ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bass Pedal Technique? And more >_<

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swordchucks4life  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Bass Pedal Technique? And more >_< Reply with quote

Alright, I've played a bit of RB1 drums and was able to pass everything on hard, and never really got around to working through expert, so I have all the basics down, but when it comes to what the "best" way is to do things, I have no idea. I've never played real drums, and have no real background info, so I'm just not sure on a couple things.

First off, think in terms of the WT drum set if it ever makes a difference, that's what I'm using.

1. For the bass pedal, should I keep my heel planted, and use an ankle motion to press it down, or lift my entire leg for each note? And should my resting position be with the pedal down or up?

2. Where should I be holding the sticks? After seeing Chris' most recent drum video of I THINK Panic Attack (I'm unfamiliar with RB2, so the names have yet to stick), the comments were basically one big list of why he should hold the sticks different, so that made me a bit curious :P

3. Drums rolls. I have only just started my WTX career, so these have yet to come up, but in songs like TKAR and RTTH in RB1, these were very big problems. I'm in no way asking for a miracle "do it this way and FC every song ever" tip, just something to get me headed in the right direction so I can practice the right way (same with the above things). Just any tips you can give me here on what muscles to use, how to hold the sticks, etc. etc. etc. would be great.

Obviously even if I knew everything about drums, the key is still going to be practice practice practice, but if I'm practicing wrong, then I'm going to hit a wall down the road, at which point it will be much harder to relearn how to play than if I just played that way from the start.

And this isn't meant to be something similar to a "How should I tap this", or "Should I learn to Alt-strum" thread, I just want to know if there are any agreed upon methods to help me out in the long run

GH Accomplishments
RB Accomplishments

XBL Gamertag: Swordchucks27

"It's not what you think, I know it looks like we're cleaning dishes but actually we're having sex" -Dr. Gregory House
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Swordchucks27
zepp3lin526  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot easier on your leg to lift up the entire leg to play a bass kick. It gives you far more endurance, especially for songs like trapped under ice which is fast straight 8th notes on the pedal the entire song. The heel-planted method is traditionally used in some cases for slower songs (on the real drums that is). It may take getting used to but keeping your toes planted and lifting up your leg is definitely where you want to be in the long run.
AdamTL7  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bass Pedal Technique? And more >_< Reply with quote

swordchucks4life wrote:
1. For the bass pedal, should I keep my heel planted, and use an ankle motion to press it down, or lift my entire leg for each note? And should my resting position be with the pedal down or up?

2. Where should I be holding the sticks? After seeing Chris' most recent drum video of I THINK Panic Attack (I'm unfamiliar with RB2, so the names have yet to stick), the comments were basically one big list of why he should hold the sticks different, so that made me a bit curious :P

3. Drums rolls. I have only just started my WTX career, so these have yet to come up, but in songs like TKAR and RTTH in RB1, these were very big problems. I'm in no way asking for a miracle "do it this way and FC every song ever" tip, just something to get me headed in the right direction so I can practice the right way (same with the above things). Just any tips you can give me here on what muscles to use, how to hold the sticks, etc. etc. etc. would be great.

1 - It's personal preference. I use my whole leg to prevent shin cramps.

2 - You should hold them at the point where they get the most bounce. Also hold them loosely.

3 - Wrist motion. Try not to flail your arms with rolls, just try to move your wrists fast to the beat. Try to hold them loosely, and make sure that they bounce when you hit them! If this is your drum stick,

^
|
|
|
|
|<------Grip your thumb and index here.
|
|

I find thats where the most bounce occurs. And DO NOT TIGHTEN YOUR GRIP. Make sure its loose enough to bounce.

I might want to make a video on all of this...

^Thanks to MSH-Hitman for this.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Luptak Attack
swordchucks4life  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks guys, yeah with the bass pedal I had been keeping my heel planted which worked for the most part, but tired out VERY quickly on anything fast.

And Adam, thanks for the stick advice, that's exactly what I was looking for, I think I have the general idea of what you meant, and I'm guessing the rest is just figuring it out for myself. A video would be very helpful though if it's not too much work, that would be sweet!

GH Accomplishments
RB Accomplishments

XBL Gamertag: Swordchucks27

"It's not what you think, I know it looks like we're cleaning dishes but actually we're having sex" -Dr. Gregory House
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Swordchucks27
tordana  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing regarding stick holding technique (coming from a percussion minor in college):

If playing on one drum, the sticks are held so they form a 90 degree angle at the center of the drum. This basic position is moved around from drum to drum, so the angle changes but your hand will be held kind of the same way.

There are three ways of angling your HAND. Hold your hand out, palm down. Extend all your fingers, and look at your thumb -- parallel to the floor. Relaxing your fingers around the drumstick gives French(I think? bad with the names) grip. At the other extreme, rotate your hand so your thumb points straight UP and then relax fingers around the stick, keeping your thumb facing up as you play. This is German (also could be wrong on the name) grip. I tend to use this one for playing cymbal patterns. In between those, with the thumb at a 45 degree angle, is the American (that one is for sure) grip, which is most commonly used and most comfortable for most people.

Also, when hitting the pads make sure the motion is coming from your WRIST, not your ARM. This allows you to go much faster and with much greater endurance.

Hope that helps!
xredsox1983  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry about the drum rolls..hold the sticks loose...it's very strange..i had a very hard time keeping streaks in RB when it came to rolls...but when i play WT. it seems to be easier to do rolls than in RB.
Ellemennt75  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play songs that are slow, I always rest my foot on the pedal when it's all the way down, which helps me alot. I had to tell my foot to do it the first 3 days, but now it's a habbit, which is a great thing. On songs like TUI or Overkill, I rock my whole body back and forth on accident, which seems to help me, I guess. For the rolls, just think about the rhythm, and try to keep it going. For someone who doesn't play drums, like me, that can be a little hard, but that's what practice mode is for, right?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Ellemennt75
sXeSTI  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xredsox1983 wrote:
dont worry about the drum rolls..hold the sticks loose...it's very strange..i had a very hard time keeping streaks in RB when it came to rolls...but when i play WT. it seems to be easier to do rolls than in RB.

I had the same problem with fills in rock band, I just couldn't hit them for the life of me. For some reason I can actually hit them with ease in WT. I concur with lifting the leg for bass pedal activations, I find that my leg doesn't tire out as easily doing it that way.
PhatTrumpet  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, we can tell you this and that, and maybe half of it will make sense and/or sink in, but I think the best way to learn stuff like this is to just watch someone who knows what they're doing. Go to youtube and look up a studio video of Mike Portnoy or something; check out one of Egyokeo's numerous videos; whatever. Even though real drumming technique may not necessarily transfer directly to fake rhythm game drums, it's probably the best place to start.

Regarding the ease of fills in GHWT vs. RB, just another example of how much easier Neversoft's engine is. (Note that I'm not claiming that either one is better than the other.)
Bass:      9,226,503 [58 GS, 57 FC]  13,319,824 [83 GS, 83 FC]  22,546,327 [141GS, 140FC]
Drums:    11,105,579 [57 GS, 37 FC]  15,512,780 [76 GS, 36 FC]  26,618,359 [133GS, 73 FC]
Vocals:   11,525,519 [58 GS, 58 FC]  17,302,340 [84 GS, 84 FC]  28,827,859 [142GS, 142FC]
All-Inst: 42,269,027 [231GS, 206FC]  61,262,972 [326GS, 271FC] 103,531,999 [557GS, 477FC]
Rock Band Accomplishments Thread | Guitar Hero Accomplishments Thread
HellnFire666  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhatTrumpet wrote:

Regarding the ease of fills in GHWT vs. RB, just another example of how much easier Neversoft's engine is. (Note that I'm not claiming that either one is better than the other.)

Well, also, the WT set works so much better with rolls it isn't even funny. I went back and easily FC'd the TKAR drum rolls with WT set, tried again with RB set, got 1 4x going, never got to 3x after that.
tordana  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely something with the engine, I NEVER miss 16th notes on the red pad in WT (using RB1 drums!) when I would ALWAYS drop notes in rock band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: