ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A problem yet to be solved. (Fret buttons kaput.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: A problem yet to be solved. (Fret buttons kaput.) Reply with quote

Alright I haven't seen any posts on this so I made this one.

My story: About a week ago or so I was playing guitar hero on my red SG that came with my GHII, the tilt sensors (star power) weren't working anymore and i had failed about 12% earlier on Jordan than normal, so being the ignorant madman I am, I gave my SG a "love tap" on my knee seeing if it would fix my starpower problem. I then proceed to an attempt to restart the song, and whaddaya know? The fret buttons are shot now too! So after reseting my ps2 and unplugging the guitar, I performed a disection. To my eye (a very inexperienced one in the world of GH SG's anatomy) there was nothing wrong. (Note: This was thefirst time this guitar had been opened)

So, what I ask of you...

Has anyone on this forum heard of a problem like this?
Does anyone know any possible solutions?
Will red octane send me a replacement SG? (I doubt although there is a chance maybe?)
Also, can you buy just the SG's? Even though I still have 2 wireless guitars, one is fine and the other is a peice of shit, I would still like to have atleast ONE SG (my GHI SG got thrashed at a crazy party :P)

Any replies are appreciated.

EDIT: By the way, I can post pictures if the need be, just tell me what you need a picture of. I can only take them on my phone, but in a few days I'll have my camera back.
AlCapwned  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you deliver this "love tap"? And try to get a pic of the fret boards circuit board and the main circuit board.
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "love tap" was on the back of the guitar, around the middle, so under the main circuit board. Hold on a few minutes for the pictures. (Sorry if they are bad quality.)
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Circuit Board Front:

Main Circuit Board Back:

Fret Board Circuit Side 1:

Fret Board Circuit Side 2:
darkheart  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: A problem yet to be solved. (Fret buttons kaput.) Reply with quote

grenamuhnades wrote:
i had failed about 12% earlier on Jordan than normal

Sorry just had to post LMAO cause that is just to funny!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess, as I'd have to actually see the guitar in real life to know, would be to examine where the six wires from the frets connect on either side. Even though the contacts are glued over, look to see if the connection broke. Or if you have some scrap wire, open up practice mode with the guitar opened up and touch the wire to the fret contact and the ground and see if it lights up on the fret board.
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is I can't get into practice mode. It won't press green to get there, and I've tried switching the guitar into the first prt while it's a loading screen, but it still doesn't allow it.
AlCapwned  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just get to the opening theme, touch the wire to the green fret and to the ground, and see if it skips the opening.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although your pics are fuzzy, I see one spot that looks bad. It's the one circled in red. Check the connections of all these wires and resolder the broken ones.
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just firgured out it's only my green, red, and yellow fret buttons that aren't working. (First screen "Press any button to begin" all other frets and buttons work besides the green, red, and yellow frets)

So from the wires off the fret circuit board, which ones are for the green, red, and yellow frets? I think I have an idea and that connection looks pretty roughed up, but I am not 100% sure so I want to clarify.

Also, will electrical tape work in place of sodering? I do not have a sodering gun openly available.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the green, red, AND yellow frets which are not working.
AlCapwned  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if its broken at the contact, you'll need to solder, if its broken mid-wire, you'd be able to tape it. But from what it seems, its the contact. I'm not sure which wires correspond, so someone else will have to help you there. The upside is that you can buy RO controllers for about $30 >_>

EDIT: Oh and the wire you circled goes to select and start I believe. If not that, then the whammy bar.
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help AlCapwned, I'm going to try a few things, but I think my good ol' SG has seen the last of its many days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: