ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Official Tournament Rulings / Suggested Rulesets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sluggo  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm vehemently opposed to letting people sit down in tourneys, especially if it's some kind of on-stage spectator event. If it's just qualifying at a kiosk somewhere, that's one thing. But if you've got 50-1000 people on hand to watch you play in the finals, stand the hell up and let the people see you.

Seriously, I don't want people to put on crazy outfits and get graded on their moves, but if you want Guitar Hero tourneys to catch on, you have to at least give people something to watch. Guitar Hero (and Pro Face-Off) is a game custom-made for large audiences, and thinking like "let players sit down if they want" does nothing but suck a lot of life out of the event.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that normally, Sluggo, but I have to say, there are a ton of guitarists in real life who sit when they perform at concerts. Dave Mustaine comes to mind. I understand the showmanship aspect for it, but no other game requires it. Yes, guitar hero has that showmanship aspect, but for competitive play, it shouldn't be required. If the score is based on what happens on the screen, then it shouldn't matter what the player is doing.

P.S.- Was it just me....or did Quackadilly seriously make a post again?

Jan. 12, 2007- I no longer am a mere God, I am a Guitar God. 64/64 *****
quackadilly  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score-based tournaments should have no restriction to standing/sitting position. If you are more comfortable playing while doing a hand-stand, then by all means, do it.

Now for the tournaments that score you on showmanship...... if you want to sit, be prepared to lose the points.

Quote:
P.S.- Was it just me....or did Quackadilly seriously make a post again?

Yup. Wouldn't say "I'm back"......but I am coming back.......and also....I do need a new 360.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? You make the big bucks now! Go buy 7 360's....... j/k

Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive and interesting ruleset.

It'll never be an issue for me, of course (no tourneys in the UK Midlands... ), but there's one more mod that came to mind - filing down the ridges between the fret buttons. I do it to prevent the finger pain inherent in missing the button and jamming your finger against a piece of hard plastic, but there's undoutedly a school of thought who will suggest that it affects gameplay, possibly by making sliding easier or some such. Thoughts?

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Sephi  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filing down the ridge on the yellow fret button.--t doesn't affect playing in a way that would change the basic game. I've even moved the colors around. This same idea would have no effect on the game and is personal preference. Ruling : ALLOWED

There's this on the front post. I believe you mean the ridges on the neck of the guitar, not the buttons. That is also allowed as it is only for comfort. 99.99% of players play with the ridges just fine. There isn't an inherent benefit to your playing ability by filing it down.

Ayrlie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 95% of the organizers around here do require the standing position (unless you are physically unable to do so) while playing in events. I'm one of them that do require it, while I know others that do not. I personally think that players should do it like the real guitar players do at concerts: play while standing up. I only had one player insist on playing while seated even though that player is physically able to stand and play. I only enforce the playing while standing rule on pro-face off mode events, however, as any of the highscore mode events I put on are either online events or the open-play type events.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, and I think many others would agree with me, guitar hero is a video game, not a rock concert simulator. If the tournament is set up so the player with the best score moves on, then they should be able to pick how they should play. I've been playing sitting down ever since I started playing, so that would put me at a big disadvantage because it would be extremely awkard for me to play standing up after all this time. Of course, if this were one of those "rock out by hopping around on stage during the song" competitions that everyone hates, then sure, sitting down probably wouldn't get them too many points.

All other video game tournaments don't have the "standing only" rule, so I don't see why this one should be any different. If the competitors want to stand, they can. If they don't, they shouldn't have to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double elimination seems like the best way to do every tournament.

I am thinking about holding a tournament sometime in February. I was wondering a few things; is there a big difference between how each system plays? Do players bring their own guitars to these events? With the other games I host bring your own controller is required but a guitar is different than a five buck controller. Is it fair to ban all mods that aren't purely aesthetic?

How I would like to run it is a double elimination with a qualifying round to hopefully decrease the bracket size and get the seeds setup. Higher seed player chooses first song. After the first song is played, the loser gets to pick the next song. Lowest score loses. In the event of a tie, which seems near impossible in guitar hero, I figure note streak would determine winner. Matches will be best out of three with the exception of the finals (losers, winners, and grand) which would be best of five.

What are some good songs for GH3 that could be used for the qualifying round?

For you other host, I really recommend tio tournament organizer. I don't remember seeing GH3 listed but any game should work fine. It generates a bracket for you, it can distribute the pot, and keep track of stations.
http://allisbrawl.com/tio/
VinnySibel.com  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of double elimination, all it does is make a tournament with 5 people go on FORVER!

It's good I suppose with very small groups, but with a good 10+ people, I'd say no.

Gaara72  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinnySibel.com wrote:
I'm not a big fan of double elimination, all it does is make a tournament with 5 people go on FORVER!

It's good I suppose with very small groups, but with a good 10+ people, I'd say no.

I think double elimination properly gives people a chance to end up where they belong in a tournament. Lets say the best and 2nd best person at the tournament play each other in the first round, the second best loses. If it were single elimination the person who is the second best would have no chance to continue even if the rest of the bracket were complete pushovers. If it were a cash prize for say top 3 players, he would be screwed even though he could be clearly better than everyone else except the person who won and he goes home with nothing. If it was double elimination the person would continue his way up the losers bracket and eventually play the person who beat him originally and end up rightfully in 2nd. In single elimination the final results could be more of a "luck of the draw" on where your placed on the bracket than an actual ranking of skill, which is what a tournament is supposed to be. I also find this to be why "pooling" people into groups of four-ish and round robin-ing them and taking the best out of each pool into a final bracket could be unfair to certain people but usually for the size of the tourneys that do this (more than 64 people) I can understand why they do.

I can has accomp thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: xXgaara72Xx
VinnySibel.com  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said I was against it for the reason of it being fair lol. It is in my opinion a very fair way to deal with any tournament, but for time sakes it just never works out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: