ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Isn't Calculus just about the greatest thing ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomsars  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but Chem > Calculus.

It doesn't help that I have the worst teacher ever for Calculus.
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomsars wrote:

Same, i haven't had a good math teacher since third grade, which probably set me behind massively.
NimbleTerror  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomsars wrote:

Chem is absolute fail. Every single chem class I've had has just been pure memorization. There really is no logic behind half of it. I do, however, love the thermodynamics aspect of chemistry.
stryker  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to comment on how amazing calculus is also. And then I remembered that I have a prelim in my Differential Equations course tomorrow covering eigenvalues/boundary-value-problems, oscillating systems, power-series solutions to ODE's, and Fourier series solutions to ODE's.

Yeah. Looks like I'm not going to get any sleep tonight

Alakaiser wrote:
What's your problem with unicorns? They're a majestic, mythical creature! And the colors! The colors are great!
Really, the unicorn avatar is the best thing to ever happen to this forum.
jman00555  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you juniors taking AP Calc suck. My school system wont let you take any calculus classes until you are a senior, so if you are on the highest math track you have to take AP StAT (which i did) or waste a year of your life taking advanced algebra and trig your sophmore year and then pre calc your junior year (actually they started a new math for the current freshmen and lower for the whole state of GA and the whole upper math takes APSTAT sophmore year) I'm sitting here bored out of my mind in Pre calc. (I sat there listening to my iPod for a whole 2 weeks playing calc games, did no homework, came in one day and found out there was a test, and got a perfect score never having seen the material before) The GA curriculum sucks.
jman00555  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomsars wrote:

I love Chem, altho im taking my second year of chem cuz GA curriculum sucks (see rant about math above) and they make you take chem before you can take AP chem. And I have the worst AP Chem teacher ever, so me and this other kid basically teach the class.
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Calc AB my junior year and hated it with a fiery passion. I don't consider myself an idiot with math, but I guess it's because I can't see a direct use for it, my mind just says "you don't need to remember that!". I'm actually taking Calc in my freshmen year in college and it's nice to know I've experienced just about everything he's covered...problem is, he can't teach and his tests never match what he has taught you. That's actually been the case for both of my Calc classes. Oh, and the discussion on AP Stats...it's really not bad. I had an awesome teacher, didn't pay attention the least bit, and still got a B.

And to the OP...WHEN THE HELL WILL I USE A DERIVATIVE IRL???

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:

Believe it or not, principles of derivatives are perhaps unknowingly used by people who issue tickets at tollways. Say the speed limit is 60, but you drive from 1 tollbooth to another (120 miles apart) in an hour and a half. They know you were speeding, but they don't know exactly how fast you were going at any one point. If they wanted to fine you based on your exact speed, they'd have to use the mean value theorem to figure out a minimum fine for you. It seems pretty obvious but it is a calculus idea.

Perhaps you own a soda company and would like to optimize the volume of your cans and spend the least money on an economic shape. Perhaps you'd try to map the changing rate of the position of a star in the sky. Perhaps you're a pool manager and want to keep water circulating, so you need to know the drainage rate of water from your pool.

These are all things i've thought of off the top of my head, and I admittedly am just a beginner at calculus; I don't know the more subtle applications of the derivative. There are definite benefits to being able to differentiate in economics, though, I know that. Economic models and related things can be analyzed to freaking death using calculus methods.

And for all those people who hate math just because it's difficult for you, AP Calculus BC is my most difficult class. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate and like the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in Calculus 1 at college right now. We had a test on integrals just today, but we cover just 2 more sections before the final in a couple weeks.

I don't know if you could say I love Calculus, but I do dislike it less than the rest of my classes. I'm a pretty logical person, so I've always been good at math and I tend to stick with my strengths.

SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, everybody complains about how bad their math teachers all have been. I hate that. Ok, maybe there are some bad teachers, but saying you haven't had a good math teacher since 3rd grade is just wrong. Most people who complain about their math teacher just aren't very good at math. They just use it as an excuse to why they are doing bad in the class. I've seen it too many times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, math FTW. But I'm curious as to how so many of you guys are juniors in BC though. That's not even possible in my school. The advanced juniors at my school are in AB (which is how I am). Did you guys get to skip Pre-Calc or something? Cuz I know that a private high school in my area lets kids do that, which I wish I could've done.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Teh Natorade
TyrantWave  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natorade wrote:
Hell yeah, math FTW. But I'm curious as to how so many of you guys are juniors in BC though. That's not even possible in my school. The advanced juniors at my school are in AB (which is how I am). Did you guys get to skip Pre-Calc or something? Cuz I know that a private high school in my area lets kids do that, which I wish I could've done.

Dunno about the US, but in the UK some community colleges (Aka, big public schools) do this.

I did my maths GCSE a year early and got an A .

Anyhoo, yeah I enjoy maths. Did it in my A-levels, both maths and further maths, and also do it in smaller amounts at Uni now.

Calculus FTW, it's easier than people make it out to be
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is good luck to all you guys who are majoring in math. I was in the exact same position many years ago where I thought math was great and it came super-easy to me and being a math major seemed like the best fit. Problem 1 though was everyone asking "so, what are you going to do with a math degree?" (hint: this is a giant red flag. you can really only teach math or do research with a math degree) Problem 2 was that I got all the way up to Calc III without any problems and then after that it became an impenetrable clusterfuck of theory that no longer made any sense. It wasn't like solving a big elaborate problem with a set of rules, it was just extremely abstract and I couldn't wrap my mind around it. I ended up withdrawing from school!

Now 8 years later I'm back in school studying accounting which I have discovered I like much better. It follows logic and rules (literally, they're called GAAP, generally accepted accounting principles) and you get to use actual NUMBERS again zomg. Plus accountants make lots of money and are always in demand.

All I'm saying is good luck with the math major it seems fun and easy for a while but watch out for that brick wall.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
xslaya22x  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:

LOL! Have you ever taken physics?... obviously not Displacement, velocity, and acceleration are all related through time derivatives and integrals, it's one of the most important things IN physics. Not to mention that electricity and magnetism (fields, etc.) require loads calc to describe.

Let's just say that anything having to do with the moving parts of an electric motor can completely be explained by calculus, as can almost any other phenomena you can think of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euclid is my homeboy

~iw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 3 of 46

Jump to: