ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bass Note in between Pad Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigFish  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Bass Note in between Pad Notes Reply with quote

I'm having a real problem playing sequences of beats where the bass note comes in between pad notes. I mean like a constant strand. Basically where you alternate between using your arms on a note then a bass note. So it's like RG:Bass:RG:Bass just repeating over and over again. I just can't keep them separate and want to hit the bass every time. What are some tips or techniques I can utilize?
477th on 360
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: My Name Is Fish
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of limb independence exercise just takes lots and lots of practice. I know when I first started I couldn't hit more than 3 or 4 in a row before I would lose it and get off time. It takes a long time to get better at it.

You can actually try doing this when you're not playing the drums and just sitting in a chair. Just alternate back and forth between your arms and your foot as an exercise. Additionally, it helped me at first to bob my head forward and back like a pigeon too.

You can also take that part of a song into Practice Mode and slow it down to try it at an easier tempo. As you get better at it you can speed it up to full speed again.

Good luck!

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
sedron  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
This sort of limb independence exercise just takes lots and lots of practice. I know when I first started I couldn't hit more than 3 or 4 in a row before I would lose it and get off time. It takes a long time to get better at it.

You can actually try doing this when you're not playing the drums and just sitting in a chair. Just alternate back and forth between your arms and your foot as an exercise. Additionally, it helped me at first to bob my head forward and back like a pigeon too.

You can also take that part of a song into Practice Mode and slow it down to try it at an easier tempo. As you get better at it you can speed it up to full speed again.

Good luck!

This post pretty much sums it up. Practice this skill, it will come with time.
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:

Good luck!

I would say the head bobbing tip is the most important part of that post. Seriously. I probably have a good 6 inch range when I bob my head back and forth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks a lot, I just didn't know if there were any little tricks or something aside from pure practice.
477th on 360
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: My Name Is Fish
killermonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Playing the kill helps
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to recommend counting out loud to help you through any tough stretch. This helps me in GH and RB just as much IRL. Most patterns can be counted in 4s. 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. For the pattern listed by the OP, you would be hitting GR on 1 and 3 and your BD on 2 and 4. If you are playing a pattern that has triplets in there you will need to modify your count to an odd number (or at least has a square root that is an odd number)...
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with what has been said before, but as an addendum to the "Pigeon technique" sometimes I will end up rocking my entire torso forward, along with my head. I do the rock in time with the foot pedal - leaning back as you hit with hands. I find this can help to accentuate the difference - avoiding hitting both at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sulfurus PSN Name: Sulfurus
iAMjustin  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont lunge ur whole body forward like most beginners are inclined to do, that will only make it harder for you to develop limb separation and ull end up doing r arm l arm and leg at same time. relax, and dont try to use ur wrists or fingers for these patterns. its much easier to just use your whole arms, there is no difficult technicalities if these patterns that require fingers/wrist play. use arms only i guess and practice. itll help u with songs like almost easy, thrasher, end of give it all, etc. ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: