ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Scoring, Star Power, and Squeezing on Drums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRYBOPandRYBOGP wrote:
But what if I hit the note twice in the time window? Like or + Bass Pedal.

Also, how big are timing windows?

Well try it. You will most likely break combo if you hit again. On one of the notes just hit YO and see if the note disappears and you activate SP. If it doesn't disappear then hit again and the note WILL count under SP as long as it was activated correctly the first time.

Well, the exact timing window is nearly impossible to prove, but if it's the same timing window as GH3 and GH:A, then it's about 1/9 of a second on each side of the note. Meaning you can hit a note 1/9 of a second early or 1/9 of a second late and still hit the note.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have discovered that you CAN hit a note twice within the timing window without beaking combo. The only reason I know this is because I was using my extranal drum kit and it was sending 2 MIDI note messages @0.1s apart. When I played in easy, I could hit the note early and it would not break combo on the 2nd hit. I tried playing in medium and my combo reset every single note I hit because the 2nd hit was no longer falling within the timing window! I have since solved this problem and have been progressing through Medium carerr on my real drums...
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABee1010 wrote:
I happen to have discovered that you CAN hit a note twice within the timing window without beaking combo. The only reason I know this is because I was using my extranal drum kit and it was sending 2 MIDI note messages @0.1s apart. When I played in easy, I could hit the note early and it would not break combo on the 2nd hit. I tried playing in medium and my combo reset every single note I hit because the 2nd hit was no longer falling within the timing window! I have since solved this problem and have been progressing through Medium carerr on my real drums...

This is very interesting, but I have one question. Why would being on the medium career affect the timing window? Different difficulties all have the same timing window.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed something very very interesting today while i was playing.

normally, before a song starts, or in the free play sections, if I do a buzz roll (where you press the stick into the kit to get as many bounces as possible)
most or all of the notes will be registered.

I was playing a song today, and I broke my combo on a song i was trying to FC, so i started messing around. A moderately fast roll came up, and i tried buzz rolling the whole thing, which should break my combo multiple times, BUT, somehow, I combo'd the whole thing.

Any idea how?
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oopogfe wrote:
I noticed something very very interesting today while i was playing.

normally, before a song starts, or in the free play sections, if I do a buzz roll (where you press the stick into the kit to get as many bounces as possible)
most or all of the notes will be registered.

I was playing a song today, and I broke my combo on a song i was trying to FC, so i started messing around. A moderately fast roll came up, and i tried buzz rolling the whole thing, which should break my combo multiple times, BUT, somehow, I combo'd the whole thing.

Any idea how?

Well, I've never heard of a buzz roll before to be completely honest. First of all, which kit are you using and which kits have there been reports of this working on? I don't think I've necessarily tried this on my WT kit, but I've never noticed something like this happening before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be a buzz roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEIuuerxYUM

I'm using the world tour kit, and I think this has more to do with the software than the kit. I think that if you hit notes close enough together, it won't overhit. I'll test this out more next time I play.

I forgot to mention that it did overhit at the end of the roll, while switching to a different pad.
omgChezMix  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there have been some times where I definitely overdrummed but still kept combo. I'm glad to see it's not just me going crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things:

1) I have confirmed that you will not lose combo if you hit a pad twice within the timing window.

2) I suspect that if the roll was fast enough, the timing windows of each note would overlap and that would explain why you don't break combo by playing too fast.

What do you think?
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABee1010 wrote:
2 things:

1) I have confirmed that you will not lose combo if you hit a pad twice within the timing window.

2) I suspect that if the roll was fast enough, the timing windows of each note would overlap and that would explain why you don't break combo by playing too fast.

What do you think?

So if you are able to hit the pad twice without breaking combo, I'm assuming nothing different is happening, correct? That note still doesn't count under SP and nothing has really changed, you just hit the pad a second time.

I'm not really very knowledgeable about the overhits and the timing window having to do with that so I really don't know about number 2. If I have time tonight I'll do some testing and see what I can come up with.

Abe:

I'll try and test what you said as well, seeing as how you are very confident in your theory.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do a ton of tinkering to get my e-drum kit to properly work with guitar hero and stumbled on a couple of things like that, but it works great now!!!

I think it is safe to assume that if the notes are close enough the timing windows will overlap, the question is how close is close enough. In fact, I am now wondering if this theory is true for guitar also...
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABee1010 wrote:
I had to do a ton of tinkering to get my e-drum kit to properly work with guitar hero and stumbled on a couple of things like that, but it works great now!!!

I think it is safe to assume that if the notes are close enough the timing windows will overlap, the question is how close is close enough. In fact, I am now wondering if this theory is true for guitar also...

I don't think I fully understand why timing windows overlapping would affect how many times you can hit a note. Could you explain it to me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will attempt graphically. The bars above the notes represent the timing window. I am exaggerating the length timing window for the purpose of the illustration. In reality it would start and stop just before and just after the note.

So notes that are spaced out would look like this:
{-----------} {-----------} {-----------}

Now if the notes are close enough together it would look like this:
{---------{--}---------{--}---------}

So the question is. Is the timing window wide enough and do the notes ever get close enough so this situation occurs? And if it does occur, does it mean that it is impossible to overstrum? I might try to post this up in the guitar thread to see if the experts have a comment. I could probably also prove this true or false with the combination of the song creator feature and creating a midi file on my computer that would output notes really fast...
omgChezMix  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is related, but sometimes when I break combo during the 16th note yellows in Everlong, it'll think that I'm going for the note that already scrolled by which results in me continually breaking combo . I have to completely stop for a second and let it "reset" to get back on track. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if that has something to do with the overlapping windows.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not experienced that, but it sounds like you are hitting the note a hair early, thus it counts for the previous note instead of the one you intend due to the previous notes timing window. This would actually imply that the timing window IS NOT overlapping for the 16th notes you are playing. I may just have to figure all this out one day, but for now I am having fun playing the game and not ready for academic endevors that will take away from my precious playing time!!!
quade92  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on hitting the uncharted note before the charted one for activating SP. It's always been a real pain to do 3/4 of a 6 minute song for your NS to be shattered by attempting to activate start power HOW THE GAME TELLS YOU TOO.

Activision says: ' Hit both cymbals at the same time to activate star power '..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Quade92
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: