ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The State of ScoreHero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iimeanyii wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:

I think you're allowed to be stupid once in a while. The people that are rockers failed to see this and didn't create enough discussion to balance the stupid and useless posts.
I take personal offense from that. All it takes is one stupid post to get perma-rockered.

While this is true, it's the general consensus that most people who have been PR'ed deserve it, even though it is quite often not true. Maybe they deserved it at one point, but have since shaped up (I'm thinking of Silly right now, who has become a pretty good poster in my eyes, and has recently had his rank restored (EDIT: Lol he posted right after me.).). Just remember there's always a chance to get your status restored.

And in any case I don't believe you should pay the least bit attention to rank, I never have. Getting PR'ed early on in my SH career, I quickly shaped up, but of course, still held my perma-rank. I knew that at this point I was at least a decent poster, meaning there had to be others like me. I haven't payed one bit of attention to Rock Rank since. I get to recognize all of the semi-regular users and determine my own opinions of them. There are quite a few Free Birds I know of that I respect as posters far less then a few rockers I know (Don't worry, Drew, I'm not talking about you. ).

toymachine wrote:
Also the whole online suicide, racist bigotry, and girl selling her virginity just falls under"Morons with better technology" for me.

I have to agree here. If you're gonna blame the internet for his suicide, then you have to allow blame to be passed for all these murders to video games, and if I'm not mistake, you people always defend them to death, saying the other argument is completely retarded.

A little hypocritical if you ask me.

CleverTangent wrote:
FBMrider86 wrote:
Consequently these people probably aren't that bright.
One of the stalkers I've met is one of the most brilliant people I've ever seen.

Hell, I'm a fuckin' genius.

>_>

<_<

Last edited by TheThirdDay on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TheThirdDaySH
Silly  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iimeanyii wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:

I think you're allowed to be stupid once in a while. The people that are rockers failed to see this and didn't create enough discussion to balance the stupid and useless posts.

I take personal offense from that. All it takes is one stupid post to get perma-rockered.

Quoted for truth, through experience and seeing others have it done to them. No need to tar everyone with the same brush, because it just isn't true.

I believe the Accomplishments forum should either be saved for people's wiki pages, or not count towards overall post count - I fully agree with the sentiments that it's just a +1 playground. I know that a few people do actually encourage newer players to post more of their accomplishments, but the number of "lol nice"-and-never-return-to-the-thread-again posts massively outweigh them.

It also seems to me that the moderation team is getting slightly over-zealous with regards to thread locking/deletion - as has been said, one or two posts derailing a discussion shouldn't warrant the entire thread to be closed. Neither should a couple of slightly off-topic posts which still add something to the thread.

Look on the bright side - we're not quite ScoreFAQs yet. We don't have racist flaming in every other thread, or flamewars based on ability to play the game. Most of us can type coherently, and there's no public hatred between anyone ruining the forums. Until it gets to that point, there isn't any need to worry.

In closing:
1. Go read Rickles' wiki page.
2. NfskMjmMal2's Wall O'Text Of Destiny
3. EWiggen raises an excellent point.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
FBMrider86 wrote:
However, I just want to say one thing....what exactly is someone who threatens you over the internet going to do?

Harassment is in many ways more scary than somebody showing up on my front step and shooting me dead. The constant barrage of messages I received at one point drove me to the point where I wasn't mentally sound for a (thankfully very brief) time.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but if it's reached that point, you need to take a step back from the computer/video game and just say "wow, what a loser". Now if you met these people IN person and were threatened IN person, I could definitely see you being worried (as would anyone).

CleverTangent wrote:
FBMrider86 wrote:
Consequently these people probably aren't that bright.

One of the stalkers I've met is one of the most brilliant people I've ever seen.

You met your stalker???....well....I'm glad you're still with us .

CleverTangent wrote:
FBMrider86 wrote:
I've been threatened countless times, each time I've insulted them to the point of silence or them leaving the game I'm playing.

Your definition of "threaten" and mine are very different.

My definition of threaten is when someone says to me "I will break your (insert bone(s))/kill you/kill your family". You know my usual reply? "OK, call me when you're out front." Not another word is spoken, and I've waited patiently....no one ever showed.

I wanna make it clear I'm not trying to insult your intelligence CT (especially since intelligence is something seldom seen in 16 year olds), but it seems to me you're just over-analyzing these situations. Don't put so much effort into to these people, after all, they're probably 13 year olds whose parents aren't home. And even if they're not, look at it this way....someone who is going to ACTUALLY harm you...is probably not going to be playing a video game or using the internet.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Rickles  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly wrote:
iimeanyii wrote:
PiemanLK wrote:

Quoted for truth, through experience and seeing others have it done to them. No need to tar everyone with the same brush, because it just isn't true.

I believe the Accomplishments forum should either be saved for people's wiki pages, or not count towards overall post count - I fully agree with the sentiments that it's just a +1 playground. I know that a few people do actually encourage newer players to post more of their accomplishments, but the number of "lol nice"-and-never-return-to-the-thread-again posts massively outweigh them.

It also seems to me that the moderation team is getting slightly over-zealous with regards to thread locking/deletion - as has been said, one or two posts derailing a discussion shouldn't warrant the entire thread to be closed. Neither should a couple of slightly off-topic posts which still add something to the thread.

Look on the bright side - we're not quite ScoreFAQs yet. We don't have racist flaming in every other thread, or flamewars based on ability to play the game. Most of us can type coherently, and there's no public hatred between anyone ruining the forums. Until it gets to that point, there isn't any need to worry.

In closing:
1. Go read Rickles' wiki page.
2. NfskMjmMal2's Wall O'Text Of Destiny
3. EWiggen raises an excellent point.

Are poll threads really that bad? once in a while they are a good way to get quick opinions. I had a favorite movie thread once and i loved scrolling through and looking up movies. For someone else, I can see how it seems there is no discussion, but i never make a thread about something that I'm not interested in discussing. I loved looking through and seeing peoples favorite movies. Is something like that really bad for the forums?

anyway, full opinions on the state of scorehero can be found in my Sig pic. feel free to comment. (or join the slow clap that sprung up... )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are poll threads really that bad? once in a while they are a good way to get quick opinions. I had a favorite movie thread once and i loved scrolling through and looking up movies. For someone else, I can see how it seems there is no discussion, but i never make a thread about something that I'm not interested in discussing. I loved looking through and seeing peoples favorite movies. Is something like that really bad for the forums?

I really agree there. I hate when I find a nice thread where people discuss their favorite movies or something that I like that has been locked.
sedron  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananaman300 wrote:
Quote:

I really agree there. I hate when I find a nice thread where people discuss their favorite movies or something that I like that has been locked.

I've wondered about it too, but I think the bottom line is that poll threads oftentimes have little/no discussion value. The OP will ask something relatively simple, then everyone who replies will either say A or B. If the posters don't really explain why they prefer one choice over the other, then the topic is likely to be locked. They can also be easy ways to start flame-wars, which can result in something like this. While that example is really a joke, it still shows a good example of how poll threads can go.
Rickles  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sedron wrote:
bananaman300 wrote:
Quote:

I've wondered about it too, but I think the bottom line is that poll threads oftentimes have little/no discussion value. The OP will ask something relatively simple, then everyone who replies will either say A or B. If the posters don't really explain why they prefer one choice over the other, then the topic is likely to be locked. They can also be easy ways to start flame-wars, which can result in something like this. While that example is really a joke, it still shows a good example of how poll threads can go.

Well if it's a yes or no opinion question, then I'd say it deserves a lock, but i can't say i agree when something like a favorite movie thread is locked. I like reading through the answers. Well this one for sure is up to the mods, but I'd really like to see that change.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
Well if it's a yes or no opinion question, then I'd say it deserves a lock, but i can't say i agree when something like a favorite movie thread is locked. I like reading through the answers. Well this one for sure is up to the mods, but I'd really like to see that change.

I think it depends on the discussion value of the thread. The real problem with poll threads occur when people just post away without even really reading the OP or thinking about the answer. For example, let's say someone made a thread entitled "What's your favorite color?". In the OP, they said "Blue". And that was it. That kind of stuff should be locked immediately, IMO. There's no current discussion. There's no practical opportunity for discussion to form. Just about everyone who posts in that thread probably took more time to actually type out their answer than to think about what their answer would be.

On the other hand, let's use the movie thread as an example. The title and OP don't have much too it, but there's still some potential for discussion. What I would do is say something along the lines of this:

"Maybe we can try giving reasons why a we like certain movies. What did you like about it? Was the plot original, and did it grab your attention? How much do you think the characters and their actions added to the story? What do you think could've been done a little better?"

We don't want to disappoint by closing off threads that are potentially "healthy" for this community. Again, individual posts and users can be dealt with separately, but that doesn't mean it should be ruined for others.

¯\(°_o)/¯
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NfskMjmMal2 wrote:
[On the other hand, let's use the movie thread as an example. The title and OP don't have much too it, but there's still some potential for discussion. What I would do is say something along the lines of this:

"Maybe we can try giving reasons why a we like certain movies. What did you like about it? Was the plot original, and did it grab your attention? How much do you think the characters and their actions added to the story? What do you think could've been done a little better?"

We don't want to disappoint by closing off threads that are potentially "healthy" for this community. Again, individual posts and users can be dealt with separately, but that doesn't mean it should be ruined for others.

¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeah, this is how I have always felt. When I think of a "poll" thread I don't think of something like "Favorite movie" because it has DISCUSSION value. You don't discuss in a poll. You simply vote and walk away. The only problem is with "discussion polls" is when they fail to carry a discussion and/or turn into flame wars. Unless it's Coke vs Pepsi; then it's epic.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
[...] anyway, full opinions on the state of scorehero can be found in my Sig pic. feel free to comment. (or join the slow clap that sprung up... )

I've read this, and I'm a bit offended that you've generalized everything that I said as a "bawwww", but fine, I can't choose your words for you.

Also, I just now noticed that this thread got moved. Just goes to show how observant I am. ^_^
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm seeing some pretty strong parallels between these types of threads and the community perception of the Guitar Hero series as a whole. In my (admittedly limited) experience talking to people and reading threads in the Miscellaneous GH forum, I've noticed that people tend to like best the game that they were playing when they fell in love with the Guitar Hero series. There's no replacing that feeling you get from finally putting in the time and energy to work your way up from Easy to Medium to Hard to Expert, and when you finally beat Expert you feel like you've conquered the world. You spend the rest of your time playing that game attempting to recreate the feeling; whether by five-starring everything, piling up FCs, or getting really high scores on tough songs, but (for me, anyway, I might not be speaking for most people) nothing ever quite measures up. Still though, you're immensely enjoying yourself because the memories are still there and the new achievements do mean something.

Then another game comes out. You're really excited to buy it because you think it will bring you the same feelings the old one did. But it doesn't; you realize you're just doing the same stuff you did on the old one except it's easy now and tedious. Plus, it's just...different. Things just don't seem quite right. You may still try to go for achievements on the game anyway, and you may even enjoy it quite a bit, but it never makes you feel the same way the old game did. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I think ScoreHero is much the same way. Although you can't define its eras as clearly as you can those of Guitar Hero (each new non-expansion game obviously brings a new era), these types of threads are a testament to the fact that it's not the same as it was months or years ago. And that is exactly what I think bothers some people; I think almost every veteran poster on here can point to a time that they would view as their personal "Golden Age of ScoreHero," which is when they got serious about being a member here and fell in love with the community. When it changes, they might not even be able to pinpoint exactly what changed (although these threads attempt to), but they know that it's not the same ScoreHero anymore. It's just...different.

I'm no exception. My personal "Golden Age" was last summer, a period I tend to think of as the Guide-Writing Era. The proliferation of (mainly GH3) guides during that time in the Technique, Style, and Gameplay forum during that time was one of the honorable mentions in bjwdestroyer's Top Ten Rant thread, but I loved the fact that it was so popular to take the time to write massive posts in the hope of helping people. Of course, I'm not unbiased in that area; part of the reason I liked it was because I was good at it (or at least I wrote more words than anybody else ). For a few months, I was something of a ScoreHero celebrity, and as selfish as it may sound, I was proud of that. When the era ended around the end of the summer or so (causes are debatable, but I think the main one is that we just ran out of stuff that needed guides), it was very similar to the feeling I got when I first played World Tour: things weren't necessarily better or worse than they were in GHIII; they were just...different. And it wasn't a difference that I liked.

The thing is, T, S, and G used to feel like home for me on ScoreHero, but it doesn't anymore. There are still plenty of threads active there and I post when I feel I have something to contribute, but I don't feel nearly as familiar as I used to with everything going on there. The release of World Tour had a lot to do with that (I don't play it nearly enough to post advice on most songs), but I think the feeling started before then. Again, I don't know if the difference was inherently bad or good, but I didn't like it.

Most of my posts nowadays are in the Accomplishments forum. I definitely agree with the OP (and Graf, for that matter) in his assessment that a lot of posts in that forum are worthless +1 posts, there are also plenty of very well thought-out posts there that deserve to count toward a user's total. I don't really see a way around this unless you're going to impose some artificial requirement on how many characters your post has to contain before it counts (and even that would probably just increase the quantity of spam per post rather than decrease the number of spam posts). Again, though, I am probably biased in this matter. I have a very healthy accomplishments thread with almost no +1 posts in it by me or anyone else. Even that, though, ties into the nostalgia I feel for my "Golden Age." I started that thread near the "height of my fame" (so to speak) as a guide-writer, and I quickly got quite a few responses by people I knew from around the T, S, and G forum. While I'd like to believe that anybody willing to put effort into making a thread look nice and willing to type out their thoughts in complete sentences would get a similar response, I'm pretty sure that's not true. Goodness knows the accomplishments themselves didn't warrant that many replies. I've made some great friends in that thread and had some great conversations, but I have to wonder whether those things would have happened had my particular set of talents not coincided so well with one of ScoreHero's popularity phases.

I don't really know what my point is as far as action is concerned; we can't make ScoreHero the way it was months ago any more than we can make Guitar Hero II the most recent and popular game again. Fads come and go on the Internet just as they do in real life. But just as we can still play Guitar Hero II, I think we can still spot flashes of what we used to love about ScoreHero. I know I still reread my guides from time to time; often fixing typos that no one may ever see. I can still remember what it was like to write them and be appreciated for the time I spent, and on the rare occasion when somebody posts a thread asking for help on the Nothing for Me Here chorus, I can point them to my sig and smile. Enjoy your moments; you're certainly not going to get them on any other site. This is the community you fell in love with, remember?

Man, I sound like such a sap.

I guess the real test of all this stuff I'm throwing out there is when the new influx of members from World Tour have had a chance to experience ScoreHero to the extent that we did during our "Golden Ages" following whatever game prompted us to join. If, about a year from now, they start whining about how ScoreHero isn't what it used to be, then we can point them to this thread and tell them we know exactly how they feel.

If not, then I guess this whole post was just the biggest +1 in the history of ScoreHero
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
brad16752  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(long generic post stating my passionate opinions on the situation, with some suggestions that would take a while to write and proofread)

But seriously.......

This has probably been said over 100 times (would rather not read the new novel "Trouble in Paradise" by: Passionate Scorehero members) but there is really no way to resurrect the site to the good ol' days where idiots didn't exist and the the grass was green and the girls were pretty. This argument goes far beyond Scorehero and I'd say the odds of "saving the internet" are low.

"fastens seat belt"

But hey, at least this thread promoted intelligent discussion and well thought out posts, excluding this one.

That's right, I'm a perfect example. Feel free to use me to prove your points.
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you who say that the "internet drove people to do it" are making the same assumption as Jack Thompson. "Video games drive people to do stuff". Makes perfect sense.

Getting threats from the internet? There's still the same chance that it'll happen in real life, just that the HUGE numbers make it more obvious. There's 300k people on Scorehero, that in itself is already a huge number, the size of a smallish city. Now on other sites like Youtube, there are millions of users. Millions as in the size of a large metropolis. Are you telling me that in a city like, say, Houston, there aren't psychotic people? Honestly, you guys talk about sheer numbers making things obvious in Scorehero and can't apply it to the internet as a whole.

Now please, let's have a conversation that's on-topic, lest this be locked.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:

I think I see your point. I miss all the old mods and I myself miss the guide writing period. I kind of got inspired by people like you and ThirdDay and started writing a few guides (but they were all shitty so I scrapped them) and now I really don't see a lot of guides on the forums anymore. The forum in general has slowed down, and that's bothered me, because before I used to make posts because I enjoyed doing it, and now...there's not much to post about. And I miss all the old mods; Matt left, Kaiser left, Hailz left, sock and elx aren't around much, Deimos and Ewiggen post occasionally, and whenever they left a message it was either a hilarious lock message or something else equally fun to read.

tl;dr we're just a bunch of cranky old change-resilient nostalgic bastards.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my second attempt to write something here, we'll see how it goes...

I wasn't here for the glory days, my join date will show you, and it took me a little while to realize how much better SH is than other forums I've been a part of (anyone else from fretsonfire.net will attest to that), but I eventually realized that I wasn't giving this place the respect it deserves. Not sure when/why that changed, maybe when I ventured out of Misc. GH Disc., who knows. Anyway, I still love SH, though I post alot less. I'm alot less interested, or feel like my input will be ignored, I guess.

One thing I think could be done is to restrict posting or new account creations whenever a new game is released. I'm sure we'll see a lot of new members when GH:M comes out, because it's going to be brutally hard and quite popular. If we enforce lurking for say, the first two weeks of the game, maybe new members will understand the code of conduct by the time they can start posting in the forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: