ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Music video games set for an encore (USA Today article)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duck  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Music video games set for an encore (USA Today article) Reply with quote

dont know if anyone saw this, but it was in the paper today (10/21/08)

Quote:
New Versions, titles joining in

The beat goes on in the thriving music video game category.

New editions of the hot-selling Guitar Hero and Rock Band are in stores or on the way, as is a new music maker: Wii Music for the still wildly sought after Nintendo game system.

Also in time for the holidays:
Rock Revolution, a full-band game from the publishers of Dance Dance Revolution (game only out now, $50, for Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360; with drum kit, $130 out Nov. 11)
PopStar Guitar, which attaches a guitar fret pad to the Wii remote (next month, $60, for PS2, $30).
And Disney's Ultimate Band (later this year, $50, for Wii), which like Wii Music uses just the Wii remote and nunchuk attachment.

"There are a lot of new games coming out for this genre," says Anita Franzier of market tracking firm NPD Group. "Some will do well, some won't. The challenge for each newcomer to the genre is to differentiate and communicate how it's special or brings some new magic to the table."

Music-game sales have risen from $132 million in 2005, when Hero was first released, to more than $1.2 billion last year and $896 million so far this year. The category, Frezier says, "was very small before Guitar Hero and Rock Band came on the scene."

Those two games have captured the imagination of armchair musicians by including ever-more realistic instrument-shaped controllers. Rock Band 2 (game only, $60, for Xbox 360 and just released for PS3; out in December for Wii and PS2) can be played with the original Rock Band instruments, but for $190 comes with new drums, guitar and microphone (add-on cymbals sold separately.

Guitar Hero World Tour
(game only, $50-60, out Sunday for Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, and PS2; $190 for drums guitar and microphone) also lets up to four play. Rock Revolution can be played with other games' controllers, but its own drum kit uses more drum pads (six) than other games.

Wii Music (in stores by Wednesday, $50) lets up to four play 60 instruments such as piano, violin, guitar and horns in various music types (pop, classical, jazz) using the remote and nunchuk. for guitars, players hold the left hand up as if the nunchuk is the neck of the instrument and strum with the right hand while holding the remote and holding in a button.

"Why shouldn't people who lie music but find playing instruments difficult be able tp perform music just by lettering their feelings take control and simply waving the contollers?" producer Shigeru Miyamoto says.

there was more but it just talks about the similarities between GHWT and RB2 and i didnt want this thread to turn out to be a game war. (mods: if it DOES happen...feel free to lock if needed of course.)

i just thought it was interesting to know that more games are coming out like Wii Music, i might have to end up getting that
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
Cliff  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Music video games set for an encore (USA Today article) Reply with quote

Quote:
Wii Music (in stores by Wednesday, $50) lets up to four play 60 instruments such as piano, violin, guitar and horns in various music types (pop, classical, jazz)

OK, that's awesome.

Quote:
using the remote and nunchuk.

And that's not.
kaflagemeir  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that in the distance? Oh!
It's the bandwagon! (lol band) Everyone jump on!

You could say I'm excited that people are expanding in to the music genre ,but I'm just not sure.
If it's a good game, then yeah, I'll like it. But if it's awful (OXM gave Rock Revolution a 4/10) then why even try? >.>

And Cliff, it's a game for the WII. What did you expect it to use?
Cliff  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^60 different peripherals, obviously.
reikonkeiri  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^lol. and if you preorder it you get 50% off so it's only $5000

Also, lmfao at a Disney band game. Good thing Wii's reputation already sucks =/
geome  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii Music isn't going to have a point system of any sort, I believe, you sort of just play along.
TJShultz  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reikonkeiri wrote:

This is the first, and will be the last, console-bashing post in this thread. Next person to travel that route is taking a vacation.

With that said, since this is primarily about video games (and, specifically, rhythm games), I'm moving it into that subforum.

1) You're using numbers in place of words.
2) You're spelling at the second grade level.
3) You're posting in CAPS.
4) This post is in the wrong place, and should have been in Software.

Conclusion: Custom songs are not your "cup of tea", and I'd suggest undertaking a much more simpler hobby. Perhaps tree watching.

Last edited by TJShultz on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaflagemeir  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reikonkeiri wrote:

Last I checked, if your system was/maybe still is the highest selling system, it doesn't have a Bad Reputation by Joan Jett or Thin Lizzy.
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaflagemeir wrote:
reikonkeiri wrote:

Last I checked, if your system was/maybe still is the highest selling system, it doesn't have a Bad Reputation by Joan Jett or Thin Lizzy.
...A mod already posted in here about console bashing and duck even said to shut down the thread if game wars started... >______________<

Anyways, I would like to comment on the idea that the Music and Party genre wasn't that big until GH. I'm going to call it BS right now(No offense). Mario Party? Hell yeahz, that was a huge game. It fits under the Music genre. So does Dance Dance Revolution and Drummania, sure both of these games weren't that popular but I don't think Guitar Hero started the spur. I just think it gave it a little boost. Make that a large boost. But seriously, DDR and Party games started it all. Not Guitar Hero.

Also, 896 Billion already? That's alot seeing that RB2 isn't fully out, GH:WT isn't even out yet and Rock Revolution also isn't fully out. I'm guessing the Music Game Business is the way to go for moneyz.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^You're arguing against two different statements. You first say it's BS to say Guitar Hero is responsible for the popularity of music games, then you say you're arguing against the belief that it started music games. And it's foolish to say that the Guitar Hero series isn't responsible for the explosion of popularity of rhythm games in America. Let's just say you wouldn't find a DDR setup at a frat party, and you're now hard-pressed to not find a Guitar Hero or Rock Band in the same environment.

Also, Mario Party isn't a "music game." Not even close, unless you're talking about the ONE minigame in which you were in an orchestra. And the other one where you dance or something?
duck  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, im still waiting for Bongo Hero: Donkey Kong

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
felixdaman18  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
personally, im still waiting for Bongo Hero: Donkey Kong

that's already out
there is two of them
CSL10137  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Wii Music thing sounds kinda cool.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Lombardi10137
ddrsensation  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me demands moar DDR
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 6027399410921283
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: