaning "weapon", and was the seventh letter. It was either pronounced /z/ as in English and French, or possibly more like /dz/ (as in Italian zeta, zero).

The Greek form of Z was a close copy of the Phoenician symbol I, and the Greek inscriptional form remained in this shape throughout ancient times. The Greeks called it Zeta, a new name made in imitation of Eta (η) and Theta (θ).

In earlier Greek of Athens and Northwest Greece, the pronunciation seems to have been /dz/; in Attic, from the 4th century BC onwards, it seems to have been as English /z/. In other dialects, as Elean and Cretan, the symbol seems to have been used for sounds resembling the English voiced and unvoiced th (IPA /ð/ and /θ/, respectively). In the common dialect (κοινη) that succeeded the older dialects, ζ became /z/), as it remains in modern Greek.

In Etruscan, Z may have symbolized /ts/; in Latin, /dz/. In early Latin, the sound of /z/ developed into /r/, and the symbol became useless. It was therefore removed from the alphabet around 300 BC by the Censor, Appius Claudius Caecus, and a new letter, G was put in its place soon thereafter.

In the 1st century BC, it was, like Y, introduced again at the end of the Latin alphabet, in order to represent more precisely the value of the Greek zeta — previously transliterated as S at the beginning and ss in the middle of words, eg. sona = ζωνη, "belt"; trapessita = τραπεζιτης, "banker". The letter appeared only in Greek words, and Z is the only letter besides Y that the Romans took directly from the Greek, rather than Etruscan.

In Vulgar Latin, Greek Zeta seems to have been pronounced as dy (IPA /dj/), and later y (IPA /j/); di being found for Z in words like baptidiare for baptizare "baptize", while conversely Z appears for di in forms like zaconus, zabulus, for diaconus "deacon", diabulus, "devil". Z also is often written for the consonantal I (that is, J, IPA /j/) as in zunior for junior "younger".

Besides the above Latin forms, there was a more "cultured" Vulgate pronunciation of Z as /dz/, which passed through French into Middle English.

Until recent times, the English alphabets used by children terminated not with Z but with & or related typographic symbols. George Eliot refers to Z being followed by & when she makes Jacob Storey say, "He thought it [Z] had only been put to finish off th' alphabet like; though ampusand would ha' done as well, for what he could see."

A

The letter A began as a pictogram of an ox head in Egyptian hieroglyphs or the Proto-semitic alphabet.
Egyptian hieroglyphic ox head
Egyptian hieroglyph
ox head Proto-semitic ox head
Proto-semitic
ox head Phoenician aleph
Phoenician aleph Greek alpha
Greek alpha Etruscan A
Etruscan A Roman A
Roman A

By 1600 BC, the Phoenician alphabet's letter had a linear form that served as the basis for some later forms. Its name must have corresponded closely to the Hebrew aleph. The name is also similar to the Arabic alif.

When the Ancient Greeks adopted the alphabet, they had no use for the glottal stop that the letter had denoted in Phoenician and other Semitic languages, so they used the sign for the vowel /ɑ/, and changed its name to alpha. In the earliest Greek inscriptions, dating to the 8th century BC, the letter rests upon its side, but in the Greek alphabet of later times it generally resembles the modern capital letter, although many local varieties can be distinguished by the shortening of one leg, or by the angle at which the cross line is set.

The Etruscans brought the Greek alphabet to what was Italy and left the letter unchanged. The Romans later adopted the Etruscan alphabet to write Latin, and the resulting letter was preserved in the modern Latin alphabet used to write many languages, including English.

The letter has two minuscule (lower-case) forms. The form used in most current handwriting consists of a circle and vertical stroke. Most printed material uses a form consisting of a small loop with an arc over it. Both derive from the majuscule (capital) form. In Greek handwriting, it was common to join the left leg and horizontal stroke into a single loop, as demonstrated by the Uncial version below. Many fonts then made the right leg vertical. In some of these, the serif that began the right leg stroke developed into an arc, resulting in the printed form, while in others it was dropped, resulting in the modern handwritten form.

C

/k/ developed palatal and velar allophones in Latin, probably due to Etruscan influence. When the Roman alphabet was introduced into Britain, C had only the sound /k/ and this value of the letter has been retained by all the insular Celts: in Welsh, Irish, Gaelic, C, c, is still only /k/. The Old English or “Anglo-Saxon” writing was learned from the Celts, apparently of Ireland; hence C, c, in Old English, was also originally /k/: the words kin, break, broken, thick, seek, were in Old English written cyn, brecan, brocen, Þicc, séoc. But during the course of the Old English period, the k-sound before e and i became palatalized, and had by the 10th century advanced nearly or quite to the sound of /tʃ /, though still written c, as in cir(i)ce, wrecc(e)a. On the continent, meanwhile, a similar phonetic change had also been going on.

Original Latin C (= k) before e, i, had by palatalization advanced in Italy to the sound of /tʃ /, and in France still further to that of /ts/. Yet for these new sounds the old character C, c, was still retained before e and i, the letter thus acquiring two distinct values. Moreover the sound /k/ also occurred in French before e and i (chiefly as a representative of Latin qu); this was now expressed in Northern French by the Greek letter K, k; so that the sound /k/ had two symbols, k and c, while the symbol c had two sounds (/k/ and /ts/). These French inconsistencies as to C and K were, after the Norman Conquest, applied to the writing of English, which caused a considerable re-spelling of the Old English words. Thus while Old English candel, clif, corn, crop, cú, remained unchanged, Cent, cæ´Image:Insular G.GIF (cé´Image:Insular G.GIF), cyng, brece, séoce, were now (without any change of sound) spelt Kent, keȝ, kyng, breke, seoke; even cniht was subsequently spelt kniht, knight, and Þic, Þicc, became thik, thikk, thick. The Old English cw- was also at length (very unnecessarily) displaced by the French qw, qu, so that the Old English cwén, cwic, became Middle English qwen, quen, qwik, quik, now queen, quick. The sound /tʃ / to which Old English palatalized c had advanced, also occurred in French, chiefly (in Central French) from Latin c before a. In French it was represented by ch, as in champ, cher:–Latin camp-um, caōr-um; and this spelling was now introduced into English: the Hatton Gospels, written about 1160, have in Matt. i-iii, child, chyld, riche, mychel, for the cild, rice, mycel, of the Old English version whence they were copied: this was, phonetically, an improvement. In these cases, the Old English c gave place to k, qu, ch; but, on the other hand, c in its new value of /ts/ came in largely in French words like processiun, emperice, grace, and was also substituted for ts in a few Old English words, as miltse, bletsien, in early Middle English milce, blecien. By the end of the 13th century both in France and England, this sound /ts/ was reduced to simple /s/; and from that date c before e, i, y, has been, phonetically, a duplicate or subsidiary letter to s; used either for "etymological" reasons, as in lance, cent, or (in defiance of etymology) to avoid the ambiguity due to the "etymological" use of s for /z/, as in ace, mice, once, pence, defense.[/b]

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zac, I'll just go on believing that that is your name. It's much simpler!
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zac wrote:
Z

The name of the Semitic symbol was zayin, possibly meaning "weapon", and was the seventh letter. It was either pronounced /z/ as in English and French, or possibly more like /dz/ (as in Italian zeta, zero).

The Greek form of Z was a close copy of the Phoenician symbol I, and the Greek inscriptional form remained in this shape throughout ancient times. The Greeks called it Zeta, a new name made in imitation of Eta (η) and Theta (θ).

In earlier Greek of Athens and Northwest Greece, the pronunciation seems to have been /dz/; in Attic, from the 4th century BC onwards, it seems to have been as English /z/. In other dialects, as Elean and Cretan, the symbol seems to have been used for sounds resembling the English voiced and unvoiced th (IPA /ð/ and /θ/, respectively). In the common dialect (κοινη) that succeeded the older dialects, ζ became /z/), as it remains in modern Greek.

In Etruscan, Z may have symbolized /ts/; in Latin, /dz/. In early Latin, the sound of /z/ developed into /r/, and the symbol became useless. It was therefore removed from the alphabet around 300 BC by the Censor, Appius Claudius Caecus, and a new letter, G was put in its place soon thereafter.

In the 1st century BC, it was, like Y, introduced again at the end of the Latin alphabet, in order to represent more precisely the value of the Greek zeta — previously transliterated as S at the beginning and ss in the middle of words, eg. sona = ζωνη, "belt"; trapessita = τραπεζιτης, "banker". The letter appeared only in Greek words, and Z is the only letter besides Y that the Romans took directly from the Greek, rather than Etruscan.

In Vulgar Latin, Greek Zeta seems to have been pronounced as dy (IPA /dj/), and later y (IPA /j/); di being found for Z in words like baptidiare for baptizare "baptize", while conversely Z appears for di in forms like zaconus, zabulus, for diaconus "deacon", diabulus, "devil". Z also is often written for the consonantal I (that is, J, IPA /j/) as in zunior for junior "younger".

Besides the above Latin forms, there was a more "cultured" Vulgate pronunciation of Z as /dz/, which passed through French into Middle English.

Until recent times, the English alphabets used by children terminated not with Z but with & or related typographic symbols. George Eliot refers to Z being followed by & when she makes Jacob Storey say, "He thought it [Z] had only been put to finish off th' alphabet like; though ampusand would ha' done as well, for what he could see."

A

The letter A began as a pictogram of an ox head in Egyptian hieroglyphs or the Proto-semitic alphabet.
Egyptian hieroglyphic ox head
Egyptian hieroglyph
ox head Proto-semitic ox head
Proto-semitic
ox head Phoenician aleph
Phoenician aleph Greek alpha
Greek alpha Etruscan A
Etruscan A Roman A
Roman A

By 1600 BC, the Phoenician alphabet's letter had a linear form that served as the basis for some later forms. Its name must have corresponded closely to the Hebrew aleph. The name is also similar to the Arabic alif.

When the Ancient Greeks adopted the alphabet, they had no use for the glottal stop that the letter had denoted in Phoenician and other Semitic languages, so they used the sign for the vowel /ɑ/, and changed its name to alpha. In the earliest Greek inscriptions, dating to the 8th century BC, the letter rests upon its side, but in the Greek alphabet of later times it generally resembles the modern capital letter, although many local varieties can be distinguished by the shortening of one leg, or by the angle at which the cross line is set.

The Etruscans brought the Greek alphabet to what was Italy and left the letter unchanged. The Romans later adopted the Etruscan alphabet to write Latin, and the resulting letter was preserved in the modern Latin alphabet used to write many languages, including English.

The letter has two minuscule (lower-case) forms. The form used in most current handwriting consists of a circle and vertical stroke. Most printed material uses a form consisting of a small loop with an arc over it. Both derive from the majuscule (capital) form. In Greek handwriting, it was common to join the left leg and horizontal stroke into a single loop, as demonstrated by the Uncial version below. Many fonts then made the right leg vertical. In some of these, the serif that began the right leg stroke developed into an arc, resulting in the printed form, while in others it was dropped, resulting in the modern handwritten form.

C

/k/ developed palatal and velar allophones in Latin, probably due to Etruscan influence. When the Roman alphabet was introduced into Britain, C had only the sound /k/ and this value of the letter has been retained by all the insular Celts: in Welsh, Irish, Gaelic, C, c, is still only /k/. The Old English or “Anglo-Saxon” writing was learned from the Celts, apparently of Ireland; hence C, c, in Old English, was also originally /k/: the words kin, break, broken, thick, seek, were in Old English written cyn, brecan, brocen, Þicc, séoc. But during the course of the Old English period, the k-sound before e and i became palatalized, and had by the 10th century advanced nearly or quite to the sound of /tʃ /, though still written c, as in cir(i)ce, wrecc(e)a. On the continent, meanwhile, a similar phonetic change had also been going on.

Original Latin C (= k) before e, i, had by palatalization advanced in Italy to the sound of /tʃ /, and in France still further to that of /ts/. Yet for these new sounds the old character C, c, was still retained before e and i, the letter thus acquiring two distinct values. Moreover the sound /k/ also occurred in French before e and i (chiefly as a representative of Latin qu); this was now expressed in Northern French by the Greek letter K, k; so that the sound /k/ had two symbols, k and c, while the symbol c had two sounds (/k/ and /ts/). These French inconsistencies as to C and K were, after the Norman Conquest, applied to the writing of English, which caused a considerable re-spelling of the Old English words. Thus while Old English candel, clif, corn, crop, cú, remained unchanged, Cent, cæ´Image:Insular G.GIF (cé´Image:Insular G.GIF), cyng, brece, séoce, were now (without any change of sound) spelt Kent, keȝ, kyng, breke, seoke; even cniht was subsequently spelt kniht, knight, and Þic, Þicc, became thik, thikk, thick. The Old English cw- was also at length (very unnecessarily) displaced by the French qw, qu, so that the Old English cwén, cwic, became Middle English qwen, quen, qwik, quik, now queen, quick. The sound /tʃ / to which Old English palatalized c had advanced, also occurred in French, chiefly (in Central French) from Latin c before a. In French it was represented by ch, as in champ, cher:–Latin camp-um, caōr-um; and this spelling was now introduced into English: the Hatton Gospels, written about 1160, have in Matt. i-iii, child, chyld, riche, mychel, for the cild, rice, mycel, of the Old English version whence they were copied: this was, phonetically, an improvement. In these cases, the Old English c gave place to k, qu, ch; but, on the other hand, c in its new value of /ts/ came in largely in French words like processiun, emperice, grace, and was also substituted for ts in a few Old English words, as miltse, bletsien, in early Middle English milce, blecien. By the end of the 13th century both in France and England, this sound /ts/ was reduced to simple /s/; and from that date c before e, i, y, has been, phonetically, a duplicate or subsidiary letter to s; used either for "etymological" reasons, as in lance, cent, or (in defiance of etymology) to avoid the ambiguity due to the "etymological" use of s for /z/, as in ace, mice, once, pence, defense.[/b]

please tell me you copied and pasted that somewhere
Genga  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dictionary page im sure ;)
lokefurbenstein  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokefurbenstein is a shorter version of my alter ego Loke Von Furbenstein I created when I was at Clearfield Job Corps.
SkepticalMario  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkepticalMario is short for Skeptical Hi-Kick Mario, which aside from not meaning much is an anagram of my full name.

Bark at the Zoo
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zac wrote:
Z

The name of the Semitic symbol was zayin, ...

I knew it!
ES942  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutendoji wrote:
Fly1ngV wrote:

ah...i see. I thought you just got your name because you liked the guitar, and then you just modified it (hence the fly1ng V)

But one i'd really like to know is ES942's

well, E is my first initial, S is my middle name, (my last name is Z, i think it would have been cooler, you know, EZ) and 942 is just some random numbers. i considered getting a new id with ES335 after, but then i decided i didnt need to

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
well, E is my first initial, S is my middle name, (my last name is Z, i think it would have been cooler, you know, EZ) and 942 is just some random numbers. i considered getting a new id with ES335 after, but then i decided i didnt need to

I found that ES942 is a strand of e-coli bacteria. Before I thought you were weird to choose that as a name, but now I see.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I find that e-coli thing? or were we both searching at the same time XD

Anyways, mine went over a few iterations before it evolved into the numerical 1337 that is my name. For starters, my last name is Feica (pronounced phee-kha). At one point someone called me freaka. I created my current email after I had become madly obsessed with DDR (ddr_fr34k...before I had known about www.ddrfreak.com). I then became Fr34k...later down the road switching to Phr34k, because it just looks nicer, and for the love of guitar gods...it stuck ^_^

And Zac...you win for the best name response EVER
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
Genga  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkepticalMario wrote:
SkepticalMario is short for Skeptical Hi-Kick Mario, which aside from not meaning much is an anagram of my full name.

you must have some big birth certificate ;)
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:
SkepticalMario wrote:

you must have some big birth certificate ;)

lol...i should figure out your entire name...you'd really be able to tell that i have no life...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: