ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Isn't Calculus just about the greatest thing ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metalteeth  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly enjoy HS Calc. got to college....math and physics major...

People, once you get to college, at least for me, Math gets very not fun. Higher math is all proof based. I took Honors Linear Algebra...sounds easy, right? NOT AT ALL. Dropped the class in 2 weeks.

Now, just physics. But, the math you need for physics is just basic calc and differential equations.
rohrk21  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I dropped from BC Calculus to AB today after a bad marking period and an awful, awful test on integrals on Monday. <_<

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved calc until I started getting in to 3 dimensional stuff. That stuff's just an annoying bitch. But hey enjoy it for as long as you can, maybe you'll end up liking 3d and beyond, but for me I'd rather keep as far as possible from overly complex bullshit and especially fuck theory.

Basically what Metalteeth said :P

Feel free to add me on XBL - GT: altairian
Currently working on RB2 guitar, and occasional vox
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalteeth wrote:
I greatly enjoy HS Calc. got to college....math and physics major...

People, once you get to college, at least for me, Math gets very not fun. Higher math is all proof based. I took Honors Linear Algebra...sounds easy, right? NOT AT ALL. Dropped the class in 2 weeks.

Now, just physics. But, the math you need for physics is just basic calc and differential equations.

And this dude is a math major. Just think how bad a history major such as myself is doing!
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Calculus is pretty interesting and fun but I completely lost interest when I got to the OP's level. It just got to damn long. I think Trig was a little harder but Calc. is simpler but there is just to many steps to go through. i got a 4 on my Calc. BC AP test so I understand it pretty well but i hated every single step along the way.

EDIT: I even was supposed to take Calc. and Analytic Geometry II as a college class but I pulled away from that because I am done with math to that degree. I love what I have learned but I have no desire to learn more.
It was integrals that I started losing interest.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord

Last edited by Deak2112 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love calc. I love math. It makes sense. No bullshit. You can either do it, or you can't. And I happen to be able to. I took college calculus last year as a senior in high school. Now I'm taking Calc 1 in college which is actually a step back for me. So I got an easy 4 credit A right there. Calc 2 will all be review for me too. Math just comes natural to me. I'm a logical person, that's why I suck at interpreting literature and things like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every math class after 9th grade is basically solving really complex puzzles. I find algebra really fun because it makes sense and the really wtf equations are rewarding to finally solve, especially science equations.

And for geometry lovers:

Fourth dimension ftw!
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Math FTW!

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
reikonkeiri  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0wnd1zzl3d wrote:
reikonkeiri wrote:
Yes. Seriously calculus is fantastic I can't wait to take Calc 2 in college o_o.

For now I'm stuck in AP statistics the WORST math class ever invented. I'm dying of boredom in there =[

I'll be taking AP Stat next year... what is there to expect? I'm not expecting much change in the degree of difficulty, just interested what sort of stuff you even do?

The only way I can describe it is it feels less like math than any math I've ever taken in my life. It's like math and english had a bastard child with AIDS. I've never had so little motivation in a class in my life. I don't even pay attention anymore. It could just be senioritis but seriously the material is just stupid. I still have an A though because it is extremely easy. Don't expect to be challenged at all.

also my teacher is terrible

As for what you learn, you start out learning how to draw graphs and how to describe their shape center and spread etc. (easy but so fucking annoying writing paragraphs) Then you learn about normal distributions (super easy) Then you move on to probability (seriously what the fuck easy) Then when you least expect it the class decides to be gay and actually get hard (if you aren't paying attention anyway). Basically you go into sampling distributions and then statistical inference. Naturally there's really no easy way for me to describe those for you without any statistics background but I'll just say its a conceptual thing and everything else is calculator work. Keep in mind this is only what we are doing in my class. Yours might be completely different.

Sorry for getting off topic guys just had to answer a question =p
0wnd1zzl3d  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reikonkeiri wrote:
0wnd1zzl3d wrote:
reikonkeiri wrote:
Yes. Seriously calculus is fantastic I can't wait to take Calc 2 in college o_o.

For now I'm stuck in AP statistics the WORST math class ever invented. I'm dying of boredom in there =[

I'll be taking AP Stat next year... what is there to expect? I'm not expecting much change in the degree of difficulty, just interested what sort of stuff you even do?

The only way I can describe it is it feels less like math than any math I've ever taken in my life. It's like math and english had a bastard child with AIDS. I've never had so little motivation in a class in my life. I don't even pay attention anymore. It could just be senioritis but seriously the material is just stupid. I still have an A though because it is extremely easy. Don't expect to be challenged at all.

As for what you learn, you start out learning how to draw graphs and how to describe their shape center and spread etc. (easy but so fucking annoying writing paragraphs) Then you learn about normal distributions (super easy) Then you move on to probability (seriously what the fuck easy) Then when you least expect it the class decides to be gay and actually get hard (if you aren't paying attention anyway). Basically you go into sampling distributions and then statistical inference. Naturally there's really no easy way for me to describe those for you without any statistics background but I'll just say its a conceptual thing and everything else is calculator work. Keep in mind this is only what we are doing in my class. Yours might be completely different.

Thanks for the answer, looks like it won't be much fun...

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
NimbleTerror  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Math. Fucking. Wins. PERIOD.

I took AP Calc BC last year and got a 5, it was ridiculously easy. Now,
I'm a Freshman in college and in Multivariable Calculus (a.k.a Vector Calc) and it is amazing. I love the way that every single thing that you learn in math just piles on top of each other. Random trig identities can appear in the middle of an intense calculus problem, making it so much easier. It's beautiful. In fact, I love math so much that a week or so ago, I decided to double major in Math and Engineering.

tl;dr- Calculus wins at life.

And for 0wnd1zzl3d, I took AP Stats last year and got a 5 on the test. It is amazingly easy. The class has so little math, it's ridiculous, and the math that does exist is so simple. If you're good at bull shitting answers, you'll be fine.
altairian  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0wnd1zzl3d wrote:
reikonkeiri wrote:
0wnd1zzl3d wrote:
reikonkeiri wrote:

Thanks for the answer, looks like it won't be much fun...

Yeah, I hate to break it to you but if you're someone who enjoys math, you're most likely going to hate statistics. There are some interesting real life applications for statistics, but the process of learning statistics is SUPER boring. On the plus side, for logically minded people, it's an easy A. When I took statistics in college, I literally would make things up on tests sometimes and still get the question right.

Feel free to add me on XBL - GT: altairian
Currently working on RB2 guitar, and occasional vox
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got up to Calc 2 before promptly saying "fuck this shit" and never taking another math class again.
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in freshman algebra 1 right now, and that's already mindfucking me...math really isn't my thing. I'm more into the liberal arts, history and english and all that good stuff.
Maozilla  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calc BC as a junior. Interesting stuff, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it fun. I do have to admit though, Calc AB really helps in Physics 1 right now (see picture). My school is crazy, there are two freshmen taking Calc BC right now and three juniors and a sophomore taking Multivariable Calc (Calc 2). They're all my friends but man, they're absolute geniuses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 2 of 46

Jump to: