ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
youhas presents: NorCal ScoreHero Get-Together 2.0 (6/20-22)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: youhas presents: NorCal ScoreHero Get-Together 2.0 (6/20-22) Reply with quote

EDIT: On Friday night, assume that pizza will be either imported or cooked on site, depending on the ambient temperature outside. Assume also that we'll start with Rock Band, what with the whole quest-for-leaderboard-smashing-excellence gambit we'll have going on. We'll get to customs (and possibly setting up a second gaming platform) later on in the evening.

EDIT FOR FOLKS WHO CARE: If you're coming in from far-flung lands and this information helps any: we live in Santa Clara, essentially at the corner of Lick Mill Blvd. and East River Parkway. Plan your route accordingly! (If your far-flung lands entail using an airplane, then for the record: SJC is tons more convenient than SFO - just a couple minutes up the road, it is.)

SUPER-QUICK FAQ:
Q. Hey! I'm not quite 18 yet! Can I come?
A. Yes, you can come, assuming your parents approve. Yes, there will be alcohol present at this event. No, underage drinking will not be permitted. If your parents do not approve, please take it up with them, not us.

Q. What time does everything start?
A. The evening of Friday, June 20 - I'll say "6pm" as a guesstimate of a starting time. Events should continue through the night and all day Saturday, with folks probably filtering out sometime on Sunday afternoon.

Q. What's the itinerary? Are there any scheduled breakfast/dinners/outings/whatever on the calendar?
A. We'll figure all that out along the way.

Current roster of generally awesome individuals who RSVPed and everything:
youhas (THIS, NO DOUBT, SURPRISES YOU)
Ealasaid (MY WIFE! ADDITIONAL SURPRISE IS IN ORDER)
BreakManX
BreakMeganX
Hitoshura
deepbluevibes
MajorGeek42
entropymaxer
FlannelJacket
Deschain
voidofenigmas +1
Lunchb0x
BooMan555
SeanDread
Jowhannez
Elilasol
Blackbird5150
JetsterDajet +1
Trixim
schmegery + the other 3 GameSpot tourney folks
pmswedge
meister +3

(Italicized folks never, technically speaking, RSVPed with a PM, but dude, they replied in thread repeatedly, so where the hell else would they be?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Posted this on the Rock Band half of the website, but that is apparently the half where people do not go for get-together information. Apologies for the cross-pollination of this information. Will cross-link / clean-up these identical posts later.)

Hey there, party people! I remember the last Northern California Get-Together we had, last August. Them was some good times! Had people coming on over from reasonably all over, coalescing in Santa Clara for an entire weekend chock-full of whatever sorts of rhythm gaming madness struck our fancy. I think it's high time we had another one of those bad boys, don't you? So on that note, we proudly present:

The Northern California ScoreHero Get-Together Redux!

Where: Assuming turnout is in the same boat as last time, I'll offer up our lovely convenient-to-three-freeways apartment in Santa Clara once again. (It's a bit on the small side, so crash space is at a premium... but we seem to be the only folks with neighbors who are totally indifferent to us rocking out at 2am, which is a huge plus.) If it turns out that there's an eminently superior location - or we have EPIC TURNOUT and need to upgrade to a hotel conference room or something - we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

When: We have an actual date to share with y'all: the weekend of June 20 through June 22. I'll go by the same general guidelines as last time: folks start showing up on Friday night, stick around for whatever parts of the weekend that they're so inclined for, and start filtering on out by Sunday afternoon.

Why: Because in-person quad-Expert bands always end up absolutely smoking the rest of the leaderboards. Also, because ScoreHeroers are Good People(tm) and generally all kinds of a laugh to hang out with.

Other Items of Note:
- We have cats. If you are allergic, take countermeasures accordingly.
- No hard and fast age limit, though kindly be aware that (a) there will assuredly be booze and (b) if your parents don't want you associating with booze-toting and/or Internet-derived individuals... well, we're going to respect their wishes on that front.

The time to party is nigh! Post your interest, availability, and other pertinent questions posthaste!

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas

Last edited by youhas on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:30 am; edited 10 times in total
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o/

I'm most definitely interested. The only weekend weekend I can't do it, assuming it is changed around, is the weekend of June 8th. I'm graduating HS that weekend, so I don't know if I should be going out that weekend. Almost any other time should be fine.

EDIT: It would seem that my friends are requiring that I go with them to a small concert around here on Saturday, May 24th. Do you think we can push it to another weekend maybe? :/

Last edited by HylianHero on Fri May 02, 2008 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HylianSH
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, my parents probably would be all weird about me going to play gh with people I know from the internet, and the booze certainly doesn't help.

Count me in for the 2010 get together though since I'll be in college

(or 2009 if it's in the summer I guess >_>)
youhas  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@footballtom3685: Heh - yeah, we've gotten that from people before. Going policy is pretty much "if parents want to call us up, or meet us ahead of time, or otherwise verify that we are boring individuals with things like careers and college diplomas, that's fine. and if that seems like too much hassle and not worth the effort, that's fine, too."

@HylianHero: Memorial Day Weekend is not set in stone by any means. I just sort of picked it because (a) I was sure that I had that Monday off and (b) last I checked, at least one other individual (BreakManX) had it as a verified weekend free.

(This is the part of the thread where other locals come streaming in, stumping for dates that totally work for them. That would maximally useful, and far superior to Plan B, wherein I select a date from whole cloth and inflict it upon the masses by fiat.)

Hitoshura  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, we're long overdue. Unfortunately, May 24th is out for me as well. We're throwing a party for my dad's 50th birthday, so I'll be out of town for that weekend. I may also have one weekend in June busy (which one is TBD) but other than that, I think I'm free. I haven't had a chance to play with a full-Expert Rock Band group in person yet, so I'll definitely be looking forward to that.
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hour and a half drive for my parents.
2. STRANGER DANGER!
3. I would love to go, but if its Memorial weekend, its the same weekend as Fanime >:|
4. My parents would probably be very "eh" on this situation. Internet peoples and Booze. llolol my parents will take that as a "Oh hell no hes not going" kinda thing :P
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitoshura wrote:
I may also have one weekend in June busy (which one is TBD) but other than that, I think I'm free.

If you get a say in the matter one way or another, kindly attempt to stump for having your event happen on Hylian's graduation weekend. Might as well at least try to coordinate our collective calendars. Mr. Green

If Memorial Day weekend is a trainwreck for more parties than not, so be it. Am sort of dithering about whether to get something cobbled together in June or just biting the bullet, circling a random far-flung date in August which is hopefully not spoken for yet, and rallying the troops for a Mega-Event(tm).

pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Albuquerque for NVGA Memorial Day Weekend.

Let's push it out... the rest of the summer works okay for me, I think.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm open for Memorial Day Weekend, but if that's pretty much going to shit out for everyone else, I'm cool with rescheduling for sometime in June. Or July. I'll keep my options open so we can make this happen. Otherwise, a Mega-Event could also be feasible. If there's enough interest in something BIG, I'm sure we could work something out. Crunch some numbers. Call some people. Juggle some options. Verb some nouns.

And nao, important question. Will (people) be allowed to use the Stratocaster, or is this forseeably going to end up being a Les Paul/X-Plorer-fueled event?

At the rate I post, I'll attain Freebird status by the year 2014.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against the Strat. Mine works quite well, actually, even though I still prefer the Les Paul.

Anyone up for making this into a Band World Tour fiesta? I think with the talent of Norcal we could easily hit the top of the leaderboard...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, "summer" it is, then. I will consult my social calendar (read as: talk to Ealasaid) to cull any already-spoken-for weekends from the mix and see if I can't post a semi-arbitrary candidate date for folks to yea/nay about.

As for hardware: I am made of fail on the Strat, but dude, I certainly don't object to anyone else using one. We still have ours on hand - very probably not so much as touched since the last time BreakManX was over and had Strat-oriented needs. While on the topic of hardware: we've never really gotten around to modding our drums, which seem to be of the "randomly suck when doing anything at speed" variety. If anyone has a rocktastic drum set that they're all giddy about using, bringing along that bad boy would be highly encouraged!

pmswedge wrote:
Anyone up for making this into a Band World Tour fiesta? I think with the talent of Norcal we could easily hit the top of the leaderboard...

Hey, I'm certainly game for turning the affair into a weekend-long Rock Band World-Tour-a-thon, suitable for chewing up and destroying as many songs as we are utterly capable of doing in hopes of sneaking onto the upper rungs of the leaderboards. Party with a purpose! [raises fist] (Lord knows we'll have more than enough guitarists and vocalists, anyway.)

Hitoshura  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a newer-gen drum set (the one that you can purchase separately from the game), and the heads/pads definitely have more rebound than my first set, which makes playing much easier in general. I haven't really noticed any dropped hits so far. Also, I've got an Omega Pedal coming in the mail sometime soon, so once I get used to that my drumming should improve a lot (stock pedal is crap IMO on expert).

I'm planning to use some vacation time during the summer, so I'd definitely be down for a full weekend of Rock Band. I'm not top-of-the-leaderboards caliber (yet ), but I can definitely hold my own on all instruments on Expert.
TheAthleticsCap  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably won't happen for me, but I'm definitely interested.

Problems: Parents (I'm not yet 16) and as stated before, individuals known through internet.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: TheAthleticsCap
Ealasaid  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAthleticsCap wrote:
This probably won't happen for me, but I'm definitely interested.

Problems: Parents (I'm not yet 16) and as stated before, individuals known through internet.

Hey, dude, if your parents are game, youhas and I are down with phone conversations and/or meeting for coffee so they can be impressed by how levelheaded and mature we are.

Hitoshura wrote:
I just got a newer-gen drum set (the one that you can purchase separately from the game), and the heads/pads definitely have more rebound than my first set, which makes playing much easier in general. I haven't really noticed any dropped hits so far. Also, I've got an Omega Pedal coming in the mail sometime soon, so once I get used to that my drumming should improve a lot (stock pedal is crap IMO on expert).

Awesome! Man, we are going to be EPIC with this many awesome people coming over. SO WIN!
-Questionable Content
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: CasaEalasaid ICQ Number
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about... [flips through calendar]... the weekend of June 20-22? That work for anybody?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: