Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Is it wrong to be a geek?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lokefurbenstein  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Is it wrong to be a geek? Reply with quote

I have been in the wonderful world of gaming for nineteen years now and I'm just curious if it's so wrong to be a "geek"
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on how much of a geek you are and how/where you geek out. like a large portion of my friends understand that i love music games and video games in general, but i make it a note to not force my accomplishments into any conversation. if you're a nerd and try to be socially acceptable in public, then it's ok. but the minute you start to cosplay in public settings (like a bank for example, swear to god, seen it happen. a guy was dressed as vash the stampede), thats when issues come along.
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no more wrong then being a jock... although at least geeks get contributing jobs to society.
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it wrong to be a geek? Reply with quote

lokefurbenstein wrote:
I have been in the wonderful world of gaming for nineteen years now and I'm just curious if it's so wrong to be a "geek"

i don't sterotype people into groups...different interests don't classify people into group. I'm not implying that Im a nerd or a jock, or a geek, but two each his own...end of story...

anyways games a great, no doubt about that
Genga  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing games is my way of life, so im with you buddy
deathtongue  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaming seems to be a phase that some people eventually grow out of... I'm sure it will never happen to me though, even if I wanted it to. My wife claims to be ok with that but I'm sure deep down she thinks she can get me to kick the habit

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself not playing games very often at all anymore.
It feels like games today have lower quality on average, too, then they did back in the SNES/Genesis era.
ES942  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the only game i thought that was good on genesis was the sonic series. those were always fun. but i never owned one. the only systems our family ever had were a nintendo, a playstation, a ps2, and a psp.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rampart for Genesis...wins the gaming history in my books...READEHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAIM!!!! FIIIIIIRE!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
lokefurbenstein  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I miss the old-school feel of the NES so badly, as for the Genesis, I enjoyed the software, but the hardware constantly pissed me off.
Matt  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most people don't realize about NES games is that while there were so many good ones, there were thousands of bad ones too; they were coming out with a dozen games a week.
At least it allowed for some underground classics (The Guardian Legend anyone?)
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
What most people don't realize about NES games is that while there were so many good ones, there were thousands of bad ones too; they were coming out with a dozen games a week.
At least it allowed for some underground classics (The Guardian Legend anyone?)

no kiddin'...oldies were the greatest. But the new ones are OK...but yeah i miss the NES...
lokefurbenstein  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do admit that there were in fact alot of horrible games released on the NES, but the good ones (like Final Fantasy) were the building blocks that have led to creating the gaming industry of today. The thing that bothers me now is companies seem to be more worried about graphics than anything else. I do acknowledge that every so often companies do actually try to enhance gameplay and story, but I've noticed that in the last six years the storylines of games have turned to complete crap, and the endings lack the old payoffs of the past.
blackdragon480  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the title of this thread I was thinking it'd be focused on the old carney/circus style geeks, in which case I would have said, "Yes, it's wrong to be a geek, especially with the spectre of bird flu floating around". But sadly, tis not to be.

As for the thrust of the topic, no it isn't wrong to be a geek, anymore than it's wrong to indulge in any hobby or leisure activity. Now granted some aren't all that good for you (such as my weakness for good cigars and single malt scotch), but it is in no way wrong to engage in them, provided they don't harm others of course.
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokefurbenstein wrote:
I do admit that there were in fact alot of horrible games released on the NES, but the good ones (like Final Fantasy) were the building blocks that have led to creating the gaming industry of today. The thing that bothers me now is companies seem to be more worried about graphics than anything else. I do acknowledge that every so often companies do actually try to enhance gameplay and story, but I've noticed that in the last six years the storylines of games have turned to complete crap, and the endings lack the old payoffs of the past.

yeah and look at it now...the stories are getting dumber and the characters more annoying...(look at FFX-2) the only thing that is really advancing is the graphics...whopee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: