ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Reallllllly fast drum rolls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garwood  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reallllllly fast drum rolls Reply with quote

as in. . . All nightmare long.

I can't quite keep up with them. It's not really a problem until i get around 75% of the way through when i need to start adding the bass in. Since I'm off rhythm with the drum roll I can't seem to keep the bass pedal right either and I tank :/

I could be wrong but i think i've seen people using a technique to get two hits with one flick of the wrist. Gettin bouncy.

So anyway, what did score hero do to be able to play fast enough?

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
gohoog  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Bouncy" thing your talking about is called "Double Stroking" it a really helpful valuable thing in drumming and good to learn early on like I did, As for fast rolls in game I don't recommend double strokes cause of the drums poor sensitivity so just practice single stroke rolls until All Nightmare Long becomes easier.
Garwood  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool. I figured I would probably just have to play more and practice until i could just get up to speed but thanks for telling me what that Double Stroking is. It's been killing me to want to find out

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
Thehunte199  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hate that double strokes don't register
I started teaching myself after I began playing Rockband drums, and I HAD to pick up the double strokes quickly.
I honestly don't understand how your doing Expert without that technique... then again I can do almost all of the actual drumming, but I fail so hard on bass... which is why I'm stuck butt good on Hard
But for now, I'd suggest working on increasing your single diddles (hits)
Megabert  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Strokes don't register? This is news to me. Every WT/RB2 kit I've used has had perfect double strokes. Just turn up the sensitivity on the WT kit if it doesn't pick up the second hit. Make sure your second stroke isn't too light.

BTW, you should be able to (naturally) single stroke at almost the same speed as distinguishable doubles, and there's nothing on RB/WT that isn't single-strokable except visions, which would require 4 sticks to hit.

oneeyedlittleman  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thehunte199 wrote:
Yeah, I hate that double strokes don't register
I started teaching myself after I began playing Rockband drums, and I HAD to pick up the double strokes quickly.
I honestly don't understand how your doing Expert without that technique... then again I can do almost all of the actual drumming, but I fail so hard on bass... which is why I'm stuck butt good on Hard
But for now, I'd suggest working on increasing your single diddles (hits)

so you have RB and a real kit? get thrasher, practice constantly for a couple weeks. instant limb independence.
Thehunte199  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneeyedlittleman wrote:

so you have RB and a real kit? get thrasher, practice constantly for a couple weeks. instant limb independence.

I don't have a real drum kit, I'm begging my parents for an electric one
But I do play around a bit, practice rudiments and such
Thanks for the tip though, I'll check it out
TheZ116  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megabert wrote:
BTW, you should be able to (naturally) single stroke at almost the same speed as distinguishable doubles, and there's nothing on RB/WT that isn't single-strokable except visions, which would require 4 sticks to hit.

Actually for me, I can do single strokes faster than I can do double strokes. I don't know how, but I just can.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: sandiegodrummer PSN Name: thez116
Raen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sat rolls like that, I prefer to just accent every fourth hit I do, which allows me to stay on beat relatively easily. And looking at a video for All Nightmare Long, that's exactly where each bass hit is, in the beginning roll at least. On my Rock Band 1 kit, my double strokes pick up, though I don't use them for any rolls because it's harder to stay on rhythm for me.

Looking at the video more, the game even tells you to accent every fourth hit lol. The key is just staying on beat.
Ellemennt75  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megabert wrote:

Not anymore....

Just practice your wrist motions. The hardest thing for me is rolling really fast and ending up hitting my left and right at the same time so it registers 1 note and I fail.

PRACTICE
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Ellemennt75
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megabert wrote:
and there's nothing on RB/WT that isn't single-strokable

I don't know about that. Snares in Love Removal Machine and the floor toms in Kick Out The Jams are solely there to rape you for single-stroking. Not to say they're not possible, just I find them extremely hard without double strokes--even though they're both slightly slower than Bodhisattva which I can hit fine on RB with singles.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Twool  

Location: Depending on the time, I could be in one place, or many.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElementOfZero wrote:
Megabert wrote:

I don't know about that. Snares in Love Removal Machine and the floor toms in Kick Out The Jams are solely there to rape you for single-stroking. Not to say they're not possible, just I find them extremely hard without double strokes--even though they're both slightly slower than Bodhisattva which I can hit fine on RB with singles.

Including the one roll in Rambling Man with pedal hits every third note.

Can you put 32nd notes in your custom songs on World Tour? I can't.

Protest the Hero Fans - Free MP3 of the hidden track before Bloodmeat if you PM me or comment on Youtube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ICBM
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twool wrote:
ElementOfZero wrote:
Megabert wrote:

Including the one roll in Rambling Man with pedal hits every third note.

That roll is significantly slower than KotJ, (and my that, I mean less than HALF the speed) and it's eigth note triplets, how does double strokes benefit you

It'd be murder for me to try that, switching hands with every bass hit while concentrating on double strokes. But if it works for you, damn. I'm impressed :P

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the triplet rolls like in Ramblin' Man I'd simply do RLLRLLRLLR with bass drums on R's. Nothing really hard.

Realllllly fast rolls are killing me though. I can barely hit the rolls in Master Of Puppets' pre-choruses without missing a random note in the middle, and double-stroking gets too confusing to me. Maybe I need more practice. or a better drum kit

/sleepy Undead

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
Ahoyte  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheZ116 wrote:
Megabert wrote:

Actually for me, I can do single strokes faster than I can do double strokes. I don't know how, but I just can.

Its different for different people. I used to be able to do single strokes faster than double strokes, but now, im way faster with double strokes . You just have to keep practicing on double strokes on easy rolls and you'll get the hang of it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: