Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
I Pledge Allegiance...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K1NGKONG  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: I Pledge Allegiance... Reply with quote

So today, like everyday, I was in 2nd period and the announcements came on and told everyone to stand up for the Pledge.

I sat down throughout the thing like always, not saying a word, while my naggy ex told me the whole time to get up as I was being disrespectful. I didn't feel like arguing with her so I just told her she was being disrespectful by talking during it and then she shut up.

After it was over she told me that I had no respect for the soldiers in Iraq risking their lives for me because I did not stand up or Pledge Allegiance. This is about the exact opposite of how I feel about our armed forces, I have the utmost respect for anyone risking their lives for our country.

So this all passes by, and about 15 minutes later in class, my teacher calls me up to her desk and asks me if there was any certain reason I didn't stand for the Pledge today. I responded with a no, and then she said that she would appreciate me doing it because it showed respect for our country. She was very nice about it, so I just said sure I will from now on.

Anyway, this has all led up to the question:

How do you feel about standing during the Pledge? Is it disrespectful to sit down? What about stand up and not say a word?

Idk.
Discuss!

Tap TtFaF intro [x]
Pass TtFaF [x]
5* Expert setlist [x]
FC 20 Songs [x]
FC 25 Songs [x]
FC 30 Songs []
5* TWiE [-] (335k)
FC something hard [opinion really, still a no in my book]
Pass TtFaF consistently [x]
zYgote  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.

The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, not standing up for the Pledge of Allegiance is disrespectful. The question, then, is what are you being disrespectful toward? The country, in general? That's a pretty ambiguous thought. The President? Perhaps, no one can blame you for that. The armed forces? If that's your perogative, sure, but you claim that it's not about the troops. American policies and the Congress that supports them? Another perhaps; the Congressional approval rating hasn't been very high recently. My guess is that you're either looking for attention or you feel strongly about some of these issues. I would lean toward the first reason, since you're in high school (right?) and high school is all about looking cool. You can help shed more light on all of this, though.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

jesse0986  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly interested in getting into a debate about etiquette or anything, but I'm just curious what reason you have for not standing. I know you told the teacher you don't have a reason but I frankly don't buy that; there has to be something that makes you decide to not stand.
K1NGKONG  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't stand up because I believe the Pledge is a joke, and saying doesn't mean I respect/disrespect anything more or less than if I were or were not to say it.

It seems pointless to me is why I don't stand for it.

Tap TtFaF intro [x]
Pass TtFaF [x]
5* Expert setlist [x]
FC 20 Songs [x]
FC 25 Songs [x]
FC 30 Songs []
5* TWiE [-] (335k)
MrJiggles4  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually stand but when I don't it is due to pure lazyness cause I am really tired

Holy Shite I got sigged...eight times
Goal: Get Sigged 10 Times [ ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mr Jiggles4
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about just being grateful to live in America, grateful to those who died in winning our freedom from England and keeping it secure in conflicts afterwards. It's a tradition. You may not want to take part because you're an adolescent. Adolescents are supposed to question authority, norms, etc. Great. Do you really not feel one way or another about being born in a privileged country, being able to elect your leaders, and everything else that goes along with living in America? We have some corruption, other problems, sure, but at the end of the day it's still great to live here. I would second notions to ask yourself why it is you think you shouldn't stand up. Saying I don't know why I do something isn't reason to stop doing it.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

jesse0986  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1NGKONG wrote:
Honestly I don't stand up because I believe the Pledge is a joke, and saying doesn't mean I respect/disrespect anything more or less than if I were or were not to say it.

Fair enough, how long have you felt that way? Surely at some point you were more than willing to stand, like in elementary school or something.

I think part of the reason this happens (not just with you but with everyone) is that students (specifically teenagers) often harbor some kind of resentment against being told what to do. They're getting to the age where they can start thinking for themselves and they don't like to be told what's acceptable and what's not, even if they've been told since kindergarten that they have to do something like stand for the Pledge.

I don't think there's any harm to you or your fellow classmates if you decide to just stand but not recite. Seems like a reasonable balance.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1NGKONG wrote:

It is just a sign of respect for living in a great country. It may seem like, why should I respect our country right now, it seems like we are headed into a second depression and everything is going down the tubes. (what tubes? /carlin) But think of the bigger picture, would you rather be in the US where you are free to do what you want, you can get good clean water anytime of the day, you have clean restrooms, a house over your head, stuff like that; or live in a country where you have to hike miles to get water, you don't have plumbing, you have no freedom or there are even extreme circumstances such as genocide.
The pledge is just to show appreciation for things like that, in my opinion.

Edit: I need to type faster, more or less Ninja'd
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
K1NGKONG  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse0986 wrote:
Fair enough, how long have you felt that way? Surely at some point you were more than willing to stand, like in elementary school or something.

I would say about 8th grade year I started wondering why I was doing this, because the reason I was, was because I was being told to.

I'm in my sophomore year now by the way.

And that's what I was thinking, yes I agree that as a teenager I have been questioning a lot of things lately, as much as I hate succumbing to another stereotypical teenager trait, I seem to be.

As far as the respecting our country and the privledge to live in it goes, I've never really considered that, and I guess that would be my fault. It would be extremely shitty to be born in a 3rd world country or somewhere where I couldn't control the food that I ate, or anything else of that nature. So with that in mind, I'll probably say the Pledge tomorrow.

Tap TtFaF intro [x]
Pass TtFaF [x]
5* Expert setlist [x]
FC 20 Songs [x]
FC 25 Songs [x]
FC 30 Songs []
5* TWiE [-] (335k)
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1NGKONG wrote:
So with that in mind, I'll probably say the Pledge tomorrow.

*High Five*
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
thegibbonator  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an American, so I'm probably not the best person to try to answer this question: Why is the Pledge mandatory? In England, people are patriotic out of free choice. I'm not a huge patriot, but I enjoy living in my country and I'm grateful for what I've got in life. However, if somebody was forcing me to say I loved the country and the Queen, I'd probably end up hating it, even though it's a great country to live in. Do any Americans feel the same way about the States, that they'd support it much more if they weren't being forced to in the first place?

My last.fm profile. My musical taste is obviously superior to everybody else's. Even if it does include black metal, classical and synthpop.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegibbonator wrote:
I'm not an American, so I'm probably not the best person to try to answer this question: Why is the Pledge mandatory? In England, people are patriotic out of free choice. I'm not a huge patriot, but I enjoy living in my country and I'm grateful for what I've got in life. However, if somebody was forcing me to say I loved the country and the Queen, I'd probably end up hating it, even though it's a great country to live in. Do any Americans feel the same way about the States, that they'd support it much more if they weren't being forced to in the first place?

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. I don't wanna be forced to say how much i love my country. And I think there's a good explanation of the pledge in Barbaloot's sig. But, I think the kids that say this don't even get that they're being forced to pledge their alliance to America, when, in all honesty, that shouldn't be a mandatory thing.
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the Pledge of Allegiance?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarroker wrote:
What's the Pledge of Allegiance?

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the Republic
For which in stands
One Nation
Under God
Indivisible
With Liberty
And Justice
For all

Most, if not all schools ask/require their students/faculty to say it at some point during the day, more commonly in the morning.

Tap TtFaF intro [x]
Pass TtFaF [x]
5* Expert setlist [x]
FC 20 Songs [x]
FC 25 Songs [x]
FC 30 Songs []
5* TWiE [-] (335k)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: