ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How do you use the controller when you play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolStalker  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: How do you use the controller when you play Reply with quote

im asking cos i seem to be the only person online that plays it like a keyboard, when i first got guitar hero 3 i looked at the controller and thought, 5 buttons... 5 fingers, works for me . i started the game on the second difficulty instantly and within the first 4 teirs was able to do the first few songs on hard. ive beaten the game with precision mode and as a joke have started playing with performance mode .

the only trouble i seem to have with this set out is those blasted split doubles like in prayer of the refugee and using star power is difficult if their are oranges cos i hav to tilt my whole body, other wise i just use my thumb.

oh and i can play up to same old song and dance on expert normally.

i just wanna know if their are any other peepol who think they play the game fairly uniquely

Last edited by SolStalker on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Imryel  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fairly common approach for people who have played Beatmania IIDX before guitar hero. However, it is still far in the minority. Using your thumb on orange might help with the chord changes, if you dont already. Its hard to get used to, but IMO worth it

A-Dubz  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even thought of playing the controller like a keyboard, nice job in making it that far in the game like that though. I play it normally, except I alternate strum every note of every song, no matter how slow it is. Mainly I do it because I started that right from when I first began playing. I think almost everybody down strums whenever they can, or am I wrong?
My Accomplishments Thread
JoeTheAncientOne  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too play keyboard style, though i only use 3 fingers (well, apart from songs where there are 4 note chords (e.g Joe Perry battle (vault)) or the hammer-on-sustains (that arent all hammerons) in WT. for those i just bring my thumb up if orange is involved, or if its not i use my pinky.

i also upstrum instead of downstrum. a good thing about upstrumming is that if your strumming finger gets tired, you can use another one (e.g, my index gets tired so i switch to using my middle finger for a bit until my index recovers a little and then i switch back).

you can get as good as playing normally through playing keyboard style, that is to say, ability increases the same as playing normally. f4phantom2500 plays keyboard style and he's right up there with the top players.

A-Dubz: yes almost everybody downstrums. Like people who play keyboard style, upstrummers and constant alt strummers are a minority, but one heck of a minority.

JoeOfTheFire on PSN, feel free to add me- I need more people to play GHWoR with. I have all imports and all free dlc, as well as some regular dlc.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeTheAncientOne wrote:
A-Dubz: yes almost everybody downstrums. Like people who play keyboard style, upstrummers and constant alt strummers are a minority, but one heck of a minority.

I think it's relatively close. There's a lot of players that downstrum or constant alt-strum; a lot of the good players actually belong to the latter. I don't understand it; I have to downstrum anything slower than 8NPS.

As for me, aside from downstrumming a lot, I don't do much out of the ordinary. I don't tap (besides the TTFAF intro), but I've never really done anything that NEEDS to be tapped one-handed anyways (or WITH tapping, for that matter) so I guess it's really a moot point. I got 95% on Jordan Solo B on Slower once but that's nothing special. So yeah, I guess I'm a boring player.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
SolStalker  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i also upstrum instead of downstrum. a good thing about upstrumming is that if your strumming finger gets tired, you can use another one (e.g, my index gets tired so i switch to using my middle finger for a bit until my index recovers a little and then i switch back).

Yeah i also up strum but my arm always gets sore before my fingers lol so ive never tried switching.

lol im almost past the second teir on performance mode, damn its hard.

Last edited by SolStalker on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dede  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upstrum is a good tip but in some sections you get fuc!@# up if you dont stum and upstrum (for example in TDWDTG)
I play guitar hero in the the standard controller to and i can FC most of the songs playing with it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xxxlefmxxx PSN Name: josediniz
Loki57  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man whatever works for you,
One of the best players around here plays keyboard style and always has, f4phantom is and always has played keyboard style, and he has over 200 FC's across GH 1/2/80's/3
21:13 n1rockyfan: wat song is this?
21:13 Loki57: pretty noose
21:13 IBitePrettyHard: Pretty Noose
21:13 Loki57: by soundgarden
21:13 IBitePrettyHard: by Soundgarden
21:13 Loki57: owned
rodrod  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoT4xPEHX9M

This vid wins in so many ways
SolStalker  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodrod wrote:
you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoT4xPEHX9M

This vid wins in so many ways

no i play using all my fingers one on each button
A-Dubz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dede wrote:
upstrum is a good tip but in some sections you get fuc!@# up if you dont stum and upstrum (for example in TDWDTG)
I play guitar hero in the the standard controller to and i can FC most of the songs playing with it

Umm, you can FC most of the songs? Are you talking about medium? In GH3 you don't even have one out of the nine expert songs you put in with 100%, and you submitted easy songs. Even on hard you only have one FC, so what the hell are you talking about?
My Accomplishments Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: