ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Going from GH drums to real drums? Does it help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam12343210  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRaw wrote:
I've never taken one lesson for drums and I'm better than all of the percussionists at my school.

Not to be mean or anything, but unless your school's band is utterly atrocious, you probably aren't. You could be better at drum set than them, but not a better percussionist (again unless you play marimba and your school's band blows).

Check out my band: http://www.youtube.com/user/EverydayGrindMusic
gufino  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree with things I read on this thread, but not 100%.

I've been playing drums in a band for some years (by the way, it's a sort of half metal,half punk hardcore band, if someone is interested I can link some vids). Well, I'm obviously no Neal Peart, but what I can say is that there's a really big difference between being able to play some patterns on a real set, and being a drummer...

Playing GHWT (never tried RB so I won't talk about it) sure can help you develop some limbs indipendence, body coordination, and so on... You could probably be able to play some nice patterns and fills on a real set, even if it is spatially different from a GH drumkit. But this WON'T make you a drummer. There's some other very important things you can't learn from a game, ie. a solid understanding of the musical concepts of tempo, and the simple but important maths behind it. Then you will start UNDERSTANDING what you're playing, and you could start creating your own style and feel. To create your own style, you have to experiment a lot with your kit, the different sounds you can get from it, and the best way to put this sounds together.
Plus, there's some technique issues: you CAN beat expert level using some really wrong drumming techniques, but trust me, this can work in a game but sure will give you problems on a real set.
So, you can START enjoying a real set with the basis provided by this game, but being a real drummer is a really different thing, that needs patience and study. Not necessarily a teacher and lessons, but you surely need to find some good material and study it hard.
hydropunk  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneeyedlittleman wrote:
Trogdon wrote:
jpindustrie wrote:
I think it's all about understanding what you're doing while playing Rock Band.

I don't think RB/GH drums will teach you drums, but I highly recommend it to any drummer as a great toy and practice tool, regardless of skill.

The truth is, you're simply playing Simon with a drum shaped controller. However if you recognize the drumming basics while playing, it will certainly provide some of the basic rudiments needed to transition to a real set.

Things such as equating the red pad to the snare, the green to the floor tom/crash cymbal, or things such as realizing you're playing a 4/4 beat while trying to hit the proper 'colors', these are the type of 'milestones' you reach when first learning drums and are practically priceless while trying to learn at first. The fact that the game presents these rudiments in a fun, engaging, and above all unique fashion, makes this game indispensable to the beginning or practicing drummer.

This. I can drum IRL almost as good as my friend who took lessons, and I learned just by playing GH/RB drums.

this. it is a wonderful practice tool (RB is better because of the timing window, and it forces you to distinguish what drum you're "hitting", but lets not start the drumset arguments)

Before RB, i could only play 1 drum pattern, and not very well. that's def. not the case now.

While it may be true that RB drums help a drumming noob to learn to play drum like patterns on random colored surfaces, RB "drums" are no more drums than the guitar shaped controller would be looked at as a real guitar. It teaches you to play drum "patterns" on random pads that are organized in a similar shape as a drum set with a pedal thrown on. Because of this, you are far more likely to develop bad habits in your playing style, because you aren't thinking like a drummer, you are thinking like a DDR player with a drum set shaped controller.

The GH kit on the other hand, is basically just a cheap electric drum kit without a hi-hat pedal and obviously doubling up a couple cymbals, but at least they are in the correct (somewhat) positioning. The major and most important difference (even more than having 5 pads), is that there is consistency to which instrument you are playing by hitting each pad.

So while you may think it is better to learn on RB drums, the only real benefit you are getting out of it is that you are forcing yourself to learn to read charts instead of possibly playing them by ear and getting by without learning to read the patterns. You are not learning how to play the drums any more than some monkey beating on random pots and pans.

To answer the OP question, obviously I don't think RB drums are the way to go to make a transition from game to real life, but GHWT (and metallica) are the best possible way I can think of to ramp up to playing drums in a fun, engaging way. Yes it leaves out plenty of drum theory and timing isn't 100%, but to take someone from fresh "I've never touched drums before" to actually being able to play a few easy songs by ear or start coming up with their own beats, it is indispensable.

Side note for any real drummers if its not already crystal clear, if you are wondering which game, if any, would be the better purchase for a real life drum experience, imo RB 1&2 drums aren't even worth your time compared to GHWT/GH:M.
adam12343210  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydropunk wrote:

Side note for any real drummers if its not already crystal clear, if you are wondering which game, if any, would be the better purchase for a real life drum experience, imo RB 1&2 drums aren't even worth your time compared to GHWT/GH:M.

I disagree with that.

Either way (rb or gh) you build your chops and learn the bare essentials of drumming. The only real difference is that WT drums are set up better than rb drums. But even that can arguably make the learning experience harder (besides the obvious aspect of muscle memory that is still not very realistic to build with anything but an actual set). With WT drums, you have more rebound, and if you didn't know: the less rebound you have, the faster you build chops (though it's not a good idea to drum on a pillow for long amounts of time, due to muscle stress). This makes it a bit slower to learn drums than if you played rb sets exclusively (in theory).

This concept can be compared to a skater learning to skate. He may, being the uneducated skater he is, buy a piece of shit walmart skateboard apposed to an actual skateboard. As said skater's skills progress, his knowledge of equipment will very likely progress too (this example can also be compared to a gh player finding scorehero). He will then buy a real skateboard, and realize how much better it is. As a result of this he will learn faster, and apply the skills he already knows to his new equipment, where he will find it easier to use them. An added bonus is that his walmart skateboard-acquired skills are now practically embedded into his brain fairly permanently. This same concept works for somebody who plays gh or rb and then obtains and uses a real acoustic or electronic drum set.

For this reason, I believe the game doesn't matter, they both aren't very realistic, but will help you have a thorough understanding of the basics of drumming, and get you interested in drumming faster than most ways out there today. Also on this subject, I believe there is a correlation between how bad the first piece of equipment is, to how good the new piece of equipment. Therefore-with this reasoning-a person who plays an rb set will eventually benefit more from that then from a WT kit.

ABee1010  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam12343210 wrote:
hydropunk wrote:

I disagree with that.

Either way (rb or gh) you build your chops and learn the bare essentials of drumming. The only real difference is that WT drums are set up better than rb drums. But even that can arguably make the learning experience harder (besides the obvious aspect of muscle memory that is still not very realistic to build with anything but an actual set). With WT drums, you have more rebound, and if you didn't know: the less rebound you have, the faster you build chops (though it's not a good idea to drum on a pillow for long amounts of time, due to muscle stress). This makes it a bit slower to learn drums than if you played rb sets exclusively (in theory).

This concept can be compared to a skater learning to skate. He may, being the uneducated skater he is, buy a piece of shit walmart skateboard apposed to an actual skateboard. As said skater's skills progress, his knowledge of equipment will very likely progress too (this example can also be compared to a gh player finding scorehero). He will then buy a real skateboard, and realize how much better it is. As a result of this he will learn faster, and apply the skills he already knows to his new equipment, where he will find it easier to use them. An added bonus is that his walmart skateboard-acquired skills are now practically embedded into his brain fairly permanently. This same concept works for somebody who plays gh or rb and then obtains and uses a real acoustic or electronic drum set.

For this reason, I believe the game doesn't matter, they both aren't very realistic, but will help you have a thorough understanding of the basics of drumming, and get you interested in drumming faster than most ways out there today. Also on this subject, I believe there is a correlation between how bad the first piece of equipment is, to how good the new piece of equipment. Therefore-with this reasoning-a person who plays an rb set will eventually benefit more from that then from a WT kit.

I think it is hard to dispute that GH drums are more realistic than RB, and your arguments aren't very convincing. I think the major difference is the more accurate charting that the 5th pad affords more so than the physical differences between the kits. Most people that make the comments you have are playing WT on a RB set and thus do not really understand the difference. RB charting is only vaguely simmilar to how you would play real drums and to be quite honest, it is a bit watered down. RB drumming isn't really even fun to me because I feel like I am just hitting random pads. Then when they start switching pads between a crash and a tom it feels even more cheesy. I hit a pad having no idea what sound it is going to produce!

With that said, you certainly COULD get a good start learning how to play drums playing RB. If given a choice though, there is no question that GH drumming is more realistic...
ArmourTheLlama  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into GH vs RB drums, much as people say they aren't trying to start that argument.
Also, this thread was started last year. The OP has probably gotten the information he wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am not trying to take a side of a game (though I did defend rb pretty heavily on the last post) because i believe they both add different spices to the video game formula.

To Abee,

My point is that neither game will make you an awesome drummer. To do that you must actually play a real drum set and learn what you're playing. WT could have perfect charting for all I care, but you still wouldn't know what you're playing in musical terms (which in the real world of drumming are the ONLY terms used).

Ex. you could have a great amount of knowledge of NPS for say, but if you become a real drummer based on only playing songs (without knowing the actual musicality of it), you could barely call yourself a drummer. If you can't read music, know what different note divisions are, understand the bpm of the song and how that affects note divisions, factor in time signatures to see how note divisions work for the song, understand the notation the writer used for the song, etc. (the list goes on and on), then you will be extremely limited as a drummer. The only musical terms you learn about from rock bands are different types of stickings (and if you're really interested in stickings, then rudiments), but even that isn't truly learned in-game.

Whether you think my argument is convincing or not, it's true. Charting and how the drums are set up make an extremely small difference as neither game will make you a real drummer until you buy a set and metronome, get you hands on a basic drum techniques book, and actually apply yourself to learning the MUSIC. So while WT and RB are fun games to play that might build your chops and expose you to other types of songs than you might be used to, it will not make you a drummer.

ABee1010  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I pretty much agree with that. It just seemed like you were trying to say that RB would do a better job of teaching drums. I still think playing WT is a GREAT way to GET STARTED playing drums. Of course at some point you would have to switch over to the real thing to be a real drummer, but I do believe playing WT (or RB) would speed up the learning curve.

I have found with plastic instrument games for guitar and drums alike that the game is actually more benificia to people that already have a solid foundation on the real instrumentl. Playing GH has improved many aspects of my real drumming and guitar playing...
juggledave  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkuo wrote:
Playing rhythm games does improve your rhythm. You need to be mostly centered on time if you want to score well. Just because the timing windows aren't super strict doesn't mean you don't get something from it. It's not the whole enchilada but it does help.

Random thought, playing ddr and stepmania as well as rockband drums might help :P
adam12343210  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABee1010 wrote:
I have found with plastic instrument games for guitar and drums alike that the game is actually more benificia to people that already have a solid foundation on the real instrumentl. Playing GH has improved many aspects of my real drumming and guitar playing...

I agree with that as well. I've learned some set patterns that I might have never been exposed to pre-rhythm games.

I also agree that GH and RB do a terrific job of getting people interested in real instruments. These games have just opened up a new world of excited people wanting to become great bassists, guitarists, drummers, and vocalist. This can only benefit music as we know it.

Gotta love those damn video games ;)

g0dly  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam you are missing alot with your posts. drumming is alot more simple than you make it sound. to be a "real drummer" all you need to do is pick up your sticks and sit next to your buddy while he is jamming on guitar and make a beat that flows with his guitar. you don't learn to drum by picking up a book and playing with a metronome, that is rediculous. you learn some fundamental beats by doing things like that, but honestly, those books are only for the people who aren't talented enough to pick up the instrument on their own. no drummer has ever created a song by combining beats that they remembered from a book full of beats. guitar hero and rockband drums show you the basic tecniques for playing drums. there is alot of stuff left out, like hi hat pedal, symbals, and the location of the drums themselves, but learning to play these games can help you pretty much bypass all of the "book learning" that you would need to do to be a drummer and get you pretty close to the point where you can jam with your friends and actually start learning to play. i would say that if you were to start taking drum lessons after learning to hold a combo on expert, you would be able to skip the beginner class, and start on intermediate, you would start off by learning how many different sounds you can make with your drums rather than how to hold a beat on your hi hat and snare.

as for which drums are more realistic, its not even close. guitar hero is FAR more realistic than rockband. the only defence you could make for rockband is the fact that you can purchase cymbals which make it so that you can actually hit a cymbal when you are supposed to, but the chart has no way of telling you when its supposed to be a cymbal or a drum, so unless you memorize a song you will hit the green crash expecting to hear the sound of your crash, you hear your drum. not to mention that the hi hat is sometimes red, then in some songs its yellow and in some its blue. its just too rediculous. in guitar hero, you know that when a string of yellows comes up its because you have to hit your hi hat, and a red is a snare. orange is ride, or crash if you are playing yellows. the cymbals and drums are always the same sound except the crash changes depending which cymbal you are on, and sometimes red won't be a snare if it is a situation where the drummer rolls to all three of his other drums. the only bad part is that they had to crush it up so close together that parts like the red blue thing in obsticleI are nearly impossible to play correctly.
timdorr  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring the whole realism and WT vs. RB kit arguments, I can say that playing the plastic drums will prepare you for playing the real thing. About 2 months ago I went over to my friend's house to try out his kit. I sat down without having ever sat at a real drum set and nervously started to play. To my surprise, but what resulted actually sounded pretty good! I'm no Neal Peart, but I'm definitely passable for my group of friends who is collectively trying to learn their instruments.

I spent the rest of that day going over notation (both standard and tablature) and getting the handle on a few real world songs. A few weeks later I got a kit of my own and have been practicing ever since. I've got a repertoire of about 5 songs I can play with the group and will probably start lessons next month.

One thing I can point out is that positioning is the biggest change for me. Having to crossover for the hat, having the cymbals up high and farther away, positioning of the toms. A lot of my hesitations while playing came from figuring out where all the pieces to hit went. It's much different from having them all in a straight line right in front of you.

So, for anyone reading this who's curious, see if you can find a friend or someone with a kit they'll let you try out for a little while. Chances are you'll like it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EndTask
adam12343210  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0dly wrote:
adam you are missing alot with your posts. drumming is alot more simple than you make it sound. to be a "real drummer" all you need to do is pick up your sticks and sit next to your buddy while he is jamming on guitar and make a beat that flows with his guitar. you don't learn to drum by picking up a book and playing with a metronome, that is rediculous. you learn some fundamental beats by doing things like that, but honestly, those books are only for the people who aren't talented enough to pick up the instrument on their own. no drummer has ever created a song by combining beats that they remembered from a book full of beats. guitar hero and rockband drums show you the basic tecniques for playing drums. there is alot of stuff left out, like hi hat pedal, symbals, and the location of the drums themselves, but learning to play these games can help you pretty much bypass all of the "book learning" that you would need to do to be a drummer and get you pretty close to the point where you can jam with your friends and actually start learning to play. i would say that if you were to start taking drum lessons after learning to hold a combo on expert, you would be able to skip the beginner class, and start on intermediate, you would start off by learning how many different sounds you can make with your drums rather than how to hold a beat on your hi hat and snare.

Are you fucking kidding me? First off, it took at least 5 minutes for me to decipher that crazy wall of text that you call the English language. Second of all, you won't find any half decent drummer say "Yeah i just wrote that song, I have no idea what the musical terms for it are". EVERY SONG IS MADE UP OF THINGS YOU LEARN IN A BOOK!

A lick like the one in this video is made up of swiss army triplets (that you can learn in this: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/features/freshapproach/intro.html book):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMMM6uxOzHE&feature=channel_page

A lick like the one in this video is made up of paradiddles (that you can also learn in the book linked above):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZZU5uK0fE&feature=channel_page

And this dude knows what he's doing. Here's a video of him doing an amazing drum solo on a custom set Yamaha built for him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOAA0g4fjc&feature=channel_page

Must I keep linking videos to prove my point? Those licks have been commonly used in a very large number of songs along with other rudiments and fundamental beats that YOU LEARN IN A BOOK! A good drummer didn't just pick up sticks and jam with a friend to make music. Ex. Niel Peart's only exposure to drumming for an entire year was taking lessons with a drum pad and sticks. No drum set. No guitar buddies. He did that until he was 14 when he got a drum set, and he didn't start playing in a band until a few years after that. I guarantee you he didn't sound good when he started. So please, don't tell me I'm wrong without proof.

hydropunk  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, I don't know how you can take from my post that I think that playing on GH drums is even close to actually jamming on a real kit. If I weren't playing a video game I would flat out refuse to play on any less than a vdrum kit (if we're talking electric pads). My point I was trying to make was not about the QUALITY of the drums, but rather the charting of the instruments and their complete randomness in Rock Band. Not only that, I did stress that there would absolutely be elements of drumming, including but not limited to drum theory, and timing that would be completely left out, and that this was no more than a stepping stone to beginner drumming classes.

However, I think you completely understood all of that, and rather than accept that some aspiring drummers might take something from their GH drumming experience, you would much rather shoot them down and make them feel like they can ONLY take the path that you took.

Obviously you are a product of high school band or some other such similar path, and more power to you for that... I was as well, but it doesn't mean you absolutely will be a better rock band drummer than some other average joe that never took a lesson in their life. There is no question that there are "self taught" drummers out there that are nowhere near the rudimentary proficiency of a kid in 10th grade in marching band, but they're still out their making albums and going on tours; Lars Ulrich comes to mind if you need a classic example (don't get me started on how bad he is though). At the same time, I absolutely guarantee that Lars couldn't play the stuff the guy in your Youtube videos played, to save his life.

Anyways, I've gone far off topic here, at least from my original post... strayed from my real point. I'll agree with you that books, classes, etc are far and away the best route to take to being a great drummer, but its not the only path to go. I've played with some people that couldn't read off a sheet of music to save their life, but can lay down some seriously killer beats.
orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydropunk wrote:

Obviously you are a product of high school band or some other such similar path, and more power to you for that... I was as well, but it doesn't mean you absolutely will be a better rock band drummer than some other average joe that never took a lesson in their life. There is no question that there are "self taught" drummers out there that are nowhere near the rudimentary proficiency of a kid in 10th grade in marching band, but they're still out their making albums and going on tours; Lars Ulrich comes to mind if you need a classic example (don't get me started on how bad he is though). At the same time, I absolutely guarantee that Lars couldn't play the stuff the guy in your Youtube videos played, to save his life.

Could you go into why Lars is a bad drummer? My friends are always talking about how great he is, and I always argue that he isn't, but I don't really have any proof to back my arguments.

Also, the one thing I think is more realistic about Rock Band drums is that they have more freedom to chart accurately. What I mean by that is, most standard drum kits have 3 toms. Rock Band charts toms to either yellow, blue, or green, so they can represent any real fill, while GH has only 2 toms, so if there's a fill that goes across 3 toms, they can't chart it accurately. Same with ride vs. crash cymbal; RB can chart ride to blue and crash to green while GH can only chart both on orange.

And to that other person, most of it is playing by ear, whatever Neil Peart may have done as a kid. You don't sit down and say, "Hey guitarist, I'm going to play Swiss army triplets in this song with a mixture of paradiddles," you just play what sounds good with them.

GH5 (30/43)(Gamma Ray latest)
RB2 (39/42)(Souls of Black latest)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: