ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Great wuLFe Get-together (Part II)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

staticashes wrote:
dan are you and noah comin for sure

I'd like to. I haven't talked to Noah about it yet. I figured he'd get in on this thread, but I haven't seen him around here lately. I'll PM him.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

Huwonk  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 8th off yet. I'll let you guys know by Monday (boss is off today and tomorrow). If I can, count me in!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huwonk wrote:
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 8th off yet. I'll let you guys know by Monday (boss is off today and tomorrow). If I can, count me in!

Awesome. I have a pretty important class on the 8th anyway. But I'll tag along if you go, Noah.

staticashes  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i dont know if im gonna stay up all nite this time.....or maybe i will it was fun
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekovinc wrote:
Hmm.... This sounds fun. Not to mention I've been meaning to come to one of the OH gatherings, and this might be one of the last chances I have.

I don't suppose anyone from the Chicago area would want to come? EMan? (I know you aren't in Chicago, but you might want to come) It's a long ass drive from Minneapolis to Richmond. Not saying I wouldn't be willing to make it alone, but it wouldn't be a whole lot of fun, considering I don't have a radio in my car and my iPod is broken.

I'll give you a call and talk about it sometime soon wuLFe. could you PM me your number again? I got a new phone and somehow fried my SIMM card so I lost all my SH numbers

I wish that I could come to one of these events but I'm stuck all the way over here

And Kov!!! You're back!!!!! You really must have fallen off of the face of the earth for a few weeks...

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Armageddon  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekovinc wrote:
I don't suppose anyone from the Chicago area would want to come?

pope lives in Sleepy Hollow, Illinois, which is about an hour away from Chicago; and MrQuiet lives (somewhere) in Illinois, just so you know.

Last edited by Armageddon on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteLabel  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, i'm the organizer of the tournament here in Cincinnati. If anyone has any questions about the area i'll be happy to answer them. Also, if the people who are driving want to PM me, I'll give you my cell number so when you get into town you won't run into any problems like getting lost or finding good local cuisine.

I'd also be happy to answer questions in the thread.

For reference the official tourney myspace with the rules, times, etc is myspace.com/cincyguitarhero

BTW I-75 is definitely the easiest way to get to the Poison Room. Also, if it helps you the Poison Room is directly across the street from the Cincinnati Convention Center. The Duke Energy Center
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteLabel wrote:
Howdy, i'm the organizer of the tournament here in Cincinnati. If anyone has any questions about the area i'll be happy to answer them. Also, if the people who are driving want to PM me, I'll give you my cell number so when you get into town you won't run into any problems like getting lost or finding good local cuisine.

I'd also be happy to answer questions in the thread.

For reference the official tourney myspace with the rules, times, etc is myspace.com/cincyguitarhero

BTW I-75 is definitely the easiest way to get to the Poison Room. Also, if it helps you the Poison Room is directly across the street from the Cincinnati Convention Center. The Duke Energy Center
So is the age limit for that tourney 18?
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To WhiteLabel:

I see that the grand prize is $150. Are there second or third place prizes (seeing how there's $170 remaining from the 32 entry fees)?

Also, elevating difficulties each round is pretty lame. I could see how songs could be selected from tiers corresponding to each round (ex. Round 1 (Tiers 1 and 2), Round 2 (Tiers 3 and 4), Round 3 (Tiers 5 and 6), Round 4 (Tier 7), and Round 5: Final Round (Tier 8). But playing on Easy and Medium in a tournament is like standing a foot away from a dartboard in a tournament of darts. Hard isn't ideal, but at least there's some challenge involved (on higher tier songs).

But this setup might give me a chance to beat David or Mike, so whatever.

wuLFe  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteLabel - I'm guessing we'll be bringing at least six people along, so I will have to send you an e-mail once I have all the details, and hopefully be able to book up a few slots.

I'm fairly familiar with Cincinnatti (I dated somebody who lived there for about a year, and was there pretty much every weekend), but any suggestions you have for foodies., etc, will be much appreciated (not everybody likes Thai food,which is what my suggestion is going to be )

We'll also try and get there about an hour early, so that registration shouldn't be a problem :P
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
WhiteLabel  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tournament is all ages, anyone of any age can attend and compete. Being under 21 does require and extra $2.00 admission charge though.

There are other prizes including another cash prize of $50 dollars going to the second place winner. There will also be a prize given to the person who "rocks out" the hardest while competing.

The reason for the increasing difficulty serves two purposes.

One, it makes the tournament more accessible to beginning and average players to advance a few rounds in the tournament. Of course in the end they'll end up losing, but maybe when they see you five star hangar 18 on expert they might be inclined to practice a bit more and make it to the expert bracket in the next tournament. Making it more accessible like this means greater attendance, and a big crowd means more tournaments in the future.

Two, having increasing difficulties throws a wrench in the gears of even seasoned players. I know you can five star jordan on expert, but play it on easy or medium immediately after and see if you can score 100%. It's pretty damn hard. If you're not 100% practiced on all difficulties and all songs, there is that slight possibility that the 14 year old girl with the Hello Kitty purse might beat you.
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteLabel wrote:

One, it makes the tournament more accessible to beginning and average players to advance a few rounds in the tournament. Of course in the end they'll end up losing, but maybe when they see you five star hangar 18 on expert they might be inclined to practice a bit more and make it to the expert bracket in the next tournament. Making it more accessible like this means greater attendance, and a big crowd means more tournaments in the future.

Two, having increasing difficulties throws a wrench in the gears of even seasoned players. I know you can five star jordan on expert, but play it on easy or medium immediately after and see if you can score 100%. It's pretty damn hard. If you're not 100% practiced on all difficulties and all songs, there is that slight possibility that the 14 year old girl with the Hello Kitty purse might beat you.

I totally understand your first reason and it's perfectly acceptable from the business side of things, but any rational person can see the absurdity in your second reason. Although this is a Guitar Hero 2 tournament, which in theory should encompass all aspects of the game, a tournament should seek to find and award the best player of the game. While we may argue, I think most people would say that the best player on Expert Mode is the best Guitar Hero player period. It would be ridiculous to watch the 14 year old girl with the Hello Kitty purse go head to head in the finals with the 7 year old boy who's only ever played Easy and Medium difficulty. And even then, this scenario would be bad from a busines perspective because spectators would be less inclined to come back to watch another anti-climatic, unentertaining final.

Emptyeye  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(DISCLAIMER: I'm nowhere near this tournament, and as such, the rules don't affect me personally in the slightest)

It's a delicate balance, truthfully. I think maybe starting on Easy and Medium is going a bit far, but his heart is in the right place with not just starting on Expert. You can complain about luck in tournaments all you want, but the thing is, in order to maximize participation, spectators, excitement, etc, you NEED an element of SOME luck. Otherwise, if the best player was guaranteed to win every time, why bother holding tournaments in the first place?

I agree that the best player should have the best chance of winning, yes. But it shouldn't be guaranteed by any means; otherwise, just hand them the first prize and save yourself an entire day of formality to get to that point.

(Edited to correct typo. What the hell is a "firts" prize?)

Last edited by Emptyeye on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Emptyeye2112
WhiteLabel  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit it's an unstandard way to run a tournament. It's an idea I thought of while putting together a tournament and I'm running with it. I think it'll be fun. If it turns out to be a complete disaster then we'll know in the future to never ever run a tournament like this again.

I doubt the final will be anti climactic, most of the people expressing interest in coming are fairly seasoned players. I sincerly doubt many 14 year old girls will show up to compete... i'm just sayin'.

But for now, you may want to run through a few songs on easy and medium just to be ready. At this stage in the game i'm not really gonna change the rules for this tourney. If it's a wash, please mock me publically.
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is this tournament and can you pm or post directions to get there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events -> Get-togethers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: