ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Learning better bass pedal rhythm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronvtec  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Learning better bass pedal rhythm? Reply with quote

Hi all, very new to drums, just played for the first time when I got WT when it came out - never played a real drumset or even any RB/RB2 drums so I'm totally green at this stuff. I started on Easy for 2 songs, went to Medium, then tried Expert because my friends said they couldn't last 10 seconds in a song I passed probably the easiest song in the game (About a Girl) but it left me wanting more.

To this point, I've learned a lot and can pass Cyanide, All Nightmare Long, and Hot for Teacher on X. However, when it comes to songs like The Kill, Purple Haze, etc... the lack of a consistent beat to the bass pedal just throws me entirely off. I guess what I'm looking for is any guidance or suggested songs I could learn from on WT with bass pedal rhythms that aren't constant through the song? Also, I'm sure this is just a matter of practice but I am the fail at "open" bass notes where it's quickly followed or preceded by a note. My timing is terrible on those and I don't know if it's just me but the rock meter seems a lot more sensitive on drums than guitar but who knows. Anyway, thanks for any advice you all can provide.

Off topic but I hear a lot of complaints about the WT drums and drum kit but I guess I'm pleasantly ignorant - I think they're effing awesome and it makes the game a ton more fun to play than if it just had the guitar tracks we were given. Thanks again!

Edit - figured I should explain something else, my problem with my bass pedal rhythm is that my legs and arms seem to want to move in sync but that isn't ideal - is that something I can practice my way out of?
gazzer  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is that playing the drums on a game like this is closer to the real thing than the guitars are, and as such take alot longer to grasp.

Get yourself in practice mode I guess! When I play drums (real ones) they key to getting your feet to move independently was trying to feel the song rather than rigidly play it. The problem with that is on GH:WT you can't play the bass pedal whenever you want.

Maybe just sit at the kit and jam out some rhythms yourself as if they were a set of practice pads? Look at some drum lessons on the internet - there are many on youtube to see, as well as drum tabs.

tordana  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just started playing drums and can pass H4T on Expert... :O

I think just keep working and you'll get it, you're a freaking natural.

With that said, the best thing to do to improve coordination is go get yourself a copy of "Stick Control for the Modern Snare Drummer" (don't let Modern fool you, it's about 100 years old lol). Use the first page, memorize it, and practice. It contains sticking patterns: RLRL, RLRR, RRLL, etc. Now, what to do with those patterns? Everywhere you see R, hit your foot. L, hit the snare with your left hand. Then try it the other way around. Try doing R = right hand + foot, L = left hand, or even R = right hand, L = left hand + foot. The possibilities are endless, and all improve coordination.
electronvtec  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip - I'll look around to see if I can find it at B&N. My good friend is a very good drummer and I watched him play on the WT kit and that helped quite a bit but it's as much about a natural feel for the beat that I think I just need to work on.

I had contemplated turning on auto-kick to just learn how to work around the pads but I decided not to because I'd probably just be setting myself up for failure once I disabled it. Thankfully I'm cheat free... Thanks for the compliment but trust me, I can't get into Assassin but for about 10 seconds - my god that song is hard (and it's clearly not in my wheelhouse with it's painful bass rhythm). Thanks again and thanks for the compliment!
radoaos  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice from my real drummer friend when I was learning.

Get your foot to move independently of your hands. I don't even think about my foot anymore. Especially playing with an orange/purple line coming down. It just does what it is supposed to do. The off beats take the longest to learn, but just practice them before the song, I always practiced thrasher beat, and rtth drum roll before songs start. Now I hit both almost every time.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronvtec wrote:
I can't get into Assassin but for about 10 seconds - my god that song is hard (and it's clearly not in my wheelhouse with it's painful bass rhythm).

Don't worry about Assassin right now - I've played Rock Band drums for hundreds of hours and I can only get 86% and 4 stars on Assassin.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
electronvtec  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ignorance peaking through - what is rtth drum roll?

Thanks for the advice on Assassin - I knew I wasn't going to pass it since it's arguably the hardest song on WT drums but I look at it like TTFAF on GH:3 - I practiced that song (either on no-fail or just practice mode > full song) endlessly and started at 35% of the notes and after hours and hours of playing that song I was up to 85% of the notes and could finally pass it. I'm a big believer in learning by challenging yourself so it's just more of a pipe dream (aka long-term goal ) to play Assassin at this point.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronvtec wrote:
My ignorance peaking through - what is rtth drum roll?

Thanks for the advice on Assassin - I knew I wasn't going to pass it since it's arguably the hardest song on WT drums but I look at it like TTFAF on GH:3 - I practiced that song (either on no-fail or just practice mode > full song) endlessly and started at 35% of the notes and after hours and hours of playing that song I was up to 85% of the notes and could finally pass it. I'm a big believer in learning by challenging yourself so it's just more of a pipe dream (aka long-term goal ) to play Assassin at this point.

Run to the Hills

You can try to do Assassin that way but I think the major difference is that on regular video games and on guitar controllers you're just using your hands whereas now you're using your whole body to hit a big piece of plastic. If you play too many hard or fast songs in a row you're likely to just get tired rather than improve.

It may help to look at it like an exercise regimen. Warm up with some easier songs first, then play some hard songs, then cool down. Take a break every once in a while (I mean like a break of a day or so). The muscles and muscle memory need time to build up and grow stronger.

Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
electronvtec  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the fast songs on drums - I have definitely noticed that it can be pretty tiring (All Nightmare Long is quite the workout for 8 minutes). I'm going to use the Drum Tiering post to help me find songs that I can practice on that aren't too tough. It's funny though that try as I might, I can't pass The Kill and it's a lowly T2 song - that just underscores how much practice I need at basic fundamentals.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kill is only 2 in that list? Hmm, I better comment on that in that thread. It should probably be at least 3, maybe higher.

electronvtec  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to pass both The Kill and Misery Business last night - I would definitely say The Kill is great practice for random (well, ok it has a pattern but it's a tough pattern for a drum newb like me) bass rhythm. I'm also of the mind that Purple Haze is harder than the tier it's in on that list. I suppose I should post over in that thing about these...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: