ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Isn't Calculus just about the greatest thing ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
So, split up [0,1] into 10 subintervals, width 0.1. Check which interval(s) have roots in them, then take the lowest one of those and divide it into 10 subintervals, etc. Terminate after 11 steps.

If I did this, I could start at [0, .1], and the first time I hit a Root, just abort the current search there, since any further ones will obviously be bigger, thus saving time, right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
bclare wrote:
So, split up [0,1] into 10 subintervals, width 0.1. Check which interval(s) have roots in them, then take the lowest one of those and divide it into 10 subintervals, etc. Terminate after 11 steps.

If I did this, I could start at [0, .1], and the first time I hit a Root, just abort the current search there, since any further ones will obviously be bigger, thus saving time, right?

Seems reasonable. I suppose what I meant to say was check the subintervals until you find a root, starting with the smallest one.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:
bclare wrote:

Seems reasonable. I suppose what I meant to say was check the subintervals until you find a root, starting with the smallest one.

Yeah, thanks for the help! Think I got the basic algorithm, at least for that certain function, done and working. Only hurdle I have left is a programming one and not a math one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck calculus, diff eq is where it's at! Fuckin Fourier Series man

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Fuck calculus, diff eq is where it's at! Fuckin Fourier Series man

I'm taking that in the spring

Our professor doesn't teach the class though, he makes you all figure out how to solve the problems yourself, then you present the solution to the class to teach them. It might actually work quite well since there are only 3-4 students taking diff eq in a given year. Other students have enjoyed it very much.
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm studying for my Multivariable Calculus final right now, and I thought about this thread and read through it. I remember reading all of this as a freshman in high school and having my mind blown at all of the higher level math going on

Now, I'm a freshman in college and reading through, I was able to understand nearly everything. Calculus really does fascinate me, and although this Multivariable class has been beyond difficult at times, I still do appreciate everything that I have learned from the class.

I must say though, I am a little nervous, since this is the first math course I have taken and not had a complete grasp on every concept afterwards. Some of the concepts I'm a little fuzzy on include change of variables (more specifically, Transformations), Line Integrals, Surface Integrals ,and Stokes Theorem, plus some more general Curl and Divergence applications. Plus, evaluating triple integrals can get really messy. However, I have done fairly decently in the class and I am enjoying not dying while I can; I am taking Diff Eq next semester so I can only hope for the best there.

I'm a Chemical Engineering major, btw

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*high fives LlamaYip*

*sneaks out the back door*
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differential equations was a weird class for me. DO NOT underestimate the class due to it seeming easy at first. The first exam was incredibly easy; like it was the easiest exam I had in all of college. After that, I decided I didn't need to study for the class anymore, and it hurt me. The class didn't get overwhelmingly difficult, but it was definitely pretty tough after that. If you do things such as laplace transformations and heat maps toward of the end of the course, that will be really tough though. Good luck with all your math endeavours

PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed Calc II
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
conlan22  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
I failed Calc II

Nothing to be ashamed of. There are a couple topics in that class that are much different than anything else that you would have encountered before. What's your major?
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conlan22 wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:
I failed Calc II

Nothing to be ashamed of. There are a couple topics in that class that are much different than anything else that you would have encountered before. What's your major?

Computer science
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
I failed Calc II

I've taken five higher math courses since Calc II, but none of them have been as challenging as Calc II. The material may have been harder, but you have more practice by the time you get there. Don't get discouraged about failing it; in mine 6 out of 10 students dropped it and only 2 of the remaining 4 passed. Just study it some (I recommend khanacademy) before taking it a second time, and I believe you'll do fine next time.
(Of course, it depends on the teacher also. Do prioritize finding a section taught by a reasonably lenient prof.)

Are you retaking it now? I don't check these forums often anymore but if I see a question here I'd be glad to answer it; I need the practice. Also, If your Calc II is multivariable (ours wasn't) then all the better... I've developed quite a fondness for vectors.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Are you retaking it now?

Nope
conlan22  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:
I failed Calc II

I've taken five higher math courses since Calc II, but none of them have been as challenging as Calc II. The material may have been harder, but you have more practice by the time you get there. Don't get discouraged about failing it; in mine 6 out of 10 students dropped it and only 2 of the remaining 4 passed. Just study it some (I recommend khanacademy) before taking it a second time, and I believe you'll do fine next time.
(Of course, it depends on the teacher also. Do prioritize finding a section taught by a reasonably lenient prof.)

Are you retaking it now? I don't check these forums often anymore but if I see a question here I'd be glad to answer it; I need the practice. Also, If your Calc II is multivariable (ours wasn't) then all the better... I've developed quite a fondness for vectors.

I agree that CAL II is quite challenging considering the amount of mathematical experience you've had up to that point. Pieman, do they require Calc II for you to graduate the CSci program?
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conlan22 wrote:
Pieman, do they require Calc II for you to graduate the CSci program?

They sure do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 45 of 46

Jump to: