37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 24

trofl  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
trofl wrote:
(Why yes, I do enjoy physics...)

I enjoy it too, I took many courses in physics and was thinking about minoring in it.

I'm trying to figure out what the equation in your avatar is. I see 'T' seems to be the temperature for some non ideal system (since Tf/pf = Ti/pi for ideal gas). R is the constant from nRT, cp is heat capacity at constant pressure. It looks to be an equation for some system changing in pressure and tempature, non-ideal, and directly tied in with heat gain/loss, but you can tell me for sure...

I am minoring in physics

Theta = Potential Temperature... given a parcel (or volume) of air at temperature T and pressure P, when the parcel is moved adiabatically to a pressure level of Po (usually defined at 1000mb), it will have this temperature represented by Theta. So this actually describes a system changing in pressure and temperature but without any heat transfer, although you're right about R and cp. We use this in meteorology a fair deal.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trofl wrote:
Theta = Potential Temperature... given a parcel (or volume) of air at temperature T and pressure P, when the parcel is moved adiabatically to a pressure level of Po (usually defined at 1000mb), it will have this temperature represented by Theta. So this actually describes a system changing in pressure and temperature but without any heat transfer, although you're right about R and cp. We use this in meteorology a fair deal.

Thank you, now my mind can rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all Greek to me ;)
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that has expanded my mind just a little bit. i understood everything from there until i saw the theta...i was thinking, WTF do angles have to do with tempratures and gas pressure. but you telling me abuot the potential tempreture expands my knowledge just a little. thats the kind of thing we don't learn in AP physics B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: