ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Scoring, Star Power, and Squeezing on Drums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaLKuLuZ  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol and I thought I had stumbled upon something new, looks like everyone knows how to sqeeze

Anyway, has anyone had any problems with the second quick riff on Anything? It seems like the game just stops recognizing that youre playing for maybe 2 seconds........which is just like the BYOB Send the Poor sections.

Also, I think the timing window is also broken more than we think. I've had multiple occasions where I've hit notes VERY late; and later on in the song, I will try to hit them in the same place, and the game will not pick the hits up. Same thing occurs when I try to hit them early. It's as if the game decides whether or not it wants you to keep combo
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLKuLuZ wrote:
lol and I thought I had stumbled upon something new, looks like everyone knows how to sqeeze

Anyway, has anyone had any problems with the second quick riff on Anything? It seems like the game just stops recognizing that youre playing for maybe 2 seconds........which is just like the BYOB Send the Poor sections.

Well in the 2 parts that you named it's very difficult to keep a consistent beat and despite the large timing window, it seems that even if you're slightly off it will miss every note for you. It may be because the game thinks you are trying to go for a note that has already passes the screen and so it misses, despite the fact that you were within the timing window range of the next note after it. If you play it correctly then you will be hitting it. There have been quite a few glitches so far with WT, so I wouldn't be too surprised if this is another one of them.

I have personally FCed the Send the Poor sections, however, so I would guess that you're just going off beat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I never FC Send the Poor but I also never die. I never even get to x2.

¯\(°_o)/¯

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
At this point I never FC Send the Poor but I also never die. I never even get to x2.

¯\(°_o)/¯

My best advice: Go faster.

I was failing like crazy and then I decided to try and go super fast and, well, it worked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that. I was just saying that because the conventional wisdom says you either die or FC the part. I do neither.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Pas26  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump to know if I have to do bass front-end squeeze in GH:M. If a note is hit during the free time, will it count as a note under SP?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it does in SH, so I assume it does in GHM. Just play a song in which you gain SP fairly quick and know you can FC up until the activation. 1 run go up until the point where you'd activate and stop playing past the note. Record the score, then do the same thing but activate on the same note and quit playing and compare the scores.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anybody else said this before me (probably not), but there is an even more complex way of front-end squeezing, using the fact that you don't have to hit both cymbals at the *exact* same time to activate SP.

I've been trying to beat my old score on About a Girl so it would be on the PSN leaderboards. My highscore is 289,052 (offline run) but I always seem to get about 200 points less when I try to beat it, while I'm absolutely positive I hit the front-end and back-end squeeze.

Now I just realized how it is possible to get the first yellow note under SP and still hit the back-end squeeze, resulting in a 200 point increase in your score, I'd like to call this optimal-squeezing. I'll use About a Girl as an example:

You want to activate SP right before the first R+Y after you hit the second SP phrase (according to my path on pathhero). Usually you'd hit both cymbals right before the R+Y note, the yellow note would then 'disappear' early because you hit it while activating SP, after that you'd hit the red note, which is then under SP.

Optimal-squeezing is more complex and you'd have to be a master in this or be very lucky to pull it off. Again, you want to activate right before the first R+Y, now here's the trick: hit the yellow cymbal slightly outside of the timing window so the yellow note of the R+Y 'chord' won't disappear early. Right after that, hit the orange cymbal INside the timing window of the R+Y 'chord' (resulting in SP being activated), or it won't be possible to hit the back-end R+Y squeeze. Then hit the R+Y as you normally would, resulting in both notes being under SP and giving you 200 points more.

This is, of course, extremely difficult to do and, as far as I know, I've only done it once, being very lucky (with my 1st place About a Girl highscore). It's very difficult to master but with, say, Hail to the Freaks, you could get up to 386480 points (as opposed to 385880, when squeezing regularly) if you manage to optimal-squeeze during every SP activation, so mastering this technique is worth your time if you want to go for a truly optimal score.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that for all my activations, I thought it was well-known.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's a reason you got global 1st on so many songs with the RB drums...

So what happened to your GH:WT kit? You posted about 30 scores and then stopped. I want to know if I really deserve my 27 global 1st scores :P
knightmetallica3  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am first on Expert + songs combined and almost first on ALL of the songs. (first all gigs and top 4 all songs) I never squeez...
I focus more on hitting the notes and the actual star power path then squez's. Drums get so much points, you don't need to squeez.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: knightrocker33
Pas26  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knightmetallica3 wrote:
I am first on Expert + songs combined and almost first on ALL of the songs. (first all gigs and top 4 all songs) I never squeez...
I focus more on hitting the notes and the actual star power path then squez's. Drums get so much points, you don't need to squeez.

You don't need to squiz if you don't FC, or if you are the only drummer able to FC a song. Like Danny with DWDTG, he don't need to squeeze at all.

However, If you want to beat stuff like the first place score on nothing else matters (WT kit), you need to squeeze, path, and be good at filling. I FCed this 5 times and I didn't even come close to first place (2nd, 1k behind).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarlordTm wrote:
Maybe there's a reason you got global 1st on so many songs with the RB drums...

So what happened to your GH:WT kit? You posted about 30 scores and then stopped. I want to know if I really deserve my 27 global 1st scores :P

They've gotten completely destroyed beyond repair, which is a shame because I love that pedal and can't really use double bass on the RB drums without buying something expensive. The way things are going, I probably won't have any money for a new set until GH5 comes out--even then I don't know.

knightmetallica3  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
knightmetallica3 wrote:

You don't need to squiz if you don't FC, or if you are the only drummer able to FC a song. Like Danny with DWDTG, he don't need to squeeze at all.

However, If you want to beat stuff like the first place score on nothing else matters (WT kit), you need to squeeze, path, and be good at filling. I FCed this 5 times and I didn't even come close to first place (2nd, 1k behind).

thats a lot of quoting so no more of that...but yeah, that is a good point. If you are going for first on a SONG, not career, then yes squeezing is important, I guess. I don't go for first on songs, unless they are imposable...then I do, but thats off topic.
Squeezing all depends on what you are going for YAY!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: knightrocker33
prognostics  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the orange cymbol was worth more.
That's really interesting. I already knew about the bass but...

thanks a lot, I enjoyed the whole post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: