ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Official Tournament Rulings / Suggested Rulesets
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sephi  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Official Tournament Rulings / Suggested Rulesets Reply with quote

I figure with all the people deciding to organize Guitar Hero competitions nowadays, I'd help out by throwing all my experience to them. Here for you are a pretty complete list of Guitar Hero rulings on common problems. Feel free to ask for more rulings and other problems you need cleared up. That way, the Guitar Hero tournaments will be pretty standard as far as basic rules.

Here is a list of mods that have been done by me and others. Some I would consider fixes that correct an inherent weakness in the factory model. Others mods I would consider additions that enable the player to play differently, and thus could be considered an advantage.

1. Filing down the ridge on the yellow fret button.--t doesn't affect playing in a way that would change the basic game. I've even moved the colors around. This same idea would have no effect on the game and is personal preference. Ruling : ALLOWED

2. Fret button cardboard backing.--This prevents the buttons from sticking under the sides and also makes them more responsive. This mod could be considered granting an advantage, but I mostly consider it a fix, especially in the wireless whose fret board gap and/or button construction makes sticky buttons a problem.

3. Rubber band tightened whammy bar.--An easy mod to increase the springiness of a worn whammy bar. Whammying faster has no effect on the increased speed of star power gathering so this is one is mostly for comfort. --This one is definitely ok. If your whammy spring breaks, sometimes it is the only way to fix it. I personally have a very tight whammy bar so it doesn't move around. Same idea, just fitting to my personal preference. Ruling : ALLOWED

4. Strum bar velcro--This quiets and softens each strum impact. It's barely noticable and doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference anyway. If this is putting velcro on the actual strum bar itself, then it seems fine. The guitar has not been altered in a way outside of manufactured specifications. Ruling: ALLOWED

5. Tilt senor sensitivity tweaking
I consider these fixes to be able to activate star power when you want, and not when you don't want to. Unwanted rock outs and missing notes when you hold the guitar verical and shake it can really hurt your score.--This one is allowed if it only means that you adjusted the internal tilt sensors to make them closer to normal sensitivity. Some guitars come out of the box really sensitive and others not so sensitive. This variation makes it ok to play around with it to find your optimal range of tilt. Ruling: ALLOWED

6. Star power button (not select button)--I've seen these on the top of the body, underneath, and on the head of the neck. This makes the star power button more accesable than the select button and doesn't require a guitar tilt. This is a definite NO. This alters the guitar from its manufactured state that completely changes the entire gameplay and way that songs are played. Yes, I've seen lots of different mods for this. For tournament play, none of them are allowed. Ruling : NOT ALLOWED

7. Solo buttons--A second set of 5 or more smaller fret buttons further down the neck. These were custom made by a few folks before they came standard on the 3rd party double range. Is supposed to make soloing easier. I haven't tried it yet, but it is starting to sound more like "functionally different" at this point.--Same as star power button, it alters the guitar from its stock manufactured state. I know the guy who did the first version of this. You can use the guitar if you don't use the solo buttons higher on the neck. Ruling: RESTRICTED USE.

8. Foot pedal star power mod--same as #6. Definite NO. Ruling : NOT ALLOWED

Misc.:

A. Wireless Vs. Corded: matter of preference. Ruling : ALLOWED IF THE GAME RECOGNIZES THE CONTROLLER
B. Playing with a pick: Personal preference, no effect on gameplay. Ruling : ALLOWED
C. Playing with a bucket on your head : If you're good, then why not. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you were probably going to get knocked out first round. Just trying to help same you some humiliation.....

Feel free to discuss or ask for more rulings. If you come to any of my tournaments, these are the basic rules.

Bracketing-

I use a standard double elimination bracket. For more info on how to make one, PM me. I always put the odd high seeds on the top half of the bracket and the even high seeds on the bottom. Similar to this:

1v8

3v6

2v7

4v5

The decision between the placement of the 3 and 4 seeds is totally dependent on the choice of the tournament organizer. I only choose this so that the matches are fairly equal in difficulty for #1 and #2. Either way, the #1 should beat the #3 and the #2 should be the #4. matching the #2 and #3 together in my opinion isn't fair to the #2 either. They earned #2 and should just like the #1 have an easier match. The idea that the #1 seed should have the easiest path is not one that totally agree on. They should face the lowest seeds per match, but not the lowest possible seeds throughout the tournament. This would make the qualifying more of a #1 seed gets to the end kind of tournament. I really want to encourage the best competition for the entire tournament.

Qualifying-

I created a deck of 64 cards(standard playing cards). On each card I wrote the name of a song in GHII. 64 songs = 64 cards. I have already ruled out a list of songs that would not make acceptable qualifying songs. They were eliminated based on the following criteria: length, difficulty (too easy and too hard), and repetition (see Monkey Wrench). From these "average songs", I randomly choose the qualifier on the day of the tournament IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. Then these cards are shuffled back into the rest of the deck. The full deck is used for the random third song pick if need be.

I will post MY list for qualifying songs soon........

Tournament Progression -

Best two-out-of-three. Higher seed picks either the first song or passes it to the lower seed. Second song is lower seed's pick, or higher seed's if he passed earlier. Third song, if necessary is randomly drawn. Usually double-elimination is the most fair method of play. This allows players to get more matches. Plus, MORE MATCHES = BETTER SHOWING OF WHO REALLY IS THE BEST.

Song Picking-

For my tournaments, a player is only allowed to pick a song once for the duration of the tournament. That song may be picked AGAINST them any number of times, it may also be RANDOMLY drawn against them any number of times, but they may only PICK it once.

Speed Mod-

My position has and will always be: "if both players consent to its use, it's allowed. Otherwise, it will be off by default." Why? The game comes out of the box with hyperspeed off. If a player chooses to play without it, he overrules the other guy because that is the "stock" mode of playing. Forcing a player to use a "mod" is not allowed and shouldn't be. They choose to play the game as it is, therefore the match will be as the game is normally. On the other hand, a high majority of the top players use the speed mod anyway, so it usually ends up being the minority who plays without the speed mod in Expert. The majority of my hard players usually play without it though.

Jan. 12, 2007- I no longer am a mere God, I am a Guitar God. 64/64 *****

Last edited by Sephi on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:47 am; edited 6 times in total
nipps  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty good set of rules.
i like to add a few

a major problem i see is pausing.
a few poeple i have seen pause on purpose when they screw up to throw their opponent off.
mostly during a solo , so they stay in a match

at my tournies i give them a warning for the first time and a 5 second penalty.
then if they do it again i forfeit them.
i dont knwo if you have seen it. but thsoe types of players ruin the game.
Sephi  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's during a hold note, I've just warned them. But, other than that, if the match is close, it's an automatic forfeiture. I removed my start button from my guitar solely for this reason.

Crackensan  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This clears up some questions i had. thank you.

now, to crack open my wired and practice on it more...
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nipps wrote:
a few poeple i have seen pause on purpose when they screw up to throw their opponent off.
mostly during a solo , so they stay in a match

Holy geez, that's crazy unsportsmanlike right there. Can't even imagine doing something like that.

The whole "warning (and/or light reprimand) when it's innocuous or a harmless mistake" is a fair enough approach. But if it's done with malice, or even unintentionally when the match hung in the balance? Yeah, that's an automatic loss right there. Wholehearted agreement.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twice paused during competition, both times completely by accident while trying to hit the select button when my tilt activation decided to not work

Doing it on purpose is thoroughly reprehensible, BUT it does happen accidentally as well...

Sephi - would you mind posting a bit about what rules you use to run the competition - in terms of song choices, seedings, pairings, etc, etc.

I would certainly not rule out the possibility of me organizing a contest in Columbus in the near future, and would like to have some ideas about how you do it - of the contests I've been to, I think the format I enjoyed was each round being the best of three, each player picks a song, and a tiebreaker song is selected by the judge.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
PriestMLH  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely feeling a tournament at Castle WuLFe ;D
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:

I would certainly not rule out the possibility of me organizing a contest in Columbus in the near future, and would like to have some ideas about how you do it - of the contests I've been to, I think the format I enjoyed was each round being the best of three, each player picks a song, and a tiebreaker song is selected by the judge.

That would be great if you organized a tourney in Columbus. I would definitely be there and be willing to help organize.

And yeah, I've always wanted to try that best of three, each player picks a song deal in a tournament. I've been to three tourneys thus far and still none of them were organized like that.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

Sephi  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:updated with song selection and seeding:

Sephi  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:updated with qualifying rules:

Emptyeye  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Pausing, I agree that it can definitely happen by accident. I haven't done it in a tournament setting at all, but I have hit Start when I was going for Select while playing on my own. Strictly anecdotal evidence (IE What wuLFe said; if I'm reading his post right, he doesn't typically use Select for SP, nor do I) suggests that this is commonplace when first adjusting to using Select. That said, I'd like to see some type of "no harm, no foul" clause. You know, if it's during some harmless section of the song, and/or the pause doesn't otherwise affect the match (One person is way ahead/way behind at the time), let it go. Penalize them if it could affect the outcome, yes.

On a related note, I don't know if you're all familiar with In the Groove, but a guy named Cory Evans started an "In the Groove Player's Representation Organization". It basically served two purposes: A. Act as a representative force dedicated to effectively standardizing the ITG tournament ruleset. B. Increase a given player's legal clout in the event of a dispute, such as promised prizes not being awarded. I don't know how much we'll have to worry about B, but I'd definitely like to see some of the tournament-level players try and hammer out something approaching a "standard" ruleset for GH tournaments. Suggestions for brackets, number of songs per round, etc. Maybe have a couple potential rulesets, one where time is no object--double-elimination, two-out-of-three-songs wins the match--, and then some other ruleset for "quicker" tournaments.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule set that I have described thus far is for a time is no limit setting. Also, the point of this thread is for a unified rule set for tournament play.

Emptyeye  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephi wrote:
The rule set that I have described thus far is for a time is no limit setting. Also, the point of this thread is for a unified rule set for tournament play.

I guessed as much. Thus far, it looks pretty similar to a basic ITG tournament. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, though I wonder how well such a ruleset scales to large tournaments...you could conceivably play an ITG match in the time it takes to play a GH/II SONG. And cool that you took the initiative on coming up with a standard ruleset, by the way.

Question: Why do you do odd high seeds on the top, even high seeds on the bottom? I would think you'd want to serve two purposes with a bracket: A. Have it so, providing no upsets, the top two seeds meet in the winner's bracket finals, and B. Have it so (Again presuming no upsets, though I'm not sure how much that factors in, honestly) the top seed has the easiest path to said final. For that, I'd think presuming an 8-person tournament, you'd therefore want a bracket like:

1 v. 8

4 v. 5

3 v. 6

2 v. 7

Just my thoughts on that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. The decision between the placement of the 3 and 4 seeds is totally dependent on the choice of the tournament organizer. I only choose this so that the matches are fairly equal if difficulty for #1 and #2. Either way, the #1 should beat the #3 and the #2 should be the #4. matching the #2 and #3 together in my opinion isn't fair to the #2 either. They earned #2 and should just like the #1 have an easier match. The idea that the #1 seed should have the easiest path is not one that totally agree on. They should face the lowest seeds per match, but not the lowest possible seeds throughout the tournament. This would make the qualifying more of a #1 seed gets to the end kind of tournament. I really want to encourage the best competition for the entire tournament.

quackadilly  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should add this rule:

I pick a song....play it....I win the tournament.

It would really save a lot of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: